How do you keep in touch with your teens onboard?

RobinSie

We will be sailing on Escape with an 11 yr old and a 13 yr old. I know we have the option of allowing the 11 yr old to check himself out of splash after a couple hours and I believe the 13 yr old has the ability to come and go from Entourage. My question is to parents of teens as to how you handled keeping in touch. Our previous experience with Iconcierge was that it was unreliable. Should we consider the social media package to use messenger? Is it more reliable? Did you just leave notes and/or require regular check-in times? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and advice.

We always arrange certain meeting times during the day for meals, that way we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner to catch everyone. If everyone is wanting to do different things after the perusal of the daily, we agree to leave notes in a set place stating where people are going. We also have a buddy system, so no youngsters are venturing alone---and it doesn't always have to be the sibling; Mom and Dad are allowed to spend time with their children! My daughter and I will check out towel folding or some other artsy thing, another daughter will run with Dad, and our son will hit the craps table with me, while daughters go dancing and hubby hits the sack! And sometimes they are allowed to venture forth with new friends, but have to have parental approval first. This has worked well for us.

We pretty much spend our time together. But, if someone wants to do something they do it and we meet at an arranged time. We always eat meals together so we usually meet in the room before the meal.

I waited till my kids were grown to cruise again...

Seriously, tell them where to be and when..you are the parent..

We know we are the parents and the kids know we are the parents. We will be doing things together and having our meals together. I was more concerned about if something unexpected comes up, like if our son twists his ankle playing basketball...or if one of them starts feeling sick. We do love spending time together, but we also enjoy different activities and allowing our kids some autonomy to hang out with new friends.

We brought a package of post it notes and left them in the cabin when

They ventured but meals were together and we had check in times

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the same thing. Meals were always together, and there was a curfew set. They always knew where to find us at any moment on the ship, and visa versa.

We have always used the Iconcierge app and really haven't had a problem. Just have to make sure you do not close it out on your phone. We also make sure that we have a meeting time/place just in case.

Our oldest carries her phone and we pay for the app on board. It works... most of the time. If she is leaving to go do something out of the plan for the day, she is to call us so we know where she is. Other than that, meals together, and a curfew, and the normal ground rules, no other peoples rooms (no going to other peoples rooms and waiting in the hallways), no going out of common areas, BOYS only in group activities in common areas. Our 15 year old is pretty responsible though.

We have not yet let the 11 year old check herself out of kids club, but she has a phone and the app as well so she can call for pick up if needed.

We always arrange certain meeting times during the day for meals, that way we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner to catch everyone. If everyone is wanting to do different things after the perusal of the daily, we agree to leave notes in a set place stating where people are going. We also have a buddy system, so no youngsters are venturing alone---and it doesn't always have to be the sibling; Mom and Dad are allowed to spend time with their children! My daughter and I will check out towel folding or some other artsy thing, another daughter will run with Dad, and our son will hit the craps table with me, while daughters go dancing and hubby hits the sack! And sometimes they are allowed to venture forth with new friends, but have to have parental approval first. This has worked well for us.

this seems reasonable.

remember, cruise ships are floating cities. bad things can happen anywhere. kids still need to be watched and parented. i would also have a rule that they never, ever, never go into anyone's stateroom under any circumstances (or bring anyone to their stateroom). these are the only places without cameras.

My dd does not have a phone, she used her iPod and the iconcierge and it works great. She needed to tell us when changing venues and when headed to the room (I learned from another poster that even if you lock the door, someone with a key card can still open it... ahem).

Tell your kids where you'll be, and have them come find you to OK their next plans. That's the best way...physical check ins. Texting tells you NOTHING about where they are, or their condition. Trust, but verify! Make them come to you for permission for the next adventure!