To Do Before Boarding

excited balcony

We are taking an evening flight and arriving at the Miami airport the morning of our departure on Insignia at 6:00am. We are planning to just wait in the airport until our ship boarding time, which is 1:00pm. :rolleyes: I just realized that we will be waiting down by the baggage claim area (not the main airport) because we will need to pick up our suitcases upon arrival. Any suggestions for us beyond just waiting in the baggage claim area for 6-7 hours?

thanks!!

As everyone else will now post too: always fly in at least 1-2 days early to be prepared for cancelled flights/lost luggage/jet lag/ most "bang for your buck" extra vacation on the same airfare/etc.

That said, you're luggage, if not picked up immediately will go to a holding pen (you'll even get an e-mail to that effect if you're a registered FF or otherwise gave them contact info.). Then, use FF free (or purchased) passes to the airline's lounge.

In any case, count me with those folks who say "fly in day(s) before a cruise."

As everyone else will now post too: always fly in at least 1-2 days early to be prepared for cancelled flights/lost luggage/jet lag/ most "bang for your buck" extra vacation on the same airfare/etc.

That said, you're luggage, if not picked up immediately will go to a holding pen (you'll even get an e-mail to that effect if you're a registered FF or otherwise gave them contact info.). Then, use FF free (or purchased) passes to the airline's lounge.

In any case, count me with those folks who say "fly in day(s) before a cruise."

We used Oceania's air program this time and this was our only option without paying additional fees. We fly our THIS Saturday, so whats done is done - for better or for worse. I just wondered if there were options I wasn't thinking of while waiting in the airport. We are not registered FF'ers.

We used Oceania's air program this time and this was our only option without paying additional fees. We fly our THIS Saturday, so whats done is done - for better or for worse. I just wondered if there were options I wasn't thinking of while waiting in the airport. We are not registered FF'ers.

Plan B: take a taxi to South Beach where you have preordered 6-12 bottles of wine at Total Wines. Pick up wine enroute to port (have taxi wait). Drink 1-2 bottles at port while waiting for embarkation.

Next time, take the air credit and DIY air.

Plan B: take a taxi to South Beach where you have preordered 6-12 bottles of wine at Total Wines. Pick up wine enroute to port (have taxi wait). Drink 1-2 bottles at port while waiting for embarkation.

Next time, take the air credit and DIY air.

:'):'):'):')

How much is air credit typically? You do "O Life" and then get $ back for own air?

OP, lots of lounges let you use them for $50 (more or less) pp. Try loungebuddy.com for info about lounges, including the pay ones. I haven't got a clue about the luggage but someone above gave you advice about that. The lounge staff are also extremely helpful, when you go to the lounge BEFORE you pay, ask them about luggage and what can be done to keep it safe. If you have concerns you can just leave the lounge instead of checking in.

Also when I sailed out of Miami many years ago I found I could check luggage really early (perhaps others can weigh in on how early) so you could do that and then take a taxi somewhere for a while....or does Oceania have a pre-cruise tour/transfer? And still another option is to google for Miami private tours and get a private tour to pick you up at the airport and bring you around, then drop you at the port at a time of your choice. If it's private there's a good chance you can get that level of service.

Most lounges I have seen are on the airside so you usually can only use them on the outbound flights

But I could be wrong

If you are not too tired grab your bags & head to either Bayside mall near the POM or maybe one of the hotels like Intercontinental

have breakfast

There used to be a place in Bayside that would store your bags then you could go grab a bite to eat maybe find a place near by that has wine

or head to south beach grab something to eat then hit Total wine before heading to the ship

Check out the Florida Forum for some other ideas

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We have seen people dropping their bags at the dock at 8am when we are departing you could try that then grab a taxi to pick up wine someplace

How much is air credit typically? You do "O Life" and then get $ back for own air?

OP, lots of lounges let you use them for $50 (more or less) pp. Try loungebuddy.com for info about lounges, including the pay ones. I haven't got a clue about the luggage but someone above gave you advice about that. The lounge staff are also extremely helpful, when you go to the lounge BEFORE you pay, ask them about luggage and what can be done to keep it safe. If you have concerns you can just leave the lounge instead of checking in.

Also when I sailed out of Miami many years ago I found I could check luggage really early (perhaps others can weigh in on how early) so you could do that and then take a taxi somewhere for a while....or does Oceania have a pre-cruise tour/transfer? And still another option is to google for Miami private tours and get a private tour to pick you up at the airport and bring you around, then drop you at the port at a time of your choice. If it's private there's a good chance you can get that level of service.

When researching the cost, sign in to your account on the Oceania website and choose the O Life booking option for the selected cruise. After "plan your cruise" you'll be given a choice of air/no air. If you noted the original O Life price for your cabin level, now pick no air and you'll see a lower price on the next screen. The difference is the air credit.

I always take the credit, even if it's less than the cheapest available airfare. I do this because I will probably fly business class and use a combo of the air credit (dollars saved) plus FF miles to get a good bottom m line deal AND still be able to get FF miles.

BTW, depending on destination, I've seen the credit vary from $300 to almost $2000.

About airside - that's why you have to stop in and ask about luggage, as you will, of course, be airside when you land. As long as luggage is safe, then you should be ok and will probably walk right past a number of lounges.

About airside - that's why you have to stop in and ask about luggage, as you will, of course, be airside when you land. As long as luggage is safe, then you should be ok and will probably walk right past a number of lounges.

good to know

Our lounges here ask to see our air tickets for the flight before you are allowed in

Never thought to ask in other airports as we usually have a hotel booked anyway so did not need to kill time when arriving

I belong to Admirals Club and all they want is my membership info, although they can, of course, see my flights. I had checked on flyertalk about this topic though and they had said that even if arriving it isn't an issue. I am not sure about pay lounges or even paid access to Admirals Club, so contact them to ask.

Also, some lounges even have showers and sleeping facilities. There's a "minisuites" chain that charges by the hour as well. Not sure if MIA but check it out if you are interested.

When researching the cost, sign in to your account on the Oceania website and choose the O Life booking option for the selected cruise. After "plan your cruise" you'll be given a choice of air/no air. If you noted the original O Life price for your cabin level, now pick no air and you'll see a lower price on the next screen. The difference is the air credit.

I always take the credit, even if it's less than the cheapest available airfare. I do this because I will probably fly business class and use a combo of the air credit (dollars saved) plus FF miles to get a good bottom m line deal AND still be able to get FF miles.

BTW, depending on destination, I've seen the credit vary from $300 to almost $2000.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just like you, I'm a total FF/status junkie, and DH will ONLY fly business class. Will compare $$ savings by not doing the "custom air" (whatever O calls it) and getting air credit vs paying $ or miles for our air.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just like you, I'm a total FF/status junkie, and DH will ONLY fly business class. Will compare $$ savings by not doing the "custom air" (whatever O calls it) and getting air credit vs paying $ or miles for our air.

Learn to use the ITA Matrix website to find cheapest (though not always most direct) biztix. Note that the site sells no tix.

:'):'):'):')

Go get a day room at the Marriott at the airport, they have a free shuttle and you can store your luggage and have breakfast or lunch and board after 2pm when the excitement is over I agree take the air credit and use FF miles and fly in the day before... dont have to pay of deviation, and all the other stuff and have a nice restful night before...

We were in the same situation on our last Oceania cruise. Arrived at 5 am. We had friends staying at a hotel in South Beach so we took a cab there and told the desk we were waiting for our friends. They never asked who. So we sat in their empty lobby area that had several tables and comfortable chairs and WiFi and they served breakfast. We spent several hours there and no one that worked there cared so I thought next time I find myself in this situation I’m just going to sit in a hotel lobby and do the same thing. Although I hope we never have to arrive early same day again. It was the first time we took Oceania air but it was with it.

We were in the same situation on our last Oceania cruise. Arrived at 5 am. We had friends staying at a hotel in South Beach so we took a cab there and told the desk we were waiting for our friends. They never asked who. So we sat in their empty lobby area that had several tables and comfortable chairs and WiFi and they served breakfast. We spent several hours there and no one that worked there cared so I thought next time I find myself in this situation I’m just going to sit in a hotel lobby and do the same thing. Although I hope we never have to arrive early same day again. It was the first time we took Oceania air but it was with it.

Not a bad idea. But, here's an alternative: if you are a FF with Marriott or Intercontinental (or other big chain hotels near in to the port), you could email/call the Concierge, and ask if you could check your bag for a few hours as a courtesy for your loyalty.

Learn to use the ITA Matrix website to find cheapest (though not always most direct) biztix. Note that the site sells no tix.

Sage advice.

Good news: there is an unaffiliated companion site called 'Book with Matrix' where you cut-and-paste the Matrix itinerary you want and it finds online travel sites that will give it you at that price or less.

Intercontinental hotel neat the POM will hold your bags while you have breakfast there

Others may do the same

Good news: there is an unaffiliated companion site called 'Book with Matrix' where you cut-and-paste the Matrix itinerary you want and it finds online travel sites that will give it you at that price or less.

This is when I absolutely love CC......really helpful information I didn't know:)

This is amazing, thanks for the flight info! I have a cruise leaving out of Seattle in September, which was switched from a February 2019 cruise because I needed the miles in 2018 :> - so instead of direct PHL-SEA I'm going PHL-LAX-SEA, but that was all figured out manually, after looking at a combination of routings. Will have to check out that ITA Matrix, I was working off AA website and Expedia.

Oh, I have two more tips - this is British Airways only:

1. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/collecting-avios/credit-cards/usa/chase-visa-signature for info for 10% discount on British Airways tickets. I think you can use any Visa card to book, not just theirs, and it's off ANY FARE, not just the full price ones

2. See https://advantages.aarp.org/en/offer.british-airways.10047.html for AARP discount on BA tickets, which can be combined with the 10%.

• Save $65 on World Traveller (economy)
  • Save $200 on Club World (business class)

using 3rd party sites for air be sure to read the restrictions associated with the airfare that is cheaper than the airline sites

Even the airline sites have restrictive fares so read the T & C carefully

just saying

Have to admit I've always used the "multi-city" tab for open jaws on ITA Matrix (from A to B, and then from C to A) - a slightly different method than the lifehacker.com link (use "round trip" tab and for A-B then C-A travel enter "B,C" in the "to" field) but I am guessing either would work. Hint: if your search is too broad on Matrix it will time out but still show (partial, and possibly not including the cheapest) results, so playing with progressively narrower searches can help.

A TA last year was the one instance so far where we *have* used O air, all the open jaws were pretty expensive & the total O air credit was low enough that using miles seemed not worthwhile.

We are taking an evening flight and arriving at the Miami airport the morning of our departure on Insignia at 6:00am. We are planning to just wait in the airport until our ship boarding time, which is 1:00pm. :rolleyes: I just realized that we will be waiting down by the baggage claim area (not the main airport) because we will need to pick up our suitcases upon arrival. Any suggestions for us beyond just waiting in the baggage claim area for 6-7 hours?

thanks!!

Whatever you choose to do, don't wait in the luggage claim area of Miami airport. It is one of the most depressing rooms/spaces I have ever been in. It was our first impression of Miami and it was not a favourable one.

Thankfully that changed after we had checked in in the Intercontinental hotel downtown.

So yes, go have breakfast in one of the hotels near Bayside Market, drop your luggage, do a little shopping and then take a cab to the cruise terminal.

Enjoy your cruise!