Copy of passport for ID?

3. I do know that I NEED my passport when we disembark. And if my passport was stolen in port and I didn’t have it, while I am sure I would eventually get home, it could cause me to miss my flight.

I agree with your post with the exception of a minor point. You do not NEED a passport to enter the US, assuming you are a US citizen. A birth certificate / drivers license will suffice in about 90% of the cruises. Even if you have no identification at all, if you are a US citizen, Customs / Immigration must let you back in the country. You will be moved to a separate area and questioned. They will likely call to obtain your state BMV records, get a picture of you to verify your identity and then let you pass. You will certainly be let in, but there will be a delay.

Same with San Juan at the security checkpoint at the pier (last time we were there, though it have have changed since).

I was on a cruise out of San Juan in April. Since the ship left at 10:00pm, I went on an off the ship 3 times while in port. Each time I entered they asked for ID along with the S&S card.

Cozumel. I always have to show ID with S&S card before entering that gift shop going back to the boat.

We’ve always done Carnival excursions in Cozumel, getting back to the ship 15 minutes before sail away. Maybe that’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

to answer your question it is a big definite no.

Bakersdozen, you sure you sail Carnival? Our ID is always checked at the port entrance before getting to the ship. The ship never asks for ID, except S&S. They may not really look at it very intently but they do ask to have S&S and photo ID ready.

Lol, when you get a minute, check my signature. Yes, I sail with Carnival, though I’m not sure what the cruise line has to do with the port authorities. I’ve never had to show anything but my S&S card to the people at the port gates.

The passport debate is why this time on renewal I paid the extra $40 for a passport card. This way I can carry my passport with me and if I get stranded, I can fly home. The passport card will be locked in the safe as backup in the event I lose my passport book. I was born overseas so it isn't as simple as driving to a local hospital to obtain a copy of my birth certificate.

"I am not overly concerned about being in a foreign country without a passport, I've been in dozens over the years without one before."

really, how did you get into the foreign country, surely not on an aircraft

We’ve always done Carnival excursions in Cozumel, getting back to the ship 15 minutes before sail away. Maybe that’s why.

Probably has everything to do with it. When we re-boarded at Freeport there were hundreds of passengers waiting to get back aboard and once it hit a certain time they just started waving people through. (And to avoid confusion you should probably mention that in your response to these types of questions since an ID is normally required.)

"I am not overly concerned about being in a foreign country without a passport, I've been in dozens over the years without one before."

really, how did you get into the foreign country, surely not on an aircraft

Yes, really. Mostly by ship but every now and then by aircraft, every now and then by car (although I should have said dozens of trips, not countries). Just had a little green card that said "Member of US Armed Forces". Worked then, would work now under the same circumstances. My comment though had more to do with my own personal comfort level with walking around a foreign country without a passport.

Yes, really. Mostly by ship but every now and then by aircraft, every now and then by car (although I should have said dozens of trips, not countries). Just had a little green card that said "Member of US Armed Forces". Worked then, would work now under the same circumstances. My comment though had more to do with my own personal comfort level with walking around a foreign country without a passport.

But you did carry a passport. Just one not issued by the State Department, but by the Department of Defense.

But you did carry a passport. Just one not issued by the State Department, but by the Department of Defense.

I've never heard of a military ID being referred to as a passport:confused:. It certainly didn't verify my citizenship as a US citizen because you didn't need to be a citizen to have one. In any event as I said, the comment was made more in relation to me being comfortable in walking around in a foreign country without a passport.

I just noticed on John Heald's FB page asking a poll about what do you use for ID to get back onto the ship Either a Passport/Copy of Passport or Photo ID.

Are you allowed to use a copy of a passport to get through port security? We always brought our passports, but are always nervous in case it gets lost. If we could just bring a copy of the passport and leave the original on the boat that would be much better.

I asked this question on the poll, but I received both no's and yes's.

We just use a color copy of our passport (laminated), we have never had any problems getting back on the ship for the Caribbean & Mexican Rivera. Half the time all they want to see is your sign and sail card!

Without exception a copy of a passport is not acceptable anywhere ID is needed. In a foreign country your driver's license can sometimes be used to drive a car, but cannot ever be used for exit or entry at the frontier.

That little steel box in your stateroom is about as safe as the button on a trouser pocket. You might as well have your passport with you in a foreign country. Should real authorities ask for ID (as opposed to the mall cops at most ports) you will be on your way faster than explaining why you only have a copy or other unacceptable form of ID like a birth certificate or a driver's license.

When you leave the USA, "you are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy". You need to carry your passport.

No you don't. Don't let this poster scare you. You may be in a foreign country, but no one is going to harass you for a passport when your tourist dollars are their primary source of income.

When you re-board the ship, you'll need your sail & sign card only. But SOME PORTS will ask for a photo ID to enter the port area (before you board). So yes, take a photo ID. But no, don't take your passport unless you plan on missing the boat.

#Truth

I just noticed on John Heald's FB page asking a poll about what do you use for ID to get back onto the ship Either a Passport/Copy of Passport or Photo ID.

Are you allowed to use a copy of a passport to get through port security? We always brought our passports, but are always nervous in case it gets lost. If we could just bring a copy of the passport and leave the original on the boat that would be much better.

I asked this question on the poll, but I received both no's and yes's.

No. Try this and you won't sail..... Edit to say I meant from the homeport. Possibly in another country, but not sure. Sorry.

No you don't. Don't let this poster scare you. You may be in a foreign country, but no one is going to harass you for a passport when your tourist dollars are their primary source of income.

When you re-board the ship, you'll need your sail & sign card only. But SOME PORTS will ask for a photo ID to enter the port area (before you board). So yes, take a photo ID. But no, don't take your passport unless you plan on missing the boat.

#Truth

Does anyone plan on missing the boat or does it more happen by accident? #queztion

I vividly recall an official in Nassau, after asking to see passports, giving one poor soul a tongue lashing on the difference between a passport and the piece of plastic she handed him. We all stood silently waiting for the line to advance, hoping it wouldn't be too long a wait before the long walk out to the ship. An uncommon experience. But it does highlight the fact that generalizations, especially when human nature is involved, are prone to error.

I vividly recall an official in Nassau, after asking to see passports, giving one poor soul a tongue lashing on the difference between a passport and the piece of plastic she handed him. We all stood silently waiting for the line to advance, hoping it wouldn't be too long a wait before the long walk out to the ship. An uncommon experience. But it does highlight the fact that generalizations, especially when human nature is involved, are prone to error.

Did he did this to all 2000 people that left the ship without a passport?

Well, don’t know what that person handed him, but since you don’t even need a passport to board a cruise, a passport can’t be required to re-board the ship in port. A drivers license is sufficient for photo ID.

Were you on a cruise ship or flying into Nassau? What official? Where? There are no customs in Nassau when you get off or on the ship. Not that i often agree with Rob, but not everyone carries passports on a cruise ship.

Were you on a cruise ship or flying into Nassau? What official? Where? There are no customs in Nassau when you get off or on the ship. Not that i often agree with Rob, but not everyone carries passports on a cruise ship.

It was probably a photo ID they wanted. That’s how it was in Cozumel. Photo ID + S&S card.

I'm speechless!

Well, don’t know what that person handed him, but since you don’t even need a passport to board a cruise, a passport can’t be required to re-board the ship in port. A drivers license is sufficient for photo ID.

et. al.

It was leaving the cruise terminal to re-board our ship.

A DL was proffered.

But none of this matters. The entire point is that it only takes one border official having an off day, being poorly trained, or just wanting more time with the subject. It makes no difference if the official is in the right or not. They have all the power in this situation.

but since you don’t even need a passport to board a cruise, a passport can’t be required to re-board the ship in port. A drivers license is sufficient for photo ID.

But none of this matters. The entire point is that it only takes one border official having an off day, being poorly trained, or just wanting more time with the subject. It makes no difference if the official is in the right or not. They have all the power in this situation.

Like on both counts

et. al.

It was leaving the cruise terminal to re-board our ship.

A DL was proffered.

Well they would if they actually WERE "border officials". But the guys working security at the ports are not "border officials". In fact they're little more than rent-a-cops.

I have never once encountered an actual border official at any cruise ports outside the United States re- entry.

Furthermore, if it were a requirement, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you that on the ship instead of just a picture ID.