Begging for Tips

Do a little reading on how that tip money gets spread around and then ask yourself how many of those people you interact with or receive service from. It’s far more than the wait staff in the MDR and your si for steward. Sounds like you’re just cheap or inconsiderate. I imagine you aren’t so in favor of group punishment when it is applied to you for the actions of others.[/quote

I receive service from a bank teller, convenience store clerk, high school secretary, HR person at work, my insurance agent and the lady behind the counter at the post office. I don't go throwing dollars bills at them every time I interact with them...or never for that matter. If you do, you are a better person than me. Sometimes it is as simple as people just doing their job.

Instead of trying to figure out should one Tip or Not, instead of trying to figure out if prepaid gratuities are due or delivered equitably across the workforce, read up on the History of Tipping. When did it begin, the reasons why, etc. Google can be your friend and read several points of view.

Ramona

Between this thread and the "Carnival lines" thread going on, there's a lot of bashing going on. Both of which are proven disingenuous.

Makes me wonder what the motive behind them is. Why do people have so much hate in their hearts for things that don't matter. If you don't like Carnival, there are dozens of other cruise lines that would love to have you. No sense in lying about your experience to make others justify your decision.

I receive service from a bank teller, convenience store clerk, high school secretary, HR person at work, my insurance agent and the lady behind the counter at the post office. I don't go throwing dollars bills at them every time I interact with them...or never for that matter. If you do, you are a better person than me. Sometimes it is as simple as people just doing their job.

So you're not old enough to know that everyone that you listed there gets paid at least minimum wage or much higher and don't have to depend on tips as supplements to their below minimum income?

Between this thread and the "Carnival lines" thread going on, there's a lot of bashing going on. Both of which are proven disingenuous.

Makes me wonder what the motive behind them is. Why do people have so much hate in their hearts for things that don't matter. If you don't like Carnival, there are dozens of other cruise lines that would love to have you. No sense in lying about your experience to make others justify your decision.

This.

So you're not old enough to know that everyone that you listed there gets paid at least minimum wage or much higher and don't have to depend on tips as supplements to their below minimum income?

[/center]

Even if one is not old enough to understand the payment system that encouraged and incubated the tip system, one can in this day and age, read the historical context that gave rise to tipping proliferation.

Ramona

Even if one is not old enough to understand the payment system that encouraged and incubated the tip system, one can in this day and age, read the historical context that gave rise to tipping proliferation.

Ramona

They certainly can if they actually want to.

I just don’t understand some people. Those individuals work extremely hard, both publicly and behind the scenes, to make sure I have a great experience. The overwhelming majority I have encountered are outstanding and go well beyond the minimum to make sure my needs and requests are met. Never in a million years would I punish the whole staff for the actions of a single individual. Seems more like the action of someone looking for any excuse to pull their tips.

Cheap people are full of... excuses.

I really hope cruise ship staff keep and compare notes on cheap cruisers.

Tips are typically split on shore or on ships. Tips on cruise ships are split by a different method than on shore. People who don't understand that should stay on shore.

As for the guy begging for tips, I think it is pure fiction. In any event, anyone who tips or doesn't based on the actions of one individual is soulless.

Well, considering it's Carnival I'll bet the servers ARE desperate. Go near the service desk on the last night or last morning and see how many low-lives and trash aboard are up there to remove the gratuities from their sailing. These servers would be better off on any other line besides Carnival. I'm not a Carnival hater (booked another CCL cruise yesterday) but it's the truth and many of the passengers on Carnival aren't payinging grats no matter what .... That's probably what led to his begging.[/quote

low lives and trash, WOW.

Then look to see and you sail on NCL?? LOL- Please.

I have never had that happen on any of my cruises. Very surprising.

I was just wondering....I was told once that the crew were made aware of which cabins withdrew from the automatic tipping...if this is true then would they not think that those people are more likely to be tipping directly and therefore give them better service cos tips from the other cabins were "in the bag"

Just wondering?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Happened last night, the last dinner of the cruise.

Gratuities were pre-paid.

On the way out, the dining room staff kept saying “please help us, you are feeding our families.”

I know they work hard and everything but I think this crossed a line. It was very uncomfortable and honestly, felt like people begging on the street to the point that I don’t think Carnival is an option anymore as it wasn’t just them.

The ship sponsored excursions were just as bad in this department. The guide and bus driver are one thing, although we don’t need to be reminded to tip as they did. But On one in Mexico, every time we entered a room, the guide would point out that the person standing in the room was also helping—who knows how—and that tips are “not expected but certainly appreciated.”

I can imagine the responses but I assure you I am a good tipper. But it has really gotten out of control and I don’t see how anyone could think it is ok for dining staff to yes, beg, for more tips to feed their families as people are leaving. Thoughts?

I have never had Carnival Staff ask directly for tips, but perhaps these requests have increased due to so many people (judging from posts on these boards regarding tipping) removing auto-tips.

As for excursion guides, they are not Carnival employees (ship sponsored or not). I have found that in certain ports (Mexican ports included) the locals are looking to make a buck however they can. Tourism IS how they put food on their tables.

".it happened and I am sure it IS a terminable offense which is why I didn't say anything but wow......"

The people on the board that know me also know I would have gone to the GM and specifically point out the situation. How would management know there is an issue if they are not apprised of a problem? This is why I always say people are afraid to complain or address a situation that you did not feel was appropriate. We have saying in the restaurant business, people don't complain, they simply don't return.

Surveys are meaningless because they want or expect the highest mark on everything and we all know anything less hurts the employee. The reality it isn't the employee always but many times the company policy that guide the employee is the problem. I agree with coevan I don't complain I just don't return. As far as tips go gratuities have gotten weird in USA. I see tip jars in gas stations even these days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be funny (to me) when someone doesn't prepay gratuities, or later removes them, that person doesn't get service from all those behind the scenes workers they are screwing. I mean the staff who wash the floors and clean the public areas, or stock the buffet, hand out pizza, test and treat the pool/hot tub waters, wash the beach towels, accept, store and distribute ships' wares and products, maintain the electrical and plumbing systems, etc. etc. etc.

Even better, how about security staff giving them some extra scrutiny every time they embark or disembark the ship? I can imagine their howls at GS complaining about the lack of service!

Bingo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 46 cruises, 33 on Carnival, we have never, ever had any Carnival crew "beg" for tips! We have been on 4 cruises this year alone on two different Carnival ships and no "begging" for tips. Also true on the other cruise lines on which we have sailed. Sounds suspect to me.

Your assumption of my age could not be more WRONG. I am of the age to remember when a 10% tip was generous, you rarely if ever saw tip jars on counters, and suggested tips were not printed on your bills at restaurants. And I will never agree with the posts here that I have to tip every worker on the ship. It is not my responsibility to supplement the entire staffs income. To me, a tip is given as an appreciation for good service. The better the service, the bigger the tip. And please read my first post in the thread. I did not say I would not tip.

It would be funny (to me) when someone doesn't prepay gratuities, or later removes them, that person doesn't get service from all those behind the scenes workers they are screwing. I mean the staff who wash the floors and clean the public areas, or stock the buffet, hand out pizza, test and treat the pool/hot tub waters, wash the beach towels, accept, store and distribute ships' wares and products, maintain the electrical and plumbing systems, etc. etc. etc.

Even better, how about security staff giving them some extra scrutiny every time they embark or disembark the ship? I can imagine their howls at GS complaining about the lack of service!

Here's why you don't run a large business

1. Customers are not hostages

2. People that have no direct face to face interaction with guests...wait for it, radical idea, should be paid a fair wage to start with, not rely on tips. You think electricians on ships are in the tip pool? That's laughable.

Here's why you don't run a large business

1. Customers are not hostages

2. People that have no direct face to face interaction with guests...wait for it, radical idea, should be paid a fair wage to start with, not rely on tips. You think electricians on ships are in the tip pool? That's laughable.

I agree that's it's laughable, just as much as persons demanding service but unwilling to tip are even more ludicrous. I know the breakdown of how some cruiselines say they distribute the gratuities. Chengpk says the average crew ship worker makes $600/month. I'd be willing to pay a lot more for my cabin booking to see that crew staff get a decent wage, even though I'm an ex New Yorker and tipping is customary to that City's culture.

For all you people calling the OP a liar, it really does happen. Just because you have not experienced it, doesn't mean it is a made up story. Have you ever actually seen someone die on a ship? No? Then it must never happen, right?

It was a few years ago but our travel mates, elderly and in a handicapped cabin, were hit up by the room steward for money to send back home. Long story about a death and cruise line not even allowing him to contact family etc, etc, etc. We had the same steward and didn't get the sob story. We both had paid tips and treated the steward exactly the same. The other couple were on their first cruise and may have appeared more sympathetic.

A lot could depend on your demeanor. They learn to read people and are selective.

I am by no means saying it is a rampant problem but accept the fact that it does happen.

I agree that's it's laughable, just as much as persons demanding service but unwilling to tip are even more ludicrous. I know the breakdown of how some cruiselines say they distribute the gratuities. Chengpk says the average crew ship worker makes $600/month. I'd be willing to pay a lot more for my cabin booking to see that crew staff get a decent wage, even though I'm an ex New Yorker and tipping is customary to that City's culture.

What I am saying is that skilled workers (electricians and engineers) are not in the tip pool, and behind the scenes people that support hotel and housekeeping should be paid a fair wage, not be made to rely on the tip pool. Tip pool requires that customer facing employees provide great service, since it is a discretionary charge. If you have a terrible stateroom attendant and remove a portion of the gratuity, you impact others you never met or saw. That's patently unfair. But that's the system in place. I know if I get lousy service I'm modifying my tip disbursement. If someone I haven't met or interacted with receives less because of that, that is a shame. But at that point it is up to all the crew members in the tip pool to work together and rely on each other; the weakest link in the chain is what breaks. If I have lousy stateroom attendant it's not my intention to penalize anyone other than that person. But that's not the system. That doesn't make ME the problem, it means the system is flawed. And I'm not going to be guilted into paying for bad service because it impacts someone else. I'd rather that other person I haven't met or interacted with be paid a fair wage. If my cruise costs $20 per person more or $50 per person more, so be it. I am OK with that.

Your assumption of my age could not be more WRONG. I am of the age to remember when a 10% tip was generous, you rarely if ever saw tip jars on counters, and suggested tips were not printed on your bills at restaurants. And I will never agree with the posts here that I have to tip every worker on the ship. It is not my responsibility to supplement the entire staffs income. To me, a tip is given as an appreciation for good service. The better the service, the bigger the tip. And please read my first post in the thread. I did not say I would not tip.

What about the major point that I was making that your comparing bank tellers and insurance salespeople etc to waiters is totally wrong? Of course I agree with you 100% that [extra] tipping is an expected response to above average service but that post that I responded to was not fair to an industry that depends on tips as part of 'base pay'....and if I ever tried to tip one of the tellers at my credit union they might just call the crazy wagon on me :rolleyes:

I'm Australian, and tipping is not part of our culture.

Part of this is due to our Labour laws, which by and large provide for a reasonably fair wage (wait staff in Australia earn $22 - $25 AUD per hour{$17 -20 US} plus some penalty loadings), partly that as a society, due to our distance (historically) from everywhere else, we have grown to be self sufficient and independent, and partly that we are (or believe we are) egalitarian, and expect service and assistance, just as we extend it to others within our work places, as part of our jobs.

Generalities, I know, and I am in no way attempting to aggrandize myself or my country men and women, but it is a fact that in every day life in Australia we just do not tip or expect to be tipped.

Only in Top End restaurants and flea bite tourist traps is there any expectation of a tip, and even there it is seldom pushed.

On my first over seas trip I was aware of the requirement to tip individually (no pre -paid gratuities) and, honestly, the prospect of having to tip mortified me. It coloured my enjoyment of the trip and embarrassed me, as, I assumed, I was embarrassing and demeaning the recipient.

However, adopting the When in Rome principle, I did tip the recommended 15% or thereabouts and came to realise that tipping or not tipping was a mind set, and by necessity or custom, the recipients accepted and expected it as a normal part of their employment.

I'm a lot more experienced traveller and cruiser now, and would not think of not tipping, except in Australia or New Zealand.

End of rant.

I hope it helps you not to think less of my country men (and Kiwis) in our approach to tipping. We've been culturally deprived!