Mens jackets - seabourn odyssey

barry3040

Furthermore, I asked my husband this evening what he remembers about men's dress in the MDR on our recent cruise. He confirmed that he saw "a few" men in golf type polo shirts in the MDR in the evening sans jackets. He said that he saw only a few and their dress was not the norm. He favors wearing a navy blazer with either gray slacks or khakis (brown pants as some British call them...) for dinner.

Not sure what the big hullabaloo is with certain readers hereto. REGENT and OCEANIA don't have a problem with nice polos/casual shirts/linen shirts etc. These fall into their country club style without issue. So what's the big deal? (We have established that a jacket isn't necessary save for formal nights)

With all due respect Seabourn isn't Oceania, which is very casual compared to SB IMHO, and a premium not luxury line. Regent also has a differing dress code, but still smarter than O.

I would hope you follow the stated dress code instead of what you can get away with. Sometimes the Mater’d is not noticing or decides not to make a scene by sending someone back to your stateroom to get properly dressed. Do you want to be that person?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My thoughts exactly, when i see things like this I think of petulant school kids. I am still one of the youngest on SB and have been sailing with them for about 20 years now and have no problem with dressing to and enjoying the dress code. So I don't take onboard all of this age related dross either, whatever age you are you can dress appropriately.

I wish to follow whatever is customary and usual in real life onboard, which is all I sought to ascertain and is neither wheedling or immature. Indeed, precisely to the contrary, it is an expression of desire to keep within the confines of what is socially acceptable in real life onboard.

The vast majority follow the dress code. But it does not sound like you want to do what the majority due - what is customary and usual. You want to know what is the minimum you can get away with.

I agree with JPH814. My husband said that the wearing of polo shirts in the MDR is NOT the norm. He said that he would not do it because he thinks that those people stick out as people who don't know the proper dress for the venue. If you really want to wear polo shirts to dinner, try Earth and Air--advertised as the most casual dining venue in the evening. It has a really wonderful creative menu. We LOVED it! I just don't have much experience with the Colonnade at night as we ate there only once in 21 days!

I assume that you want to fit in--and that would mean a dress type shirt with or without a jacket in the MDR in the evening. We did see a lot of men in jackets--but others comfortable in just a collared dress type shirt.

I agree with JPH814. My husband said that the wearing of polo shirts in the MDR is NOT the norm. He said that he would not do it because he thinks that those people stick out as people who don't know the proper dress for the venue. If you really want to wear polo shirts to dinner, try Earth and Air--advertised as the most casual dining venue in the evening. It has a really wonderful creative menu. We LOVED it! I just don't have much experience with the Colonnade at night as we ate there only once in 21 days!

I assume that you want to fit in--and that would mean a dress type shirt with or without a jacket in the MDR in the evening. We did see a lot of men in jackets--but others comfortable in just a collared dress type shirt.

So what if they stick out? So does a man on formal night in a light blue tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and a red velvet bow tie yet that does not go against the stated dress code. Other peoples' attire only sticks out to those who stick out their necks to check on what their fellow passengers are wearing.

The vast majority follow the dress code. But it does not sound like you want to do what the majority due - what is customary and usual. You want to know what is the minimum you can get away with.

Respectfully, your definition is wrong. If a non-trivial number of male pax routinely wear "non-dress" collared shirts they would clearly be a minority, yet it would still be a customary and usual occurrence. I prefer the less judgemental 'within the boundaries of what's acceptable' to 'the minimum you can get away with.' Perhaps a discussion on tolerance and protection of minority rights is in order, but that'll have to be for another thread.

W/R/T my bona fides I'll just respond with this, posted in the Dress Code thread several days before this thread started, which shows evidence of my own effort to ascertain what is customary and usual and my intention to follow customary and usual as I had found it.

FWIW, when looking at pics and video from Seabourn cruises I've been looking at evening shirt attire and have yet to see anyone wearing a polo shirt. Admittedly, only small percentage of pix/video are evening pics and there's usually some evening event prompting the pix/video, so the sample isn't conclusive. However, based on this, reluctantly, I will be packing assuming polos are a no-go in the evening and will happily adjust accordingly if I see differently when aboard.

Respectfully, your definition is wrong. If a non-trivial number of male pax routinely wear "non-dress" collared shirts they would clearly be a minority, yet it would still be a customary and usual occurrence. I prefer the less judgemental 'within the boundaries of what's acceptable' to 'the minimum you can get away with.' Perhaps a discussion on tolerance and protection of minority rights is in order, but that'll have to be for another thread .

So if on every cruise one person shows up

at dinner in shorts and a tee shirt would that meet your standard of customary and usual? How many does it take? 5? 10?

The Custom is to dress according to the code. It is unusual when people do not. It might rarely or occasionally not happen. But can you say that it is unusual that people meet the standard? I don’t think so. It is what what usually happens.

As for minority rights: if a minority of people do something that is wrong, it is still wrong. Until the standard is changed. To suggest that it is fine to not meet a standard because “minorities have rights” is absurd.

There are those of us who choose a cruise line at least in part because of the level of formality. It is the difference between eating dinner on fine china vs paper plates. You can say the food is the same and it does not affect the taste, but it does impact the enjoyment of the meal.

So if on every cruise one person shows up at dinner in shorts and a tee shirt would that meet your standard of customary and usual? How many does it take? 5? 10?

This is just silliness. I said a non-trivial number. From an anthropological perspective it doesn't matter what kind of dress occurs. If a non-trivial number of people regularly (are permitted to - not turned away) wear clown shoes and rubber noses then as a matter of actual fact that would be a customary and usual occurrence.

The Custom is to dress according to the code. It is unusual when people do not. It might rarely or occasionally not happen. But can you say that it is unusual that people meet the standard? I don’t think so. It is what what usually happens.

As for minority rights: if a minority of people do something that is wrong, it is still wrong. Until the standard is changed. To suggest that it is fine to not meet a standard because “minorities have rights” is absurd.

The word usual in customary and usual does not mean what the majority does. It means what usually occurs in totality. If a significant minority of people are routinely permitted to do something slightly different than the majority then by definition it is not wrong and it is not unusual.

Honestly, I don't see what is so controversial about inquiring about what the actual composition of evening dress is in onboard. What's amusing is different people say different things and, more often than not, people insist they are absolutely right and everyone else is wrong. It's almost an anthropological study within an anthropological study.

This is just silliness. I said a non-trivial number. From an anthropological perspective it doesn't matter what kind of dress occurs. If a non-trivial number of people regularly (are permitted to - not turned away) wear clown shoes and rubber noses then as a matter of actual fact that would be a customary and usual occurrence.

The word usual in customary and usual does not mean what the majority does. It means what usually occurs in totality. If a significant minority of people are routinely permitted to do something slightly different than the majority then by definition it is not wrong and it is not unusual.

Honestly, I don't see what is so controversial about inquiring about what the actual composition of evening dress is in onboard. What's amusing is different people say different things and, more often than not, people insist they are absolutely right and everyone else is wrong. It's almost an anthropological study within an anthropological study.

I love the rationale “slightly different”. It is inconsistent with the standard. Period. No matter how many do it, it is still not meeting the standard And the fact is, the vast majority are consistent with the policy.

Why is this important? Assuming the OP was sincere in knowing what her hubby should wear, telling her that “wear whatever you want” places her and her hubby in the position of being embarrassed- either by being underdressed or by being denied admission to the MDR.

But to play into an attitude of “what can I get away with” cheapens the experience for all of us.

I love the rationale “slightly different”. It is inconsistent with the standard. Period. No matter how many do it, it is still not meeting the standard And the fact is, the vast majority are consistent with the policy.

Why is this important? Assuming the OP was sincere in knowing what her hubby should wear, telling her that “wear whatever you want” places her and her hubby in the position of being embarrassed- either by being underdressed or by being denied admission to the MDR.

But to play into an attitude of “what can I get away with” cheapens the experience for all of us.

Lol, ok. I'm not going to bother with strawman arguments against things I never said or intolerant purity deserving of a ruined meal.

If the OP wanted to know what her husband should or shouldn’t wear maybe she should have looked at one of the many ( sigh, many) dress code threads which all answer the same question. Or better still, check the clear and straightforward guidelines on dress code already published by Seabourn.

If the OP wanted to know what her husband should or shouldn’t wear maybe she should have looked at one of the many ( sigh, many) dress code threads which all answer the same question. Or better still, check the clear and straightforward guidelines on dress code already published by Seabourn.

Maybe the Dress Code thread needs an additional "this is the only one" like the Referral thread????

We’re first time cruisers with Seabourn.

And thought the dress code description on the prelim and final docs were fairly straightforward!

Within pragmatics as we’re both travelling with ONE carry-on only for a month in Europe (who in their right mind checks in luggage) this dress code thread has been most informative.

Given we’re both under 40, we’re already going to stand out as younger than norm. As much as we’s love elegant casual to be “what we would wear to a rooftop cocktail bar”, we plan to dress as if we’re dining at a fine dining establishment within a fine hotel. Which is exactly what the MdR is. The cocktail bar appears to be upstairs!

Take home message seems to be “you can dress and interpret the code as you wish” but “should you” and the implications are something else.

Maybe we should pack some nighttime club and racy evening wear anyway?

*jk*

We’re first time cruisers with Seabourn.

And thought the dress code description on the prelim and final docs were fairly straightforward!

Within pragmatics as we’re both travelling with ONE carry-on only for a month in Europe (who in their right mind checks in luggage) this dress code thread has been most informative.

Given we’re both under 40, we’re already going to stand out as younger than norm. As much as we’s love elegant casual to be “what we would wear to a rooftop cocktail bar”, we plan to dress as if we’re dining at a fine dining establishment within a fine hotel. Which is exactly what the MdR is. The cocktail bar appears to be upstairs!

Take home message seems to be “you can dress and interpret the code as you wish” but “should you” and the implications are something else.

Maybe we should pack some nighttime club and racy evening wear anyway?

*jk*

Seabourn used to have a very strict dress code that has been watered down over the years. Used to be tuxes on formal nights (and there were more formal nights), Suit or Jacket & Tie for all other nights except first and last. Everyone generally abided by these rules.

I suspect Seabourn is moving in the direction of country club casual and polos will eventually be embraced. Certainly with all the Aussies onboard nowadays who enjoy eating al fresco, this will be welcome news. Personally, I enjoyed dressing up, but less so with the more casual rules. If I lug a tux half way around the world, I like seeing everyone in tuxes, not just a handful. The atmosphere just isn't the same.

BTW, one carry-on for a month has to be the definition of racy! Unless of course you are going on a Seabourn nudist charter...:D

My husband and I must be the exception regarding Australians. We love dressing up:), and I actually know many other younger and older Australians that like to as well.

Seabourn has changed and we used to be sad with the change in atmosphere. But we have decided that we will continue to choose to enjoy dressing up and other people can enjoy their choices. We are on the cruise to relax.

I did get a chuckle though about checked luggage. We must be not in our right minds. We are travelling in Europe for 5 weeks, including train travel, and we have suitcases we need to check when flying.

I am glad I have the extra luggage space though as I enjoyed a shopping spree yesterday in Paris. Hard to resist when so many boutiques are having sales. Looking forward to wearing my new purchases on my cruise in one week.

Julie

My husband and I must be the exception regarding Australians. We love dressing up:), and I actually know many other younger and older Australians that like to as well.

Seabourn has changed and we used to be sad with the change in atmosphere. But we have decided that we will continue to choose to enjoy dressing up and other people can enjoy their choices. We are on the cruise to relax.

I did get a chuckle though about checked luggage. We must be not in our right minds. We are travelling in Europe for 5 weeks, including train travel, and we have suitcases we need to check when flying.

I am glad I have the extra luggage space though as I enjoyed a shopping spree yesterday in Paris. Hard to resist when so many boutiques are having sales. Looking forward to wearing my new purchases on my cruise in one week.

Julie

Have a great trip Julie x

Have a great trip Julie x

Thanks galeforce. Tonight we will enjoy the ballet at Palais Garnier, so I will be getting dressed up. Enjoying people watching here and enjoying seeing the various style types from casual, to fashionable to eccentric.

Enjoy your cruise this July as well. I am looking forward to some of your wonderful photos.

Julie

Also not in our right mind and will check in luggage for our upcoming cruise.

Aside from toiletries and sunscreens which will not come back with us, we love to have the space to buy stuff when we are on holidays. Sometimes it is food like truffle oils and sauces from Italy last year, sometimes a nice bottle of wine we have picked up, some paintings or recently like in Barcelona some really nice (in our opinion) plates and bowls. This means that we bring memories home with us - surrounded at home by 14 years of great holiday memories.

We each had two suitcases on our last cruise (for me, one medium size and one smaller sizer). Next time, I'm definitely going to pack in only one (plus a tote for jewelry and a few other things). I'm going to get more creative with my evening dress options (staying strictly with dress code) and hone my shoe choices a bit more. I do find packing for a cruise to be a bit challenging due to weather (Baltic cruise this last time).

To get back to the topic of jacket or not, and to put a spanner in the works! I don't know if I am the only Brit who thinks of a 'dress shirt' as the shirt men wear with their DJ (tuxedo) , i.e. for formal evening dress. So hard to understand exactly what the meaning is - presumably a 'business' type shirt a man would normally wear with a suit and tie.