Medication advice for those travelling far and wide on Azamara

excitedofharpenden

• a letter from the prescriber detailing the medicines with the generic names for the medications can be helpful for border control checks, and in case medicines have to be replaced or medical help is required

• In 2008, I was targeted by a sniffer dog on entry into Australia.
  • I had already filled in a form on the flight from Singapore to Sydney, so offered the dog handler sight of my tablets which were in their original boxes, in my hand luggage. I was told this wasn’t necessary.
  • On leaving Sydney after our cruise on Celebrity Mercury, my case was scanned and opened, as it contained a bottle of cough medicine. I was asked to take a sip.

Edited by upwarduk

Greece is particularly strict on any medication containing codeine, such as Co-codamol (Solpadeine) and the opiate based Tramadol pain relief. Japan, Singapore, China including Hong Kong and most Arabic countries are as well.

If you need a covering letter for your medication in the UK be aware you may be charged £25 for it and it would not be considered a priority for busy GP's to complete so allow plenty of time to get it before your holiday.

I think it’s always an idea to mention to the GP when getting a repeat prescription that you will be going abroad. Our GP has a comment box on the repeat order form we can use for that

Yes as Lottie says it’s a £25 letter he sometimes says we need other times he’s slightly altered what we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cancelled our cruise to Japan when we discovered that one of my DH's meds was illegal there and he was unable to find a substitute that worked for him. Our TA was surprised, but we did not want to risk it. I had never thought about this before that woman was arrested last year (Egypt?) - once I did, I was very surprised at the various restrictions countries have.

• 2 months later...

UAE is also very struct regarding medications brought into the country. You can access the list by putting, "UAE Drug Control Department, Ministry of Health’s*List of Controlled Medicines." into Google. There will be a pdf that comes up. If the med is restricted you can sometimes bring it in if you are a visitor, and get a CTC of the scrip from your doctor.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

For many years we have been aware of restrictions on medications, particularly Pseudoephidrine and Codeine, both once commonly used in "Cold & Flu" tablets.

As part of a regular visit, my G.P. does not charge any extra for a covering letter. :D

A request outside of a visit may incur the same $5 fee as a repeat prescription outside of a regular visit.