Anyone Visited Onboard Shops Since New Vendor Took Over? Impressions?

Roz

We will be going on the Maasdam this summer. We will have a $100 onboard credit. I was hoping that I might be able to get some earrings, ring or a bracelet or something for my daughter's birthday. She will be turning 15. Do you think that they have anything reasonable in the shops?

Did not check the prices but the display cases of watches were replaced by display cases of what looked like more formal costume jewelry; not fine jewelry. Nothing looked particularly memorable or eye catching. Might want to check out the sporstwear in the other shops - they had some cute things for younger persons - but not so much for the more "mature" shopper.

Thanks for your replies. I think that if they have some Swarovski jewelry that might work. Our credit can't be used for gratuities, we don't really drink that much and we tend to do our own shore excursions.. so it was just a thought that we could get her a little something with it.

Circle Hawaii cruise store was loaded with Alaska stuff????????????,,really.

Not uncommon. Ship just finished Alaska cruise season and wanted to clear out remaining Alaska inventory at mark down prices.

We will be going on the Maasdam this summer. We will have a $100 onboard credit. I was hoping that I might be able to get some earrings, ring or a bracelet or something for my daughter's birthday. She will be turning 15. Do you think that they have anything reasonable in the shops?

Cynthia, just got off the Prinsendam and they had some nice bling on sale. (Sort of like the $10 sale but the rings were more). My friend bought 2 for her daughters.

I think they were around $20 each.

Can't promise you will have the sales as the ships can vary but definitely keep your eyes open and check your When and Where. Hope this helps.

Circle Hawaii cruise store was loaded with Alaska stuff????????????,,really.

Yes it was; at least on the Westerdam circle Hawaii this past April.

As to the quality of merchandise in the rebranded store, it took five minutes to check it out and I never returned.

Cynthia, just got off the Prinsendam and they had some nice bling on sale. (Sort of like the $10 sale but the rings were more). My friend bought 2 for her daughters.

I think they were around $20 each.

Can't promise you will have the sales as the ships can vary but definitely keep your eyes open and check your When and Where. Hope this helps.

Thanks. We will check it out.

I took several photos on Maasdam in April, and included them in a long review. Here are links to the individual posts that contain the photos of the new shops:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044635&postcount=83

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044664&postcount=84

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044678&postcount=85

They may at least give you an idea of what the shops have and how they look.

Dave

Thanks for your replies. I think that if they have some Swarovski jewelry that might work. Our credit can't be used for gratuities, we don't really drink that much and we tend to do our own shore excursions.. so it was just a thought that we could get her a little something with it.

The credits always say that but credit is credit once it’s out on your account.

I took several photos on Maasdam in April, and included them in a long review . . .

Dave

Nieuw Amsterdam’s main shop, I think the equivalent of the one Dave posted pics) was nice enough, this past spring. Lots of Land’s End swimwear, some lovely cropped linen pants (perhaps Hatley brand?) that were pricey and nice, but nothing spoke to me nor came home with me. I did not bother with the specialty shops, since we don’t need watches or jewelry.

My experience with the Shops On Board is mixed.

I purchased a DAM T-shirt that had all of the current ships in the fleet listed, a nice light blue. My size of Large was OK when I bought it; not so after it was laundered.(And, it was not because of too many of the Happy Hour appetizers.)

July, 2017: I purchased a nice T-shirt with a blueprint-type of design of the Amsterdam on it. Same Large size: I have worn it often and laundered it frequently. It's a quality piece of clothing for what I paid.

I hope such an article will be available when I sail on Nieuw Statendam.

Agree with the posters...the merchandise in the revamped shops is "terrible"...not appealing. T-shirts have a garish logo, and the quality seemed to be inferior. Can't comment on the jewellery section, as I wasn't in the market for a Rolex watch.

On the recent Westerdam Circle Hawaii cruise there was no Hawaii specific merchandise, but several days before returning to Vancouver, Alaska merchandise appeared in the shops!

I took several photos on Maasdam in April, and included them in a long review. Here are links to the individual posts that contain the photos of the new shops:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044635&postcount=83

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044664&postcount=84

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56044678&postcount=85

They may at least give you an idea of what the shops have and how they look.

Dave

Your ship had a lot more going on/better look/better looking merchandise than the shops than the Veendam......!!! At least from your pictures it seems that way!

I have not been impressed with the hal stores for years, so I didn't have high hopes for the new stuff.

Most of it, is probably made in china anyway.

Sandra

Take a look at your clothes tags. Hardly any clothing is made in the USA anymore, no matter where you purchased it.

Take a look at your clothes tags. Hardly any clothing is made in the USA anymore, no matter where you purchased it.

I was thinking the same thing.

Roz

Why can't your credit be used for gratuities? It always has been, in my experience.

Why can't your credit be used for gratuities? It always has been, in my experience.

I may be mistaken but I believe it is because the significant markup on merchandise and beverages means that the actual credit extended by the cruise line is lower than the face value, whereas that would not be the case if it were used to cover gratuities. In other words, they can afford to look generous while encouraging guests to spend the money on the company's products/services.

We are just off the Maasdam. My DH was happy to see the watch department had picked up Shinola, a company based in Detroit that hand assembles Swiss movement watches and does their own leather work. Surprisingly, they also had refurbished watches for sale. One afternoon, the shops had a jewelry and watch auction. I did not attend so I do not have any details to offer.

We have seldom seen anything in any ship store that has been worth our while to buy and drag home. Quite the opposite. In general we have found the product more expensive and the selection limited compared to what we can purchase at home. We are not the least bit interested in branded merchandise. Why on earth would I pay good money for a garment that had a HAL, Princess, Celebrity, whatever logo on it. We are not that vain.

Agreed to that, with one exception. We were on a cruise about a decade ago and they had some last of stock sale going on. I picked up a really nice water proof windbreaker, in HAL light blue/****e, with a logo. I think we got it for something like $10. It really good quality and I've been using it ever since. It has outside zippered pockets, one interior pocket and a hood.

I may be mistaken but I believe it is because the significant markup on merchandise and beverages means that the actual credit extended by the cruise line is lower than the face value, whereas that would not be the case if it were used to cover gratuities. In other words, they can afford to look generous while encouraging guests to spend the money on the company's products/services.

Unless there has been a recent change, your OBC can be used for paying your gratuities. Over the past few years, I've frequently purchased OBC specifically to cover my gratuities when the USD/CAD exchange rate has been favourable in advance of the cruise. Not only is it one more expense paid off ahead of time, but I've saved on the currency conversions.

As I understand it, the OBC is credited to your onboard account and applied to any debits as they are charged to your account, whether for items purchased in the shops, a bottle of wine ordered in the MDR or hotel service charge (gratuities).

The only source of potential confusion here is in understanding what you mean by "gratuities". If referring to the hotel service charge (HSC), your OBC can be used. If you are referring to the additional amount paid to a cabin steward or other crew member in addition to the HSC, however, then no, your OBC can't be used. (Of course, if you have refundable OBC, you can get a cash refund of unspent OBC and use that to pay your steward, but it isn't really OBC at that point.)