Everything’s OK....until it’s not.

Damicom

This is a sad story, Damicom, and I am sorry about the surgeries, but especially disturbed that Oceania would followup on your complaint and call you a liar.

I will make sure to avoid connecting rooms!

And for future reference, if ever ever end up in a situation when the first level people are fluffing off our issue, how do we get to the GM (which I assume is general manager)?

We have our first cruise with Oeania next month!

Simply request an appointment to see the GM. Timing depends on urgency of your matter (and GM’s schedule).

I talked to a couple today that had a plumbing issue - odor issue. They moved them overnight to a nearby vacant (cheaper) cabin and fixed the problem the next day. Given some onboard credits as an apology. Different staff?

Must be a different cruise line than the Oceania I travel on. On all of my six cruises, one on the Regatta ending yesterday, I’ve never had a significant issue. Also, I must have seen, and at least briefly talked with, the hotel manager on every cruise at least six to eight times by chance. On this past cruise my wife and I were invited to dine with the food and beverage manager and the head housekeeper, both very charming people. We were specifically asked, unsolicited, how they could make our cruise better.

We have yet to encounter a single crew member, at any level, that wasn’t attentive, pleasant and happy to do whatever was necessary to take care of us.

I never grasped the original issue. An afternoon cocktail party, with people talking was to much for the OP? We’re not talking late night here, we’re talking Afternoon! Could Oceania, or any line, guarantee the OP a room with no noise from a neighboring cabin? If they moved him, and the new neighbors had friends over at 4:00 in the afternoon, does he get moved again? Should Oceania have a Ruhezeit part of the ship where no activities are allowed? The dead quiet Ward?

Did Oceania handle this perfectly, perhaps not. Is a cruise ship the right venue for someone that needs and demands total quiet? Probably not!

Yes, we had very good experiences too. Until we didn’t. Looking at these posts, we’re not the only ones who have experienced poor treatment when there was a problem.

Must be a different cruise line than the Oceania I travel on. On all of my six cruises, one on the Regatta ending yesterday, I’ve never had a significant issue. Also, I must have seen, and at least briefly talked with, the hotel manager on every cruise at least six to eight times by chance. On this past cruise my wife and I were invited to dine with the food and beverage manager and the head housekeeper, both very charming people. We were specifically asked, unsolicited, how they could make our cruise better.

We have yet to encounter a single crew member, at any level, that wasn’t attentive, pleasant and happy to do whatever was necessary to take care of us.

Same thing happened to us as op.

My husband had slipped between the tender dock and the tender because no one from O was on board to help. He gashed his leg and went to the medical center. For 2 days he went there to stop the bleeding. No one from O cared. The hotel manager was rude and curt. We wrote to corporate and no one cared. The line only wants praise and don’t want to hear anything negative.

I cannot imagine wanting to recover from surgery anywhere but at home. I think it is unrealistic to expect a cruise ship (or a hotel) to provide the type of environment the OP was looking for.

From the OP's report Oceania handled the situation poorly. However, they are not a convalescence home and shouldn't be expected to act as one.

cruising diva

Were you on an Oceania tender or on one provided by the local port authorities? On all our Oceania cruises, Oceania crew members were always on the tender dock to assist passengers.

Cheers,

Don

Wow. You’re running short on empathy. I wasn’t looking for a convalescent hospital. I was expecting a quiet room. I offered to pay extra to get one. I guess it could have been worse. I could have had you as my neighbor.quote=Sea42;56477919]I cannot imagine wanting to recover from surgery anywhere but at home. I think it is unrealistic to expect a cruise ship (or a hotel) to provide the type of environment the OP was looking for.

From the OP's report Oceania handled the situation poorly. However, they are not a convalescence home and shouldn't be expected to act as one.

It’s not that hard to make people feel better by showing you care. Oceania, in my case, and apparently in yours, seemed not to understand that. It may sound corny but a little kindness goes a long way. In the end, I was much more upset and hurt by Oceania’s lack of a sympathetic response, even if there was nothing else the could do, than I was about the noisy room. It seems that would be the bottom line in hospitality services.

quote=cruising diva;56477702]Same thing happened to us as op.

My husband had slipped between the tender dock and the tender because no one from O was on board to help. He gashed his leg and went to the medical center. For 2 days he went there to stop the bleeding. No one from O cared. The hotel manager was rude and curt. We wrote to corporate and no one cared. The line only wants praise and don’t want to hear anything negative.

Wow. You’re running short on empathy. I wasn’t looking for a convalescent hospital. I was expecting a quiet room. I offered to pay extra to get one. I guess it could have been worse. I could have had you as my neighbor.quote=Sea42;56477919]I cannot imagine wanting to recover from surgery anywhere but at home. I think it is unrealistic to expect a cruise ship (or a hotel) to provide the type of environment the OP was looking for.

For what it's worth I would have been quiet [emoji16]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For what it's worth I would have been quiet [emoji16]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Most people would be quiet, if asked, I think.....

Because on Oceania, let's face it, these aren't the Carnival cruises for the 20-somethings to party, right?

And if most pax are "mature," which means they have (mostly) lived long enough to have been touched personally by some mortality issue, then the convalescent neighbor situation would resonate with most of them.

(Although some of them might forget after the third glass of wine.... )

Granted I am generalizing alot here, but these are reasons why it doesn't hurt (and may help) to make this kind of need known to the neighbor.

We were on a two leg cruise. The reception desk said they would get back to us but never did. The concierge said the first leg was full but they would move us the second leg. We never heard from them him about the move although we did see about the ship daily. We’re not pushy. We assumed he’d contact us as he promised. He never did. After the cruise we learned from a Facebook board that a couple who had never cruised with Oceania before were upgraded to a penthouse for free and they hadn’t requested it. We had offered to pay, just to get a quieter room. It said a lot to me about “valued clients”

Your first mistake was believing anything on a Facebook board! Your second is, I feel, that after up to 8 surgeries that cruising should be your last choice for recovery!

It’s not that hard to make people feel better by showing you care. Oceania, in my case, and apparently in yours, seemed not to understand that. It may sound corny but a little kindness goes a long way. In the end, I was much more upset and hurt by Oceania’s lack of a sympathetic response, even if there was nothing else the could do, than I was about the noisy room. It seems that would be the bottom line in hospitality services.

quote=cruising diva;56477702]Same thing happened to us as op.

Why was your husband attempting to either board or disembark the tender when no one was present to help(as you say)Sometimes people are responsible for their own actions. He should have waited for assistance!

I cannot imagine wanting to recover from surgery anywhere but at home. I think it is unrealistic to expect a cruise ship (or a hotel) to provide the type of environment the OP was looking for.

Totally agree.

Cruising diva.. I also wonder if you were on O tender or other. We've always found the tender guys to be very attentive and careful with all passengers especially in rough conditions.

Damicom.. The most relaxing thing I do on a ship is sitting quietly on the verandah looking at the sea passing by. I can imagine this is what you had in mind to recover from surgery so it's a shame that didn't work out for you. Sometimes we just have to be persistent to get results!

The problem was the door not the neighbors. I could hear their normal conversation, I could hear the toilet flush, coughing. The cocktail parties were noisier but not wild by any means, I just wanted a quiet room. I thought the problem to be dealt with was Oceania’s. It was not my place to dictate my neighbor’s vacation.

What a novel idea....

We booked this cruise, our third this year on Oceania, because I was recovering from surgery and needed some rest and recovery. I’ve had a tough year and this was my 8th surgery in a year. The other two cruises were also to help recover and they were wonderful.

Although we usually book B1; the Oceania agent suggested a room B2, 8139, room saying it was better and cheaper. Later I noticed it had a connecting door. I explained I needed extra rest and was concerned the door would allow noise. She assured me it would not.

Within minutes of boarding it was clear there was a noise problem. Before we even unpacked went to reception, the concierge and contacted our agent. We offered to pay extra for an upgrade to change rooms. They all promised to help but none of them ever got back us. Nothing. No response. This was a 19 day cruise and the noise was a daily problem. Every afternoon our neighbors hosted a cocktail party. The weather was cool and damp so the party was in their room not on the veranda. Normally I wouldn’t mind at all, but I really need to rest and it was too noisy.

I was very disappointed that neither my booking agent nor the concierge made any effort to help with this problem.

When we got home, I wrote to Oceania Guest Services because I was disappointed that no one ever even bothered responding to us. In any hotel, if your room is not satisfactory they at least make an effort to help and at the very least apologize. Guest Services sent a nasty reply calling me a liar, saying there was no noise problem and I had been offered a different room and turned it down. It was so unbelievably insulting. It didn’t even make sense. Why complain about noise if there was none? Why ask for a room change...even offer to pay for it...and then turn it down and then afterwards complain. It’s crazy. I didn’t want anything more than the comfortable cruise I had paid for. I never asked for anything for free. I only wanted to be treated with respect.

During the cruise we were given a pin and invited to a cocktail party to honor “valued cruiser” but when we actually needed asome help with a problem we were first ignored and then disparaged.

Oceania is great until you have a problem. Then, if you complain you are ignored, demeaned and insulted. Not exactly “Your world your way”. It was very unpleasant and upsetting. I was a big fan until this. I expected better. It really soured my feelings about Oceania. I cancel my planned 30 day, South Africa cruise and won’t be cruising with them again.

As far as their “your world, your way” slogan, I’d like to remind them, it’s not what you say, it’s what you do that establishes your character.

Were you offered ear plugs? They really help. Especially good ones. I think you would have heard noise regardless of a connecting door or not. Hopefully you are better and will be able to enjoy your next cruise. Perhaps your expections weren't realistic. People on vacation will make noise-play a TV etc.

I am really surprised with the lack of empathy, even unkindness of some people on this board. I was not looking for nursing care. I wanted a quiet room. I was willing to pay extra to get one. I posted this because I thought Oceania handled it poorly and wanted to share that experience. I would expect that any guest on the ship would expect to be treated with understanding and respect. I’m sorry for you if you can’t see that.

Totally agree.

I am really surprised with the lack of empathy, even unkindness of some people on this board. I was not looking for nursing care. I wanted a quiet room. I was willing to pay extra to get one. I posted this because I thought Oceania handled it poorly and wanted to share that experience. I would expect that any guest on the ship would expect to be treated with understanding and respect. I’m sorry for you if you can’t see that.

There is no guarantee of getting a quiet cabin

though most of the time they are quiet

We have been next door to people who like to slam the drawers & closet doors etc.. early in the morning without regard for those in the next cabin

In your fragile state of mind it would be more annoying

When people are not well the smallest things seem 10 times worse

You hear the toilets flushing no matter where your cabin is

We are not unsympathetic but do wonder why you did not purse the cabin change if it was so important

A quick word to the Concierge like "any luck finding us another cabin" may have been enough to remind him you were still unhappy

Maybe by not pursuing the problem further with the Concierge thought the problem was resolved

Yes it would have been nice if the ship's personnel spoke to the neighbours & asked them to tone it down

It is best to get things sorted on ship not when you return home

JMO

We did try on the ship. A number of times.

There is no guarantee of getting a quiet cabin

though most of the time they are quiet

We have been next door to people who like to slam the drawers & closet doors etc.. early in the morning without regard for those in the next cabin

In your fragile state of mind it would be more annoying

When people are not well the smallest things seem 10 times worse

You hear the toilets flushing no matter where your cabin is

We are not unsympathetic but do wonder why you did not purse the cabin change if it was so important

A quick word to the Concierge like "any luck finding us another cabin" may have been enough to remind him you were still unhappy

Maybe by not pursuing the problem further with the Concierge thought the problem was resolved

Yes it would have been nice if the ship's personnel spoke to the neighbours & asked them to tone it down

It is best to get things sorted on ship not when you return home

JMO

We did try on the ship. A number of times.

Perhaps if you're now unsatisfied with Oceania..you should check some of the boards on lines such as Crystal/Azamara/Viking/Sea dream/Seaborne. You might get some insights to the offerings on those lines.

Some of the accounts on CC are affiliated with the various cruise lines.

The job description isn't 'empathy', it's 'spin'.