Why Miami?

FLL is pretty simple now that the construction is finished. 95 to 595 E and that takes you right to port security gate.

I take the turnpike to 595....little bit further west, but usually a lot less congested...usually anyway. A traffic tie up on 95 or the turnpike can happen at anytime of course.

Huh??!! :confused::o

Freedom sailed out of Miami? When she was brand new I thought she was home ported in Ft. Lauderdale until she later came up to Port Canaveral.

I cruised on the Freedom OTS out of Miami in the summer of 2007. I believe you are thinking of the Oasis OTS.

I never said I take I-95 all the way....I jump on the turnpike off 95 south at Jupiter.

Jupiter is at least 365,000,000 away. That sounds like an awfully big detour just to avoid a little traffic.

If the only focus is ease of access, parking and getting to and from the cruise, then Ft. Lauderdale has an edge. But if there is any interest in the destination before the journey, Miami wins hands down. Ft. Lauderdale is easy, but uninspiring. It always feels so generic to me. The same chain restaurants as everywhere else, etc...

If I have a day or two prior, I'll pick Miami every time. Heck, I've even done that when I'm sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

In addition, the sailaway from Miami is much nicer than Ft. Lauderdale.

I guess it all depends on what you're after. But I'm THRILLED to see RCI growing their Miami presence!

I never said I take I-95 all the way....I jump on the turnpike off 95 south at Jupiter.

Why would you lump driving to the Port of Miami in with a trip to the Keys? Totally different drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, many...many times have driven through that traffic, as that is how we get to the Keys. My sister has a house in the Florida Keys. We also drive the motor home towing a Jeep down to the Keys. You want to talk about rude and inconsiderate drivers going through Ft. Lauderdale and Miami that think the total of a 50 foot rig can just hop on over a lane to let them in...when they don't realize there is traffic on the other side of us?

I have no intention of continuing that traffic "pleasure" by going into down town Miami and spending time there. The drive past Monkey Jungle is one of the worst for incoming cars onto the highway.

The DH lived many years in Ft. Lauderdale once he got out of Vietnam. He finally moved up here to get out of what he called "the crunch" and is why I call it that.

Personal preference. To each their own.

You obviously don't know that you don't drive through downtown anymore to get to the port...

The PortMiami tunnel opened years ago. It connects directly to the highway. You come out of the tunnel at the cruise parking. It couldn't be faster or easier.

I'm also not sure what you mean about the drive past Monkey Jungle being the worst for the highway. Monkey Jungle is nowhere near any highway.

I drive our camper as well and I am sorry, I just can't relate to your doomsday view of South Florida. It's just kind of odd. But more importantly, other people read these forums and accuracy is important. What if someone changed their plans because of your comments about disastrous traffic that doesn't actually exist?

Edited by BNBR

Why would you lump driving to the Port of Miami in with a trip to the Keys? Totally different drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that too. When driving to the Keys you would take the western turnpike extension which is absolutely nowhere near PortMiami or downtown.

I don't understand switching to the turnpike at Jupiter either. Just stay on i95, outside of rush hour, traffic is non existent through palm beach and broward.

POM is even simpler with the new tunnel.

I don't know if I'd say "simpler" - I mean, 595 literally ends at the entrance to Port Everglades! But both are as easy as can be, which is why I don't understand why anyone would care enough about Port Everglades vs. PortMiami, at least to the point of adjusting travel plans. That makes no sense at all. Book the cruise you want to do, both ports are highly accessible and barely 25 minutes apart.

What and why the big push to change all the cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami? I know they didn’t ask me or the rest of the cruising world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

tugboat,

Where did you read about Royal "changing all the cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami"?

Please provide a link so we all can read this article.

Thanks,

Suzy B

PC does have the drawbridge on north side, but that rarely affects a Royal ship.

Yeah, we've gotten delayed by that a couple of times. Still, PC is our favorite port.

What Voyager class was that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Voyager, Explorer, and Navigator used to regularly sail out of Miami. Explorer and Navigator sailed on Saturday with one going west and the other east. Voyager sailed on Sundays.

I would like to do Navigator's southern sailing but Ft. Lauderdale is much more convenient for me. I don't want to sail out of Miami again.

PC does have the drawbridge on north side, but that rarely affects a Royal ship.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Port Everglades has drawbridge issues also.

port-everglades_8feeac48-ec30-4297-b7f2-805e920de19e.jpg

pamplet-2nd-bridge.jpg

Port_Miami_Tunnel_overview.jpg

The Canaveral Port Authority will vote on going out to bid on a planned new cruise terminal set to debut in late 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/06/26/port-canaveral-may-seek-builders-for-new-150m.html

Yeah, we've gotten delayed by that a couple of times. Still, PC is our favorite port.
Beautiful launch last night. No pictures though. Nice rumble, big crowd for 12:45 am

Port Everglades has drawbridge issues also.

port-everglades_8feeac48-ec30-4297-b7f2-805e920de19e.jpg

pamplet-2nd-bridge.jpg

Port_Miami_Tunnel_overview.jpg

The Canaveral Port Authority will vote on going out to bid on a planned new cruise terminal set to debut in late 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/06/26/port-canaveral-may-seek-builders-for-new-150m.html

I thought they started already. They've started demo of Terminal 3

When are folks down there going to wake up the train will win every time. Miami is not the only city with trains running in the streets but it seems to be taking a little longer to educate the public

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have the same issue here ever since they opened the Sunrail. There's no way to accidentally be hit by a train. It's on tracks, you know exactly where it's going!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app