Opinions of the Crown and doing a honeymoon cruise on it to the British Isles

FSU Girl

I currently have a Disney British Isles cruise booked for my honeymoon next September. I was looking at the Crown Princess that goes to the British Isles and considering switching cruises. Oh thing I’ve learned I can never plan a trip this far in advance it gives me too much time to change my mind.

So the main reason I’m reconsidering is the Disney cruise is 7 nights and the Crown is 12 and the price of a balcony room is basically the same. I’ve read some reviews of the ship and they aren’t that great, which has me a little concerned. But there’s only 2 sea days so I guess it doesn’t matter too much.

Has anyone been on this ship? Would it be good for a honeymoon? If we switch to this cruise that’s all we’ll do. If we do the Disney cruise we are doing a week in Paris before the cruise.

I sailed Princess a lot as a kid so I have status on the ship too, although not sure what the perks are.

I’m conflicted and would love some opinions.

First, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

In my opinion, your question is a tough one.

If the choice were just which cruise, I'd certainly choose the Crown itinerary. 12 days is definitely much better than 7 on a British Isles cruise. There are many great ports.

As far as a ship comparison, I can't comment on Disney, but we've sailed 3 times on the Crown with two more coming up. I very much enjoy the layout and options on the Crown and her sister ships. I assume it will be a more subdued experience than Disney, but again that's just an assumption. However, as you said, this is a very port intensive cruise.

Having said all of that, I can't imagine a better honeymoon destination than Paris. It's such a beautiful, romantic and historic city.

So....if money and time were not an issue, I'd spend a week in Paris followed by the Crown cruise. Of course that may not be the case ;). Therefore, I'd go with Paris and Mickey...haha.

Wishing you a long and happy life together.

• Like 1

First, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

In my opinion, your question is a tough one.

If the choice were just which cruise, I'd certainly choose the Crown itinerary. 12 days is definitely much better than 7 on a British Isles cruise. There are many great ports.

As far as a ship comparison, I can't comment on Disney, but we've sailed 3 times on the Crown with two more coming up. I very much enjoy the layout and options on the Crown and her sister ships. I assume it will be a more subdued experience than Disney, but again that's just an assumption. However, as you said, this is a very port intensive cruise.

Having said all of that, I can't imagine a better honeymoon destination than Paris. It's such a beautiful, romantic and historic city.

So....if money and time were not an issue, I'd spend a week in Paris followed by the Crown cruise. Of course that may not be the case ;). Therefore, I'd go with Paris and Mickey...haha.

Wishing you a long and happy life together.

Thank you :) unfortunately we can’t do Paris and the 12 night cruise we don’t have enough vacation days for all that. I have always wanted to go to Paris so this would be the perfect opportunity. On the Crown there is one stop at Paris, although the port is 3 hours away so it’s not really much time in the city and mostly riding a bus. That’s good to hear that you liked the ship though! The cruise would definitely get us to more ports, but we wouldn’t be able to do much before or after the cruise so that cruise would be it

I'd go with a 12-day cruise over a week-long one. The last time we sailed on the Crown was a number of years ago. We had a great time. To figure out your status, sign on to the Princess website. You may need to register first. The best benefit of being Platinum (five previous cruises or a total of 50 previous days) is the free internet package (250 minutes on a 12-day cruise). Elite status adds free minibar setup and free laundry service. That's after 15 cruises or 150 previous days.

Never been on Disney and you really have to decide yourself whether a longer cruise or more time in Paris is your priority.

As far as the Crown goes....we love it! It is our favorite ship. We were on it last fall and looking forward to being on it again soon this summer!

:cool:

Thank you :) unfortunately we can’t do Paris and the 12 night cruise we don’t have enough vacation days for all that. I have always wanted to go to Paris so this would be the perfect opportunity. On the Crown there is one stop at Paris, although the port is 3 hours away so it’s not really much time in the city and mostly riding a bus. That’s good to hear that you liked the ship though! The cruise would definitely get us to more ports, but we wouldn’t be able to do much before or after the cruise so that cruise would be it

Totally understand. Should you choose the Crown itinerary, a day or two in London is definitely worth it. I love London and even if you only can spare one full day, you won't regret it.

I did one Disney cruise and Disney does it well. I would go on them again, but as you indicate in your comparison, Disney is a lot more expensive. Congrats on the wedding and I don't mean to push you to the next step but if you are thinking of children in the future, I would save Disney for later.

Even without the potential kid factor, I would pick Princess. If you're going to do a British Isles cruise, you should go as long as you can. 12 beats 7 in my opinion. Princess is my preferred line and I did a BI cruise on the Caribbean Princess last summer. Although some have bad things to say at the Caribbean Princess, it was a great cruise and a good ship.

Good luck with your decision.

I would probably be swayed towards Disney/Paris also, but as for the Crown....we were on her in February this year and had a wonderful time. We thought the ship was in great shape and are strongly considering a 2020 cruise on her.

Congratulations!

So the main reason I’m reconsidering is the Disney cruise is 7 nights and the Crown is 12 and the price of a balcony room is basically the same.
I don't know which DCL ship you're booked on, but as I recall a balcony cabin on the Magic or Wonder compares with a mini suite on the Crown. When comparing pricing be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I, too, would recommend spending as much time as possible in London before or after your cruise. Fantastic, fun city...

First and foremost - this time is about the HONEYMOON !! - a "magical" hopefully once in a lifetime experience...;p

the cruise is secondary , in this case...sorry

a magical 7 days on a Disney cruise - with all the real Princesses...then 7 days in PARIS, did I say PARIS ??? as newlyweds...

cruising for cruising sakes can come later

END OF DISCUSSION :cool:

My husband and I have sailed 6 times on Disney, and have also sailed on Princess Crown, Regal, Ruby and Island. Personally, you could not pay me to set foot on the Crown Princess again. We were on a poorly handled norovirus cruise on the Crown. (And no, I did not get sick, nor do I wish to start any arguments re: norovirus or how "wonderful" some people feel the Crown is). The Crown Princess looked worn, food was bad, staff was overworked. The Crown has quite a past history for noroviurs infectrions which I find troublesome. Princess does alot of things right, and if it was any other ship, my answer would not be so negative. We still sail Princess and have had some great cruises with them. Princess does often have interesting itineraries and good prices. As for Disney, I assume you will be on the Magic. We did the Transatlantic on that ship and had a wonderful time! And we have it booked again for the Baltics. The ship is clean, bright and cheerful. Adult areas are plentiful, elegant and so peaceful. Disney by nature seems to me to exude a more upbeat, cheerful attitude. People are just more laid back. I would pick Disney for this one, even with the shorter itinerary. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.

As for a honeymoon, I'd go on the other side of the world and take a 15 day cruise to Hawaii...but that's just me.

Me too, but I live in the UK so a British Isles cruise would be distinctly anti-climatic for me ;p

OP, I think you should stick to the Disney cruise, seeing as you have said how much you always wanted to visit Paris and the longer cruise eliminates that. Doing it from Le Havre is not ideal, as you say you'll spend half the day on a coach. However, for me a whole week in Paris is a bit long. Maybe 3 days in Paris and 3 in London, or Edinburgh? Personally I hate London and love Edinburgh, but then again I suppose you may be visiting Edinburgh on your cruise anyway?

Totally understand. Should you choose the Crown itinerary, a day or two in London is definitely worth it. I love London and even if you only can spare one full day, you won't regret it.

The cruise we are looking at actually leaves out of Dublin so getting to London would probably be difficult with the limited days outside of the cruise. I’ve been to London before and did love the city

Personally I hate London and love Edinburgh, but then again I suppose you may be visiting Edinburgh on your cruise anyway?
Not surprising since you were born in Scotland. We love Edinburgh and London and look forward to spending more time in both cities again.

I did one Disney cruise and Disney does it well. I would go on them again, but as you indicate in your comparison, Disney is a lot more expensive. Congrats on the wedding and I don't mean to push you to the next step but if you are thinking of children in the future, I would save Disney for later.

Even without the potential kid factor, I would pick Princess. If you're going to do a British Isles cruise, you should go as long as you can. 12 beats 7 in my opinion. Princess is my preferred line and I did a BI cruise on the Caribbean Princess last summer. Although some have bad things to say at the Caribbean Princess, it was a great cruise and a good ship.

Good luck with your decision.

We do plan to have kids in the future and will definitely be taking them on Disney cruises. We love Disney though, we are actually getting married at Disney so I don’t mind going on the ships befor kids.

I do like that the itinerary is longer and includes more of the British Isles

The cruise we are looking at actually leaves out of Dublin so getting to London would probably be difficult with the limited days outside of the cruise. I’ve been to London before and did love the city

OOPS, well then ditto for Dublin. They have pretty good beer. ;):beer-mug:

sorry, I messed up your schedule above...PARIS first...ahhh...then a Disney cruise

perfect...the 7 days in Paris gives you 3 full days to take in the city..;p;p;p

I don't know which DCL ship you're booked on, but as I recall a balcony cabin on the Magic or Wonder compares with a mini suite on the Crown. When comparing pricing be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I, too, would recommend spending as much time as possible in London before or after your cruise. Fantastic, fun city...

The Disney ship is the Magic. That is a good point that the Disney cabins are bigger. If I compare that to a mini suite Princess is actually $5,000 more expensive, but I don’t think we’d sail in that room we’d just be in a normal balcony.

The Princess cruise leaves out of Dublin so we probably wouldn’t be able to make it over to London and would just spend a couple days in Ireland before.

First and foremost - this time is about the HONEYMOON !! - a "magical" hopefully once in a lifetime experience...;p

the cruise is secondary , in this case...sorry

a magical 7 days on a Disney cruise - with all the real Princesses...then 7 days in PARIS, did I say PARIS ??? as newlyweds...

cruising for cruising sakes can come later

END OF DISCUSSION :cool:

I agree it’s a once in a lifetime trip and I want it to be magical. I’m sure either cruise we pick we’ll have a good time. We just want to make sure we pick the one that will enhance our trip. My Fiancé is leaning towards the Disney/Paris combo. I agree it is super romantic to go to Paris and I have always wanted to go there

If you want to know what your status is at Princess, call the "Captain Circle" desk and ask.

As for a honeymoon, I'd go on the other side of the world and take a 15 day cruise to Hawaii...but that's just me.

I did think of Hawaii, but we live in Florida by the beach so besides the mountains the places are similar. I love Europe and keep wanting to go back there. My Fiancé hasn’t been to many places in Europe so his number one choice was also there. He’s been to Hawaii before

My husband and I have sailed 6 times on Disney, and have also sailed on Princess Crown, Regal, Ruby and Island. Personally, you could not pay me to set foot on the Crown Princess again. We were on a poorly handled norovirus cruise on the Crown. (And no, I did not get sick, nor do I wish to start any arguments re: norovirus or how "wonderful" some people feel the Crown is). The Crown Princess looked worn, food was bad, staff was overworked. The Crown has quite a past history for noroviurs infectrions which I find troublesome. Princess does alot of things right, and if it was any other ship, my answer would not be so negative. We still sail Princess and have had some great cruises with them. Princess does often have interesting itineraries and good prices. As for Disney, I assume you will be on the Magic. We did the Transatlantic on that ship and had a wonderful time! And we have it booked again for the Baltics. The ship is clean, bright and cheerful. Adult areas are plentiful, elegant and so peaceful. Disney by nature seems to me to exude a more upbeat, cheerful attitude. People are just more laid back. I would pick Disney for this one, even with the shorter itinerary. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.

That does sound scary, getting sick would be awful. I had read some bad reviews that made me nervous in the first place about picking the Crown. I wish the Royal was doing it again like they are this year I’ve wanted to go on that ship.

I’ve been on two Disney cruises and had an amazing time so I’m pretty sure we’ll love the cruise again. The Magic is actually my first Disney cruise so it holds a special place with me

Me too, but I live in the UK so a British Isles cruise would be distinctly anti-climatic for me ;p

OP, I think you should stick to the Disney cruise, seeing as you have said how much you always wanted to visit Paris and the longer cruise eliminates that. Doing it from Le Havre is not ideal, as you say you'll spend half the day on a coach. However, for me a whole week in Paris is a bit long. Maybe 3 days in Paris and 3 in London, or Edinburgh? Personally I hate London and love Edinburgh, but then again I suppose you may be visiting Edinburgh on your cruise anyway?

Ya Le Havre is just so far we really wouldn’t get to experience much of Paris.

So my plan for the week before the cruise was spend 4 days in Paris, see the Eiffel Tower, louvre, Notre Dame, and spend a day at Versailles. Then we’d take the train to London and spend three days there and then head over to Dover for the cruise. I’d like to go to Edinburgh, but it’s a little far from everything. The cruise docks by Glasgow and Edinburgh so we could potentially do an excursion there