Cancelling P&O auto tips - does this hit P&O in the pocket or the staff?

Harry Peterson

Tipping is not an accepted culture in the uk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really

What part of the UK are you talking about? It’s very much accepted everywhere I have lived - and do you know what it makes us nicer people

The fact is that some in the service industry have jobs with zero hours and minimum wage and tipping them - provided you have had good service - is the norm

Getting fed up the way some cheapskates try to justify their behaviour. Can afford TAG watches but won’t give a waiter a few pounds. You must be really proud

Really

What part of the UK are you talking about? It’s very much accepted everywhere I have lived - and do you know what it makes us nicer people

The fact is that some in the service industry have jobs with zero hours and minimum wage and tipping them - provided you have had good service - is the norm

Getting fed up the way some cheapskates try to justify their behaviour. Can afford TAG watches but won’t give a waiter a few pounds. You must be really proud

What a pompous response. I have lived all over the uk and tipping has never been expected. Lots of people work for minimum wage and don’t get a tip. Where has TAG watches come from.

You may see it as absurd over tipping but I see it as dividing the £7 tips per person per day between the cabin steward, waiter and assistant waiter. We didn't remove the ag's in order to save money

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

So it just shows how absurd the £7 a day per person auto tips are and how they have no relationship to reality.

Why should we tip the hairdresser. Why do people,only want to tip certain trades. Why do we tip, and if we do why do certain people have to brag about it. It is nobody else’s business, if you do it fine, you don’t have to tell the world about it, if you,don’t once again that’s fine. All this rubbish about subsidising other peoples cruises is just plain daft, silly and childish.

Most of us tip and if people didn't brag about not paying AG things would quietly go on as normal amongst regular tippers and it is the wind ups of the Tightwads that cause a response from nice people.

Really

Excellent,my sentiments too.

Try this strategy.

1) cancel tips.

2) always mark staff survey excellent. Costs nothing and do we really want any member of staff however bad to become unemployable.

3) tip in cash as you think fit.

I find it somewhat tacky for P&O to expect passsengers to do their job for them. Worse even as those “how did we do emails”

David

Try this strategy.

1) cancel tips.

2) always mark staff survey excellent. Costs nothing and do we really want any member of staff however bad to become unemployable.

3) tip in cash as you think fit.

I find it somewhat tacky for P&O to expect passsengers to do their job for them. Worse even as those “how did we do emails”

David

Spot on - couldn't agree more. And as one who always paid up very happily and readily, on the basis that it was a small amount to pay to improve the appalling pay meted out by P&O to its hardworking staff, I'm now taking the same line following what I learned in this thread.

The staff don't lose out in any way (in fact they gain from the cash tips), and only P&O shareholders take the hit. I can live with that!

Really

So when the DPD driver delivers tom your home and you know, or should know, that he is on a zero hours contract and minimum wage do you tip him (or her) ? When you go into your supermarket and the check out operator in on zero hours contract as most of them are these days do you tip them? What about the guy who empties your dustbins or the one who sweeps the street. Do they get tipped by you. I don't think so.

Yes I am going for a week on QV in queens grill. It has taken the best part of 18 months saving our pensions to afford this treat. The butler wont gat a tip. Well I guess I can live with that.

Yes I am going for a week on QV in queens grill. It has taken the best part of 18 months saving our pensions to afford this treat. The butler wont gat a tip. Well I guess I can live with that.

Well must be a good pension, because we’re still earning a working wage and the reason we book 2 years out for a standard balcony cabin on any ship we sail on is to save up for that, and we pay gratuities. No treat for us, just hard work, savings and paying our dues. Glad you can live with not tipping your butler, oh to afford a cruise with a butler.

And 14 days on Ventura in January that you aren’t able to pay auto gratuities for because you can’t afford it.

Most of us tip and if people didn't brag about not paying AG things would quietly go on as normal amongst regular tippers and it is the wind ups of the Tightwads that cause a response from nice people.

Nice people don't call other people names.

Bravo. And what riles me even more is that P&O have one of the lowest gratuity rates at £7 pppd, that’s just over the equivalent of $9, whereas we happily pay $14.50 pppd on RCI and Celebrity. Even Cunard is more than P&O at $11.50 pppd.

What a pompous response. I have lived all over the uk and tipping has never been expected. Lots of people work for minimum wage and don’t get a tip. Where has TAG watches come from.

Maybe not expected, but welcomed by those in the service industry due to the low basic wages paid. Love to know where you’ve lived where tipping wasn’t expected. Even Uber now asks if you would like to leave a tip for your taxi ride after the completion of the ride.

Just been out for dinner in the city centre, couple of cocktails, did I tip, of course, pizza in a well known chain, did I tip, definitely as the staff are wonderful and deserve it. Maybe it’s just a city thing :rolleyes:

Josy53 - I`m shocked by your comment regarding how people who "dont pay tips can afford excursions / drinks etc " quite frankly that has nothing to do with you or anybody else how people pay for their holidays...

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over something VOLUNTARY...

Do whatever works for you !!!!!!!!!!!

An alternative view is you would have to be a bit silly to hand over money voluntarily to P&O in the knowledge that doing so made no difference to the amount of money the staff get.

Nice but dim?

This has probably been answered but I'm still trying to get my head round this so wanted to check.

It is true that if I remove the auto-gratuities then that doesn't affect the amount of money that the staff get paid?

If true and then I tip them in cash that actually means they get more money?

If both true then the auto-gratuity is not a tip but instead is just an extra cost for the holiday which doesn't directly benefit the crew.

And 14 days on Ventura in January that you aren’t able to pay auto gratuities for because you can’t afford it.

Sorry, arithmetical error. If there are two of you travelling, it is 28 days on Ventura not 14 in order to be asked for the £392 in auto gratuities that you say you cannot afford to pay.

This has probably been answered but I'm still trying to get my head round this so wanted to check.

It is true that if I remove the auto-gratuities then that doesn't affect the amount of money that the staff get paid?

If both true then the auto-gratuity is not a tip but instead is just an extra cost for the holiday which doesn't directly benefit the crew.

Some would have us believe that the answer to both your questions is yes but I believe the real answer is that we simply don’t know because it appears as though P&O have exercised their right to keep the remuneration of their staff private.

Oh my goodness! I'm really not sure what to do now, I want to remove AGs and tip in cash after all I've read on here but we're freedom dining and I don't want to have to carry cash about every night to tip waiters as we will probably dine in a few different places. I liked AGs as it was nice to think tips were taken care of for you. If removing them doesn't affect what they get then I'm tempted to lower the amount just a little and then tip the CS in cash so maybe that way everyone's still getting something (?). If I was club dining I'd def go back to cash fully but we like freedom dining. At the end of the day we all go on holiday to relax and wind down so don't want to be worrying about tipping every single night.

Sam.

Yes and yes.

The only thing that has any effect on staff pay is the marking you give on the customer experience form. Anything less than 'excellent' and the crew suffer.

And yet you are sailing on Queen Victoria in the Queens Grill?? I can't help feeling the butler won't be happy to not get a tip.
LOL,perhaps you should post this on the Cunard board.I had shall we say a disagreement with that lot up top when they said they tip barrow loads of dosh and us peasants in Brittania avoid the last night in the MDR so we don't tip.

Yes and yes.

The only thing that has any effect on staff pay is the marking you give on the customer experience form. Anything less than 'excellent' and the crew suffer.

But not in Freedom dining as you cannot give marks each night. No idea how the bonus system can work there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

An alternative view is you would have to be a bit silly to hand over money voluntarily to P&O in the knowledge that doing so made no difference to the amount of money the staff get.

Nice but dim?

Nothing wrong with doing what you think is right but I have emailed P&O twice and spoken to their GR regarding having gratuities included in the cruise price.

Let's not ban tipping threads but posters should exercise a little more restraint with their comments, and a little more respect for other poster's views on this, or indeed any topic.

I do believe there is one issue that the majority agree upon, and that is that gratuities should be included in the cruise fare and the cruise line should be responsible for paying all their staff a fair wage. That would leave each passenger to decide whether they wanted to give any staff member a little extra, if they have received special service.