Begging for Tips

You could have said that in the first place. Fake reporting is not limited to Fox.

So sorry....I forgot to tell you what I was wearing at the time too. My bad...NOT. Nothing fake about me. Too bad you don’t trust anyone. Must be a miserable life.

So sorry....I forgot to tell you what I was wearing at the time too. My bad...NOT. Nothing fake about me. Too bad you don’t trust anyone. Must be a miserable life.

Note to self. Investigate the ignore feature. I don't need all the negativity.

I am confused. We always pre pay our tips but if we didn't wouldn't the tips be automatically assigned to our Sail and Sign? So whether we pre tipped or Carnival charged us won't we need to go to the purser to have them removed?

I think the OP was referring to the staff asking for additional cash tips. Therefore, the 'begging' reference. I could be wrong, but I don't think so!

I've suggested, twice, that people look up for themselves the History of Tipping. Maybe some did but more than likely not. This history I'm linking is specific to the USA only. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/18/i-dare-you-to-read-this-and-still-feel-ok-about-tipping-in-the-united-states/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ddc55b54402d

One may also want to look up the history of how the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters came into being.

Tipping, historical in the USA, was done, or not, when a service was offered or provided without the owner of the establishment paying the "worker." You have to trace this back to 1865 and forward.

Ramona

What happened in 1865, or even 1965, has little if any bearing on current practices,

What happened in 1865, or even 1965, has little if any bearing on current practices,

It's not just me that thinks past history has a lot to do with the present and future.

We must always look forward, but we have to understand our history in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past. I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past -- W. Churchill

It's not just me that thinks past history has a lot to do with the present and future.

We must always look forward, but we have to understand our history in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past. I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past -- W. Churchill

Wow, churchill was really out in front on the tip movement.... that is what we are talking about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never had this happen on any of our cruises and I also have a hard time imagining the OP coming on this board and lie about his experience. Regardless, if a waiter asked me for a tip on the last night I wouldn't give him our customary "extra" tip. I certainly wouldn't pull my auto-tips because of the behavior of one employee.

Since my first cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America in May 1983 I have never seen or heard of dining room staff begging for tips. My family always tip extra for outstanding service and have never been disappointed. On a few cruises including my recent fourteen day Canary Islands Cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Independence Of The Seas from Southampton the My Time Dining Room waiter asked us to give him a 10 on the online survey. The Dining Room staff was excellent and they received a 10 from my wife and myself.

Going on my 7th cruise with Carnival and I haven't heard any wait staff ask for more tips. Now the porters asking for tips is a different story. I always tip them but before I could get it out they are asking.

One of these days I'm going to fill a cheap suitcase with bricks, not tip a dime, and see if it makes it to the cabin. :cool:

I've never had this happen on any of our cruises and I also have a hard time imagining the OP coming on this board and lie about his experience. Regardless, if a waiter asked me for a tip on the last night I wouldn't give him our customary "extra" tip. I certainly wouldn't pull my auto-tips because of the behavior of one employee.

Someone lying on Cruise Critic, alert the media.

Seems we have a lot of Polyannas on here with tunnel vision. “It did not happen TO ME so therefore it is a lie”. They say “seeing is believing” but some of you are pretty fanatical about that. :)

No matter. Who cares what you believe. It’s not a big deal (like chair hogs or something). Actually, I have never seen a chair hog so they do not exist. :'):')

Have a nice day.

I never knew that Winnie had ever addressed the issue of tipping. But good job taking a quote completely out of the original context.

Seems we have a lot of Polyannas on here with tunnel vision. “It did not happen TO ME so therefore it is a lie”. They say “seeing is believing” but some of you are pretty fanatical about that. :)

No matter. Who cares what you believe. It’s not a big deal (like chair hogs or something). Actually, I have never seen a chair hog so they do not exist. :'):')

Have a nice day.

The OP asked for "Thoughts?" and a lot of "thoughts" have been offered.

Howdy Pascack Valley neigbor!

The wonderful days of that Song of America as well Zenith etc.. cruising down the North River ..

Professional Wait Staffs.. that was a wonderful time in Town (NYC, NY) . I never knew any Professional to ever ask for a TIP.. Even the Owner of the Iron Horse never asks patrons for reviews either..

Bermuda was and still is one of the most profitable for all cruise lines. Yet NYC got very greedy eh..

Those were great days when Celebrity was Greek owned and bought by RCL :NYSE as the spots in Bermuda for the ship slips..

Since my first cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America in May 1983 I have never seen or heard of dining room staff begging for tips. My family always tip extra for outstanding service and have never been disappointed. On a few cruises including my recent fourteen day Canary Islands Cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Independence Of The Seas from Southampton the My Time Dining Room waiter asked us to give him a 10 on the online survey. The Dining Room staff was excellent and they received a 10 from my wife and myself.

The only way to really help the crews is to make the cruise lines stop the systems that they have in place of underpaying workers and trying to get Guest to pay more out of pocket, the cruise lines are using crew and guest to increase the bottom line profits.

The only way to really help the crews is to make the cruise lines stop the systems that they have in place of underpaying workers and trying to get Guest to pay more out of pocket, the cruise lines are using crew and guest to increase the bottom line profits.

And there is no way that we, the paying guests, can do that unless we all en masse stop cruising and tell the cruise lines that is why we are stopping. The cruise lines are operating like any other business, using the customers and employees to increase profits. That's how business works. If this system is going to change it will be through the concerted actions of the crew. If the crew supported such an action I would support them in their endeavor, and if the crew didn't support such an action then I would support them in that, too. Since the vast majority of them 1) repeatedly renew their contracts and 2) appear to be happy and contented with their jobs I have to believe that they wouldn't support such an action, so I as an outsider feel the need to butt out of their business.

The only way to really help the crews is to make the cruise lines stop the systems that they have in place of underpaying workers and trying to get Guest to pay more out of

pocket, the cruise lines are using crew and guest to increase the bottom line profits.

This(y) As long as they staff handles their pay to conserve the amount they need to spend and/or send home the above will work. It Ain't the Amount You Make but the Amount You Keep!

Ramona