New Coffee Card

LARGIN

Hopefully those people who actually paid for their coffee cards have another cruise booked through the end of August next year to use up their punches.

Otherwise, full suites and elites abused the unlimited internet perk and now you only get a fixed set of minutes that vary in three increments by the length of the cruise. Although with ***** you will pay by the day or get a certain level of use as a perk.

In the same way full suites and elites abused the coffee card exchange by selling them on eBay and now you only get a coffee card package that expires at the end of the cruise with the advertised potential of packages that vary by cruise length.

I’m sure the Princess “fine print” has them covered.

I agree. I remember people on CC saying they left one punch on the card to get free brew on the next cruise. While this was not breaking any rules, at the time, I don't believe this was the intent of the card. Princess saw what was going on and decided to start restricting the card. Looked on ebay today and a person has several cards for sale with Regal and a voyage number on back. Again not breaking any rules, but Princess has decided to close this loop hole. If one has several cards and wants to get some value back, might be time to sell before they expire.

But if I'm not mistaken, that practice... free brewed on subsequent cruises, ended years ago. So how is that impacting this change? Even then, I'm not sure that brewed coffee actually costs the line all that much.

Hopefully those people who actually paid for their coffee cards have another cruise booked through the end of August next year to use up their punches.

Otherwise, full suites and elites abused the unlimited internet perk and now you only get a fixed set of minutes that vary in three increments by the length of the cruise. Although with ***** you will pay by the day or get a certain level of use as a perk.

In the same way full suites and elites abused the coffee card exchange by selling them on eBay and now you only get a coffee card package that expires at the end of the cruise with the advertised potential of packages that vary by cruise length.

I’m sure the Princess “fine print” has them covered.

I don't remember any internet perk being included with a suite.

The newer ships have a concierge lounge for suite guests. It includes a machine that will make specialty coffees. DH enjoyed a couple of cappuccinos from it last year when we sailed in a suite on the Royal Princess.

please post a link to that "promise"

Princess had that "promise" on their web site, but removed it when they changed to having the punches on your cruise card account instead of on a physical card.

So, a month ago you could see that promise, but no longer.

But here is what is printed on the back of the coffee cards I have: "Unused specialty coffees redeemable on next voyage."

This does not promise all future voyages, just your next one.

I agree. I remember people on CC saying they left one punch on the card to get free brew on the next cruise. While this was not breaking any rules, at the time, I don't believe this was the intent of the card. Princess saw what was going on and decided to start restricting the card. Looked on ebay today and a person has several cards for sale with Regal and a voyage number on back. Again not breaking any rules, but Princess has decided to close this loop hole. If one has several cards and wants to get some value back, might be time to sell before they expire.

I've sold any number of cards on eBay and I don't see how this is an abuse, or a loophole, or anything else. Princess gave me the cards and did not tell me I could not sell them. Accordingly, I can and have. Never had a complaint. Arguably it costs them revenue. Not my concern. Inventorying my coffee cards and wondering if I can use them up on the CB in August ...

You’re quite welcome [emoji3].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I notice that 3 weeks ago, you were asking how a mini-bar trade works:

"How will the mini bar setup work? We want to trade out for 2 coffee cards. Anyone done this?"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56207646&postcount=1

It's odd that you are now an expert, and feel you should advise me on what I should do,

or should have done in the past.

I was told onboard when I purchased at the international Cafe that unused punches do not expire, and my cards do not have any expiration date listed.

Please post a link to a picture of any of these cards with an expiration date. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately when they told you the punches didn't expire it was true, BUT

they've changes their rules & applied them retroactively to include the cards sold prior also.

It appears that Princess's management people just don't care about their promises made any longer. They just make up the rules as they go along.:mad:

Logically they could have just changed their rules for newly issued coffee punches without issuing paper cards & let the old cards cycle out of existence in a few years but that wouldn't have created immediate profits.

A question that I don't believe has been asked so far in this thread? If you exchange the mini bar for the coffee card that will now be on your cruise card, Will you now have to hand over your cruise card each time you ask for a brewed coffee or tea to allow them to check if you still have at least one speciality coffee in credit?

If this is the case then it will be worth doing a check on the computerised accounts periodically to establish if they have actually charged you for it?

It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has experienced this so far as we are on the Sapphire in 3 week's.

And I wonder how it will work out for us single cruisers. Is it still two people getting up to 15 specialty drinks plus unlimited coffee for the length of the cruise? Can you designate who gets the other one? What's the procedure? I suspect it will be limited to cabin occupants and so I'll just keep the minibar.

I don't ascribe any bad faith. I suspect they just want to get out of the coffee card game, it is one less thing for the barista to worry about. Especially if there are problems with counterfeiting as no doubt there are.

I notice that 3 weeks ago, you were asking how a mini-bar trade works:

"How will the mini bar setup work? We want to trade out for 2 coffee cards. Anyone done this?"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56207646&postcount=1

It's odd that you are now an expert, and feel you should advise me on what I should do,

or should have done in the past.

I am not an expert, just a newbie elite with 3 cruises booked between now and January, and just wanted to get info from you experts on how the elite program works.

I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I was looking at my own experience using coffee cards, and the new system works for me. Perhaps if I had hoarded "more than a dozen" cards in the past, and they were changing the rules, I would be as upset as you are. Let me make myself clear...I agree with you, they said the cards were worth 15 drinks, now after next summer they are void. That sucks.

A question that I don't believe has been asked so far in this thread? If you exchange the mini bar for the coffee card that will now be on your cruise card, Will you now have to hand over your cruise card each time you ask for a brewed coffee or tea to allow them to check if you still have at least one speciality coffee in credit?

If this is the case then it will be worth doing a check on the computerised accounts periodically to establish if they have actually charged you for it?

It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has experienced this so far as we are on the Sapphire in 3 week's.

The rules for the new coffee package say that you get "complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate" for the voyage. It doesn't say that you no longer get them after using up your 15 specialty coffees. I noticed they've taken away mention of getting free hot tea. I wonder if this is an oversight or if it is really gone. I enjoyed getting free tea with my coffee card on the Royal last December.

The rules for the new coffee package say that you get "complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate" for the voyage. It doesn't say that you no longer get them after using up your 15 specialty coffees. I noticed they've taken away mention of getting free hot tea. I wonder if this is an oversight or if it is really gone. I enjoyed getting free tea with my coffee card on the Royal last December.

I only used the coffee cards for cappuccinos (with my punches) and the specialty teas.

It would be REALLY sad if they've eliminated them. :)

(And whoever cruises with us on our next several cruises is in for a treat if they want anything from my 10 or so cards. I won't sell them but I'll be darned if I let them just get wasted!)

Like most things that Princess does, they do is half cocked & try to repair it after the fact.

I would hate for them to be my lawyer preparing a contract of sale. :cool:

Like most things that Princess does, they do is half cocked & try to repair it after the fact.

The thing that bothers me most is that I can find three different pages on the Princess web site that discuss the changes, and they each say slightly different things...leaving all of us, as well as staff on the ships wondering what the "REAL" rules are. It's pretty simple to write it up once and then cut and paste. :-)

And I wonder how it will work out for us single cruisers. Is it still two people getting up to 15 specialty drinks plus unlimited coffee for the length of the cruise? Can you designate who gets the other one? What's the procedure? I suspect it will be limited to cabin occupants and so I'll just keep the minibar.

I don't ascribe any bad faith. I suspect they just want to get out of the coffee card game, it is one less thing for the barista to worry about. Especially if there are problems with counterfeiting as no doubt there are.

When you purchase them now, you have to tick the box in front of the name of the person buying the coffee program. So whomever "buys" the coffee also gets to use the free fresh brewed coffee.

I only used the coffee cards for cappuccinos (with my punches) and the specialty teas.

It would be REALLY sad if they've eliminated them. :)

(And whoever cruises with us on our next several cruises is in for a treat if they want anything from my 10 or so cards. I won't sell them but I'll be darned if I let them just get wasted!)

When are you sailing? I will take you up on that! LOL!

Worse if they were your surgeon.

Your friends and relatives would have to post on the princess facebook page to have you recover.

When you purchase them now, you have to tick the box in front of the name of the person buying the coffee program. So whomever "buys" the coffee also gets to use the free fresh brewed coffee.

Or they're the one who has to go get the coffee in the morning while the other on lies in bed. ;p

Princess had that "promise" on their web site, but removed it when they changed to having the punches on your cruise card account instead of on a physical card.

So, a month ago you could see that promise, but no longer.

The promise being that the punches never expire and were transferable?

Thank you for the follow up.

If you exchange the mini bar for the coffee card that will now be on your cruise card, Will you now have to hand over your cruise card each time you ask for a brewed coffee or tea to allow them to check if you still have at least one speciality coffee in credit?

You can use all of your "punches" and still get the unlimited fresh brewed coffee/tea.

However, you will need to hand over your cruise card each time so they can check that a coffee "card" actually has been assigned to that card. It is possible that after a day or two they could recognize you and then might not ask to see the card unless you needed to use a "punch."