Has NCL given any reimbursement for the delay due to crew member jumping overboard?

trippe1075

Why would you even ask?

I would ask because my family had to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel, flight change and lost wages at work. For some people these additional expenses create a big problem. That is why I would ask

I would ask because my family had to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel, flight change and lost wages at work. For some people these additional expenses create a big problem. That is why I would ask

It's definitely unfortunate, for many reasons and for many people.

However, there are uncountable ways that schedules can be disrupted. IF that is likely to cause a serious cost... that is what travel insurance is for.

GC

I read elsewhere on Cruise Critic that everyone was given $30 OBC. Or maybe it was $30 per cabin?

On Getaway now. We were all given $30 per person OBC (well, we’re supposed to, no-one has seen it show up yet lol).

The folks that disembarked prior to us were not given anything, however I expect NCL will offer them some sort of credit on a future cruise.

Has anyone who just cruised on the Getaway received any kind of reimbursement for travel delays experienced due to the crew member jumping overboard?

is it my imagination or are people always asking about refunds foe one thing or another lately? I don't understand why anyone would even think about whether there have been refunds because of the tragedy.

Trippe; I am sure those who were inconvenienced and lost money had insurance. Or am I wrong about this?

You are definately wrong to assume that everyone had insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It’s not assuming that everyone had insurance, it is assuming everyone should have had insurance. When a cruise line does give reimbursement it often causes more problems and delays in insurance claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why everyone is dismissing the idea that NCL has some responsibility for the delay in the Getaway's return.

Do you all think the passengers on the Costa Concordia were due compensation? Sure, that was much different becuase the Captain ran that ship aground. What if it was one of his staff who did it? I think we all would agree those passengers would still be due compensation.

But in the case of the Getaway it was a low level staffer possibly attempting suicide. So because of that situation, many here say NCL isn't responsible. Hmmm.

Let's go back to the Concordia - what if it was a low level staffer in the engine room that wanted to commit suicide, caused a fire and left the Concordia with no power and adrift and it ended up on those rocks. Are the Concordia passengers no longer due compensation because of the personal tragedy of someone committing suicide?

I'm not a lawyer, but, I think that when an employee is the one that causes the harm, the business is usually responsible for that harm.

Before you all jump all over me here, my travel is insured and I wouldn't be looking for compensation. I just am not so quick to say NCL doesn't have some responsibility here.

I don’t understand why people assume they are due compensation either. If you bought concert tickets, get stuck in traffic because a truck jack knifes and causes a major wreck, and you miss your concert you paid a lot of money for, does the driver owe you compensation? Does the company he drives for owe you? I don’t understand why people feel entitled every time something goes not as planned. If a few hour delay breaks the bank, you should not be going on vacation. Life happens.

i don’t understand why people assume they are due compensation either. If you bought concert tickets, get stuck in traffic because a truck jack knifes and causes a major wreck, and you miss your concert you paid a lot of money for, does the driver owe you compensation? Does the company he drives for owe you? I don’t understand why people feel entitled every time something goes not as planned. If a few hour delay breaks the bank, you should not be going on vacation. Life happens.

well said!

Guess they didn't buy insurance!! How is it NCL fault someone went overboard??

I don't understand why everyone is dismissing the idea that NCL has some responsibility for the delay in the Getaway's return.

Do you all think the passengers on the Costa Concordia were due compensation? Sure, that was much different becuase the Captain ran that ship aground. What if it was one of his staff who did it? I think we all would agree those passengers would still be due compensation.

But in the case of the Getaway it was a low level staffer possibly attempting suicide. So because of that situation, many here say NCL isn't responsible. Hmmm.

Let's go back to the Concordia - what if it was a low level staffer in the engine room that wanted to commit suicide, caused a fire and left the Concordia with no power and adrift and it ended up on those rocks. Are the Concordia passengers no longer due compensation because of the personal tragedy of someone committing suicide?

I'm not a lawyer, but, I think that when an employee is the one that causes the harm, the business is usually responsible for that harm.

Before you all jump all over me here, my travel is insured and I wouldn't be looking for compensation. I just am not so quick to say NCL doesn't have some responsibility here.

The Getaway was delayed, not really the same thing as what happened to Costa Concordia.

I don’t understand why people assume they are due compensation either. If you bought concert tickets, get stuck in traffic because a truck jack knifes and causes a major wreck, and you miss your concert you paid a lot of money for, does the driver owe you compensation? Does the company he drives for owe you? I don’t understand why people feel entitled every time something goes not as planned. If a few hour delay breaks the bank, you should not be going on vacation. Life happens.

Apples and Gorilla comparison.

Bravo!!!!

What does a " low level staffer" have anything to do with it? How about just an employee of NCL?

Those "low level staffers" work long hours 7 days a week for months. Stress certainly comes into play!

Has anyone who just cruised on the Getaway received any kind of reimbursement for travel delays experienced due to the crew member jumping overboard?

Yes, they flew us back home in a brand new G with Dom Perignon chilling in the galley, had a chauffeured Rolls pick us up at the private airport, and gave us free DOS tickets for the rest of our lives. Didn’t you get the same?

:')

The Getaway was delayed, not really the same thing as what happened to Costa Concordia.
Of course it's not the same. But what they do have in common is an employee's action impacted the guest experience.

What does a " low level staffer" have anything to do with it? How about just an employee of NCL?
Agreed 100%. That is part of my point, an NCL employee caused the problem.

One more point: I am not saying the impact to the Getaway guests was the same as the Concordia guests. The impact (damages) isn't the issue I am discussing. It's whether NCL has any responsibility. Once the level of responsibility is determined, then you look at damages which I agree are (or should be) minimal.

Those "low level staffers" work long hours 7 days a week for months. Stress certainly comes into play!

I don't agree with what PATRLR wrote but I think you misunderstood it. I Think that he/she meant that it shouldn't matter if it was the captain or a "low level staffer".

I saw your answer to late!

Edited by sverigecruiser
I got new information after posting!