The Retreat Sundeck Just Got More Interesting?

vtcruising

Me neither.but maybe some old time flower power children are the ones who can afford suites... Otherwise I' d expect an Uber or bike share..!

It's cutesy but seems at odds with the Retreat theme..

The millenials love all the retro stuff. We think Eden looks macrame-and-hanging-plants from the early 1970s (ick!) but younger people didn’t live through it so it seems fresh and ironic to them. VW Bus on the Edge, Bingo Night at The Standard in Miami Beach, Yacht Rock music in LA...

Wow..so I am relevant again ?

Everything me and my husb like are described as retro or vintage..we actually take out some of the old stuff for Halloween or sixties parties...tie dye, fringed vests, head bands, embroidered jeans..they are a big hit..we are happy they still fit!

I don’t get it. They are trying desperately to appeal to younger passengers, so they pick an hippie icon from the 1960’s?

The hippies from the 60-70's are the younger passengers on Celebrity!

The hippies from the 60-70's are the younger passengers on Celebrity!

Not really....we are in our prime!

But I still think the food van idea is misplaced in the beautiful retreat area. Just not groovy...!

It just does not fit a Modern Luxury vibe.

Would hate to be in the sunbed right next to the hipster food cart!

(See attached re-post of the image!)

Nobody had better be in that sunbed. This hipster will be parked there chatting with other Flower Power children and loving the vibe. Ok, I’ve decided this will be my first selfie in Dec 1 - me on that sunbed with the Munchie Bus behind me. Stay tuned for my Living on the Edge live post! Love and Peace to all !! ✌️

Nobody had better be in that sunbed. This hipster will be parked there chatting with other Flower Power children and loving the vibe. Ok, I’ve decided this will be my first selfie in Dec 1 - me on that sunbed with the Munchie Bus behind me. Stay tuned for my Living on the Edge live post! Love and Peace to all !! ✌️

I understand that there are a lot of former hippies that live in Vermont!

One of the things I like about sailing on a different ship is the surprises. I love it when a ship has something unexpected in an area (generally some "out there" piece of art). I always do a double take, often feel like it's weird, but then burst out laughing or at least it gets a big smile out of me. It makes us stop and look it over, get pictures with it and it often turns out to be a memorable thing about the ship, whether we like it or not.

I was lucky to get a good deal the first day on suites on the Edge, but likely won't be in suites thereafter. Although the Retreat sundeck looks lovely and sleek, it just doesn't look that laid back and low key, which is more inviting to us on vacation. It has an upscale country club feel, IMO, and that just isn't us, though I'm sure it's a good fit for many people.

I'm not complaining and feel lucky to have the opportunity to give the Retreat sundeck a try, but just explaining that seeing that VW bus sitting there (not in sync with the upscale design) made me laugh and also made me feel like this could be a laid back place where I would feel comfortable.

Obviously it will turn some people off, but even if they don't like it, at the very least it will be a great conversation piece and a nice photo op (and there are many other areas to sit where you won't see it). Maybe they will scrap the idea and not put it there at all or after a while they may roll it away to the junk yard (or make it a mobile beach van as TeeRick suggested), but I'm hoping it will at least be there for first cruise for a tasty, cold beverage, a photo op and some good people watching moments as they discover it! :cool:

Although our place in Fl is in a beautiful nature park, we like the Country Club Vibe for cruising and resorts. It's what attracted us to Celebrity from Mercury days... It was a great "secret"...country club cruising at reasonable prices. Glad we see some of those aspects returning on EDGE....

Right now, we are priced out of Suite life on EDGE..but will hope to try it just once on Beyond if they have some short preview cruises!

Although our place in Fl is in a beautiful nature park, we like the Country Club Vibe for cruising and resorts. It's what attracted us to Celebrity from Mercury days... It was a great "secret"...country club cruising at reasonable prices. Glad we see some of those aspects returning on EDGE....

Right now, we are priced out of Suite life on EDGE..but will hope to try it just once on Beyond if they have some short preview cruises!

It would be fun if all of us Edge fans went on a Beyond preview cruise (as Bo said, it has been more like a roll call over here on the Edge Forum[emoji2]). Our t- shirts could read “To the Edge and Beyond.” [emoji6]

One of the things I like about sailing on a different ship is the surprises. I love it when a ship has something unexpected in an area (generally some "out there" piece of art). I always do a double take, often feel like it's weird, but then burst out laughing or at least it gets a big smile out of me. It makes us stop and look it over, get pictures with it and it often turns out to be a memorable thing about the ship, whether we like it or not.

I was lucky to get a good deal the first day on suites on the Edge, but likely won't be in suites thereafter. Although the Retreat sundeck looks lovely and sleek, it just doesn't look that laid back and low key, which is more inviting to us on vacation. It has an upscale country club feel, IMO, and that just isn't us, though I'm sure it's a good fit for many people.

I'm not complaining and feel lucky to have the opportunity to give the Retreat sundeck a try, but just explaining that seeing that VW bus sitting there (not in sync with the upscale design) made me laugh and also made me feel like this could be a laid back place where I would feel comfortable.

Obviously it will turn some people off, but even if they don't like it, at the very least it will be a great conversation piece and a nice photo op (and there are many other areas to sit where you won't see it). Maybe they will scrap the idea and not put it there at all or after a while they may roll it away to the junk yard (or make it a mobile beach van as TeeRick suggested), but I'm hoping it will at least be there for first cruise for a tasty, cold beverage, a photo op and some good people watching moments as they discover it! :cool:

Kind of interesting to think about the actual use of the Retreat sundeck. When we sail suites we never really use the public pool area - just our own balcony. Many of the Edge suites have large balconies and some have hot tubs too. Will suite passengers actually use the Retreat sundeck? On other ships that I have sailed (RCCL) that have dedicated sundecks for suite passengers they are almost always empty.

Kind of interesting to think about the actual use of the Retreat sundeck. When we sail suites we never really use the public pool area - just our own balcony. Many of the Edge suites have large balconies and some have hot tubs too. Will suite passengers actually use the Retreat sundeck? On other ships that I have sailed (RCCL) that have dedicated sundecks for suite passengers they are almost always empty.

We will use it.

I too tend to stick to our own balcony when in a suite to avoid the crowds, but my DH does venture out to read on the deck above the pool and enjoys the people watching and bar service. I tried the suite sundeck on 2 different ships on RCI and it was way too windy up there. There were a few protected areas that weren't windy, but they seemed to have people or belongings on all of those loungers.

I think the Retreat will likely be used if it isn't windy up there, which I doubt because they seem to have a lot of winds buffers. It will be a nice package, with a pool (a really gorgeous pool, IMO), a bar and maybe even a munchie bus. Maybe they will have live music up there sometimes. The Retreat Lounge is down one deck, which would be a nice place to take a break from the sun.

With 176 suites and a minimum of 350 people eligible using the Retreat sundeck (and likely many more since there are many options for connected cabins for families and some very large suites that sleep way more than 2), I think it will be a busy place, especially at first, because everyone will want to try it out and those without beverage packages will want to be near the complimentary bar. The other pool deck is pretty awesome too and will probably have a livelier atmosphere that some may end up preferring and gravitate there.

The jury is out on how many will stay on their own balconies much of the time. Those of us who originally envisioned the Retreat as a quiet pool area and liked the idea of not needing to get up at 7 AM for loungers (like me) may end up staying on our balconies as you said, if it turns out to be too busy and there aren't enough loungers. I imagine I will do both on our January cruise, though on my preview cruises I doubt I will have much time to lay in the sun - I will be too busy exploring! :D