Bumped by NCL with no transfer service to HNL airport?

AllenO

As part of our Hawaii cruise we booked an early bird tour to Pearl Harbor that included a drop off at the Honolulu airport. A few days before we departed we got a notice that our tour was cancelled so we figured we'd make other arrangements once we got on board. On board we were told that our excursion was not cancelled but overbooked so we got bumped even though we made the reservations months ago. They then told us they had no other options to get us to the airport and we were on our own. While we can get a taxi to the airport with no problem (it's not that far), we really wanted to see Pearl Harbor but can't do that with luggage. IMHO that's pretty shoddy service by NCL. This incident is typical of lots of little things we experienced on board so I don't think we'll be repeat NCL customers

So bottom line does anyone have any suggestions for Pearl Harbor tours that will also handle a luggage transfer to the airport?

TIA

Allen

At present and for the foreseeable future there is no visitor access to the Arizona Memorial due to structural problems discovered last month with the boat landing pier at the memorial. It could be that your tour was cancelled or the number of visitors on the tour were limited because of that. While there are a number of other exhibits at Pearl Harbor, including the battleship USS Missouri, which was brought to Pearl Harbor because it is where the surrender ending the war with Japan was signed.

It's safe to say that virtually everyone who visits Pearl Harbor wants to visit the Arizona Memorial. Not being able to do so really cuts back on the emotional impact of a visit there. Unless you've done it you can't imagine how moving and humbling it is to pay your respects there. I would never say "don't bother going if you can't visit the Arizona Memorial", but a visit to Pearl Harbor won't be the same without it.

Roberts Hawaii is one of the largest, if not the largest tour operators in Hawaii. You might want to see if they have a tour that can accommodate you. We took this tour that included Pearl Harbor when we stayed in Honolulu:

https://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/tours/uss-arizona-city-tour/

There is probably a Robert's tour that will work. OP: Are you aware that the memorial itself is closed and you will not be able to go out to it? The rest of the site is open, but that might impact your decision. I suggest Googling Pearl Harbor to check on the current status.

You might try contacting Roberts Hawaii Tours. They have tours that pick up at the pier when ship docks for Oahu, and also have shuttles to the airport from the pier. They may be able to accommodate you and your luggage on a tour, and drop you off afterwards at the airport. Just a suggestion. Roberts does tours at all the ports. The more tours you book with Roberts - the cheaper the prices.

At the end of the day, whether oversold or cancelled, NCL does not run the tours. The tour provider changed availability and NCL reacted. Most likely because of restrictions the tour provider has been given with the actual memorial being closed.

At the end of the day, whether oversold or cancelled, NCL does not run the tours. The tour provider changed availability and NCL reacted. Most likely because of restrictions the tour provider has been given with the actual memorial being closed.
While the end result is the same , overbooking a tour is on NCL . If the tour is cancelled due

to the operator or weather , it would be unfair to hold them responsible .

You can also check to see which car rental agencies will pick you up at the port, and then you can drop the car at the airport when you are done. Even though the memorial requiring the boat ride is not open, you might want to do a bit of research to see what else they have there (and if you want to stop anywhere else if you get the car) to see if the visit will still be interesting enough.

While the end result is the same , overbooking a tour is on NCL . If the tour is cancelled due

Not necessarily at all. The tour operator gives NCL a number of openings and NCL sells that number, then at a later point the tour operator comes back and informs NCL that there has been a reduction in capacity. Nothing is "on NCL".

Not necessarily at all. The tour operator gives NCL a number of openings and NCL sells that number, then at a later point the tour operator comes back and informs NCL that there has been a reduction in capacity. Nothing is "on NCL".

The cruise companies wield enormous power . If an operator isn't able to deliver previously agreed upon spots on a regular basis , they will be a former supplier . They are in no position to "inform NCL that there has been a reduction in capacity." Not if they want to continue to do business with them .

Yes it very well could be on NCL .

As part of our Hawaii cruise we booked an early bird tour to Pearl Harbor that included a drop off at the Honolulu airport. A few days before we departed we got a notice that our tour was cancelled so we figured we'd make other arrangements once we got on board. On board we were told that our excursion was not cancelled but overbooked so we got bumped even though we made the reservations months ago. They then told us they had no other options to get us to the airport and we were on our own. While we can get a taxi to the airport with no problem (it's not that far), we really wanted to see Pearl Harbor but can't do that with luggage. IMHO that's pretty shoddy service by NCL. This incident is typical of lots of little things we experienced on board so I don't think we'll be repeat NCL customers

So bottom line does anyone have any suggestions for Pearl Harbor tours that will also handle a luggage transfer to the airport?

TIA

Allen

I'm confused. The highlighted statement indicates that your cruise is over as you are speaking about it in the past tense. So...why are you asking about tours and transfers since your cruise is complete? :confused:

The point is that NCL does not overbook. If the tour operator cuts the number of seats available, then you get bumped. There is NOTHING in NCL’s control.

The cruise companies wield enormous power . If an operator isn't able to deliver previously agreed upon spots on a regular basis , they will be a former supplier . They are in no position to "inform NCL that there has been a reduction in capacity." Not if they want to continue to do business with them .

The key word is COULD. The post I quoted did not say that. It says it IS on NCL.

Actually they can notify NCL that a change has occurred. If for any reason (many possible come to mind) become impossible or unsafe to operate at normal capacity, the contractor would be legally obligated to either cancel the excursion completely or operate at reduced capacity.

In your situation, even it is not on NCL unless they choose to keep the contractor and they become a repeat offender.

So if a contractor tells NCL they will be running an excursion with a capacity of 80, NCL sells 80 tickets, and later for whatever teh contractor comes back to NCL and says we can no longer take 80 we can only take 50, it is NCL's fault for selling 80 tickets?

TIA

Allen

Sorry things did not work out for you. Due to some repairs that need to be made there are almost no tours to Pearl Harbor and if there are, you can't visit the ship. I am confused as to why you got bumped and also not sure why there wasn't transportation from the ship unless it too was sold out.

Hope you find a cruise line that works better for you than NCL> That is the reason there are so many choices. What works for one does not always work for another. Do keep in mind, POA is an American flagged ship thus many things might be a little different than on other NCL ships.

Public bus was the way to go. For Seniors it cost $1 pp. We walked about a quarter of a mile from the port, caught bus number 40 (there are others as well). Took a taxi from there to a luau. We weren't going to the airport.

True everywhere except in Hawaii. Roberts is the main show in town and they have as much clout as NCL.

At present and for the foreseeable future there is no visitor access to the Arizona Memorial due to structural problems discovered last month with the boat landing pier at the memorial. It could be that your tour was cancelled or the number of visitors on the tour were limited because of that. While there are a number of other exhibits at Pearl Harbor, including the battleship USS Missouri, which was brought to Pearl Harbor because it is where the surrender ending the war with Japan was signed.

It's safe to say that virtually everyone who visits Pearl Harbor wants to visit the Arizona Memorial. Not being able to do so really cuts back on the emotional impact of a visit there. Unless you've done it you can't imagine how moving and humbling it is to pay your respects there. I would never say "don't bother going if you can't visit the Arizona Memorial", but a visit to Pearl Harbor won't be the same without it.

Roberts Hawaii is one of the largest, if not the largest tour operators in Hawaii. You might want to see if they have a tour that can accommodate you. We took this tour that included Pearl Harbor when we stayed in Honolulu:

https://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/tours/uss-arizona-city-tour/

So given this structural issue and needed repairs, has anyone seen a timeline for reopening of the Arizona Memorial? I have clients travelling on POA at the very end of September, so I'd like to give them advance warning if they will be unable to do the memorial before boarding the cruise.

So given this structural issue and needed repairs, has anyone seen a timeline for reopening of the Arizona Memorial? I have clients travelling on POA at the very end of September, so I'd like to give them advance warning if they will be unable to do the memorial before boarding the cruise.

No estimated reopening date has been given. They just say it's closed indefinitely.

I think many of you are missing that the OP bought her excursion ticket MONTHS ago she says. So if the tour operator sold 80 ticket and can now only take 50, it's highly unlikely she wasn't in the first 50........MONTHS AGO she said. I've cruised NCL long enough to know excursions like this don't sell out months in advance.

NCL should be looking out first for the passengers that booked first. This is the issue. And THAT is in NCL's control.

There are 0 tickets now, doesn’t matter how many or how long ago it was booked. NCL was mistaken to tell OP it was overbooked.

Arizona Memorial is closed indefinitely, so is Volcano National Park on the BI, I suppose those tours were booked months ago and canceled too. The cruise ships were bypassing BI altogether.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think many of you are missing that the OP bought her excursion ticket MONTHS ago she says. So if the tour operator sold 80 ticket and can now only take 50, it's highly unlikely she wasn't in the first 50........MONTHS AGO she said. I've cruised NCL long enough to know excursions like this don't sell out months in advance.

NCL should be looking out first for the passengers that booked first. This is the issue. And THAT is in NCL's control.

Absolutely not. NCL should bump people by priority. Suites get a seat no mater what. Then Ambassadors, Platinum Plus, Platinum, etc.

After that, random cancellation is fine. No such thing as first come first serve.

Last report that I saw was at least 18 months, if not longer.

• 4 weeks later...
Last report that I saw was at least 18 months, if not longer.

Ouch. I heard they were supposed to "start" work on it in December. That would help explain the 18 months. We still plan on going in Feb.

If anyone else runs into problems with finding something to do with your luggage, you can check it at Pearly Harbor for I believe $10 per bag.