Fort Lauderdale...Renaissance or Hyatt

Iamthesea

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites, but it is booked for our dates. I've done research on several hotels. Plus, over the years, we have stayed at many hotels near the port and even out at the airport. The Renaissance was one of them many years ago when it was almost brand new. Of course, now it has been refurbished within the last few years, but we have not stayed there. Nor have we ever stayed at the Hyatt 17th Street Convention Center.

If you have stayed at either in the last few years, which would you recommend...the Renaissance or the Hyatt? They are both in our target area and within walking distance to the Southport Raw Grill... that we love. So I am more interested in condition, friendliness and comfort of the rooms. Thank you!

Hyatt Place 17th st. convention center. Clean, quiet,friendly staff, breakfast, $2 per trip shuttle to or from airport, close to many eateries. It is our go to hotel after stying in many in Ft.Lauderdale . Our 19th cuise coming up in september.

Hyatt Place 17th st. convention center. Clean, quiet,friendly staff, breakfast, $2 per trip shuttle to or from airport, close to many eateries. It is our go to hotel after stying in many in Ft.Lauderdale . Our 19th cuise coming up in september.

Agree completely but I thought the $2.00 per room shuttle charge was just for FLL-hotel and it was a bit more from hotel back to FLL ...perhaps that has changed recently.

Thank you all!

Ashland, we actually decided to book the Hyatt before coming back to this thread last night. :) The rate was $249 for a King, which is around what we normally pay for rooms in Ft. L.

I've put in a request for another room thru Value Trip ($153) and will cancel the first reservation if accepted. I have never heard of VT. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know if it works out. Either way, I think we are happy with our choice.

megr1125

- It was a tough choice choosing, but it came down to the Renaissance not having breakfast and Internet included in the stay. And the check-in time is an hour later than The Hyatt. Our flight should get us to The Hyatt right before check-in time. We could check into the Renaissance earlier for an extra fee. :rolleyes:

We agree with you about the transportation. It's more than often easier and quicker to grab a cab. If the shuttle is nearby, then we will take it. ;)

Thank you all!

Ashland, we actually decided to book the Hyatt before coming back to this thread last night. :) The rate was $249 for a King, which is around what we normally pay for rooms in Ft. L.

I've put in a request for another room thru Value Trip ($153) and will cancel the first reservation if accepted. I have never heard of VT. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know if it works out. Either way, I think we are happy with our choice.

megr1125

- It was a tough choice choosing, but it came down to the Renaissance not having breakfast and Internet included in the stay. And the check-in time is an hour later than The Hyatt. Our flight should get us to The Hyatt right before check-in time. We could check into the Renaissance earlier for an extra fee. :rolleyes:

We agree with you about the transportation. It's more than often easier and quicker to grab a cab. If the shuttle is nearby, then we will take it. ;)

You're so very welcome.....Just be patient with expecting a quick response from Valuetrips....If you've gotten nothing from them within a few weeks (which isn't unusual) call Hyatt Place front desk directly (not the reservation number) and give them your name and dates...more than likely they will have your reservation....from then on you deal directly with Hyatt Place...Remember be patient VT sends batches of reservations to Hyatt Place....The price you will get using VT is the best price you will find...some on here just expect immediate confirmation and that's not the case here...regardless that, they are a very popular website to book the Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale and so there's the delay factor at times.

Of course you can use a taxi or Uber but once you get your luggage and make the call to the front desk their shuttle comes very quickly..this worked out so well for a few of our family members that arrived after us.

I know you'll enjoy the Hyatt Place ... have a great cruise.

Value trips is very slow as of lately, just be patient as said above. We have used them now 4 times over the last few years. The hotel has very friendly staff. The driver sits out front of the hotel waiting for people to go to the airport. When at the airport he will come from the hotel and get you, its about 10-12 min tops about 3-4 miles. There is what is called the Sun Trolly that runs from in front of Publix in the Harbor Shops to the beach for one dollar P.P.

Do you need to call for the hotel shuttle to Hyatt Place? From their website, it sounds like the shuttle is scheduled every 30 minutes and you just wait in the hotel shuttle pickup area for it to come.

Also, we are a group of 13 arriving on the same flight. Is the shuttle big enough to accommodate our group?

You're so very welcome.....Just be patient with expecting a quick response from Valuetrips....If you've gotten nothing from them within a few weeks (which isn't unusual) call Hyatt Place front desk directly (not the reservation number) and give them your name and dates...more than likely they will have your reservation....from then on you deal directly with Hyatt Place...Remember be patient VT sends batches of reservations to Hyatt Place....The price you will get using VT is the best price you will find...some on here just expect immediate confirmation and that's not the case here...regardless that, they are a very popular website to book the Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale and so there's the delay factor at times.

Of course you can use a taxi or Uber but once you get your luggage and make the call to the front desk their shuttle comes very quickly..this worked out so well for a few of our family members that arrived after us.

I know you'll enjoy the Hyatt Place ... have a great cruise.

Do you need to call for the hotel shuttle to Hyatt Place? From their website, it sounds like the shuttle is scheduled every 30 minutes and you just wait in the hotel shuttle pickup area for it to come.

Also, we are a group of 13 arriving on the same flight. Is the shuttle big enough to accommodate our group?

Yes..our group was told to call...You'll have no problem with 13 of you but I would certainly mention it when you make that call. You can also call and speak to the front desk before your arrival to give them a heads up for your large group.

Yes..our group was told to call...You'll have no problem with 13 of you but I would certainly mention it when you make that call. You can also call and speak to the front desk before your arrival to give them a heads up for your large group.
Thank you. Good idea. We travel a week from today. I can hardly wait!

Sounds like Hyatt Place is a hit. Am I right that there is no shuttle to the cruise terminal, just a low fee shuttle to and from the airport? What would you suggest for transportation from there to the cruise terminal? Favorite restaurants within walking distance from Hyatt Place? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like Hyatt Place is a hit. Am I right that there is no shuttle to the cruise terminal, just a low fee shuttle to and from the airport? What would you suggest for transportation from there to the cruise terminal? Favorite restaurants within walking distance from Hyatt Place? Thanks in advance!

Hyatt Place does provide a shuttle to the cruise port. Just let them know at check in that you want to use it. I think the cost is $10 per person. The port is only minutes from Hyatt and Uber or Lyft is very quick and less than $10 (not per person, per ride). Right across the street in the Harbor Shops are several restaurants and a Publix, around a five minute walk (go out the back door of the hotel).

We have stayed in both. They were both fine. Also stayed in Hilton Marina, Hyatt 66 (now sold), Marriott Courtyard (beach), Westin beach, Westin Ft. Lauderdale, Embassy on 17th, Renaissance Plantation,and Marriott Springhill Suites. They were all fine.

The only one we stayed in (fortunately for one night only) that we would not return to was a Best Western Suites near I95.

One thing we like about the Renaissance on 17th is that it is across the street from Budget Car Rental. We often rent from if we have a few days or pre or post. Instead of paying $30. for Ren. parking we simply park for free where the Budget cars are parked.

We never bother with a van shuttle to the port. Taxi is cheap and much more convenient. Who wants to be squished in a van....and the taxi is often cheaper.

Stay at the Hyatt Place and price it using:

www.valuetrips.com

It's so nicely updated as we where there in March...Our favorite hotel now. I think you're lucky the ES wasn't available...old and tired looking the last time we were there.

Ashland - thanks for the heads up with valuetrips. I just made a reservation with bookingdotcom for a March 2019 room for a precruise stay. I'm going to recheck the rates using valuetrips in September when they possibly have the March rates posted. Hopefully I can save a few $.

Last year we stayed at the ES and you are correct in calling it old and tired for the price.

Ashland - thanks for the heads up with valuetrips. I just made a reservation with bookingdotcom for a March 2019 room for a precruise stay. I'm going to recheck the rates using valuetrips in September when they possibly have the March rates posted. Hopefully I can save a few $.

Last year we stayed at the ES and you are correct in calling it old and tired for the price.

You're very welcome...Valuetrips will release all of their 2019 bookings in September so start checking at the beginning of that month. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

I'm spoiled by my Marriott status...I don't pay for internet or breakfast at the Renaissance. Hyatt Place hotels are fine, but I'm kind of a Marriott-brand snob!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Ditto.

The Renaissance has a very nice, family owned shuttle to port available at the hotel. (Not operated by the hotel.) They designate each shuttle to a specific ship, so no chance of your luggage being offloaded at the wrong ship. You sign up the morning that you sail, for the time you want. No lines of cruisers jockeying to cut in the line, no overcrowding. No it is not free. Last time I did it, it was $7 or $8 per person. Well worth it.

We like to walk over to the Southport Bar and Grill. It's on a canal and has great clam chowder and a seafood plate. DH and I split along with a couple of beers. Nice way to start the vacation. :cool:

We almost always get a taxi.

For what it’s worth, the Renaissance has breakfast in the Concierge Lounge.

According to their website, not on a weekend. Our overnight is a Saturday.

Anyway, wanted to thank Ashland again. Received confirmation from Hyatt today that we are booked for our date. And saving a whopping $100+. :D

We've joined the ranks of the Valuetrips customers, and on July 2 I booked the Hyatt Place for an early November stay. I'm seeing here on CC that VT takes a long time to send the confirmation (assuming there is availability of course), and that the best way to get their confirmation is by calling the HP direct. That being said, do Valuetrips confirm your reservation with an Email or does the confirmation come from the Hyatt Place directly?

Thanks...

My email came from ValueTrips. I put in my request on June 28th and just heard beck today. I had almost forgotten about it!

This was at the top of my email and the mail was marked URGENT.

Delayed due to email delivery issues. We apologize for any inconvenience.