Currency for tipping

If I were a shop clerk who had never seen one before I wouldn't take it. How would I know that it's "equally legal tender"? I think most anyone's reaction when seeing one for the first time would be "Is this real? Uhhh, no thanks ..."

I've never seen a $10,000 but I would take it in a hurry ;p

If I were a shop clerk who had never seen one before I wouldn't take it. How would I know that it's "equally legal tender"? I think most anyone's reaction when seeing one for the first time would be "Is this real? Uhhh, no thanks ..."

Low denomination bills are almost never counterfeited aa there is little or no profit to be had. The US $20 bill has been heavily counterfeited, but never the $2. Most shop keepers who regularly deal with tourists and accept foreign currencies (many won't) are pretty knowledgable.

<snip>

Try spending one in a shop in Europe sometime and let me know how that goes! :D

I would never try spending one in Europe. I respect the country I am visiting and use their currency. So, in Europe, I use the euro. I don't expect them to take my currency or any other ;)

I would never try spending one in Europe. I respect the country I am visiting and use their currency. So, in Europe, I use the euro. I don't expect them to take my currency or any other ;)

That's my philosophy as well!

I'll never forget the scene in a bakery in Copenhagen (1980) where an American tried to pay for her purchase with USD. The employee actually threw her money back at her with a very loud: "We don't accept such money!"

If you go back in this thread, you will find many recommendations that you tip the crew, in Europe, with US$. I can't understand why anyone would recommend getting US$ just for tipping.

If you go back in this thread, you will find many recommendations that you tip the crew, in Europe, with US$. I can't understand why anyone would recommend getting US$ just for tipping.

I was responding to a different post about currencies in countries.

I have read the thread and I suspect you saw my post as well that any common currency is gratefully accepted for additional tipping by the crew. You might need to scroll back a page ;)

there is no need to bring USD just to tip the crew unless you want to or it is the currency of your country. Euros, GBP are happily received in Europe.

I have found $2 bills useful in providing a gratuity for Housekeepers at hotels in the United States.

It's this behavior that those who are arguing against $2 bills are really talking about. Why go to the trouble of getting these rare bills to use as tips? To be cutesy? To be known as "that guy?" Same thing with 50-cent coins and dollar coins.

It's this behavior that those who are arguing against $2 bills are really talking about. Why go to the trouble of getting these rare bills to use as tips? To be cutesy? To be known as "that guy?" Same thing with 50-cent coins and dollar coins.

My reason for obtaining $2 bills: it reduces the number of dollar bills that I feel I ought to carry with me for such gratuity use.

My reason for obtaining $2 bills: it reduces the number of dollar bills that I feel I ought to carry with me for such gratuity use.

I suppose that is a valid reason - still somewhat difficult to do. I traditionally give my teenage grandchildren “sets” in gift cards for birthdays: one of each:$1, $2, $5, $10, and $20. I have to go to several banks -several times to get them — while legal tender, they are very rare and not in wide circulation —- in my mind not worth the effort just for small tips — a stack of ones is not that cumbersome.