CPAP Policy

Sorry to say it, but I'm a grown up. I don't rely on others to provide what I require for my medical equipment. DH and I both travel with our cpap machines. We both have power strips and extension cords packed in our travel cases. I don't expect hotels to provide distilled water or extension cords for our use, so I also don't expect the cruise ship to do so.

FWIW, if you contact Special Needs, they will arrange for an extension cord to be placed in your room. It will be one of those big, orange, heavy-duty cords. When you board, call Room Service for a gallon of distilled water for $3. If $3 is a deal-breaker for you, carry your own on. IMHO, $3 is not worth the hassle of carrying a gallon of water around through boarding.

We carry 2 cpaps with us now adays. Bring your own extention cord. Our first cruise on Royal, we left it up to them (not knowing any better). Our cord was one of those orange thick utility cords. We carry the cords in the cpap case. If you need the water, either use the tap one week or order it for $3. It's not that bad. No need to "go back to Royal" because you are questioning the system.

I do believe that it is largely up to each of us to look after ourselves. That means bringing an extension cord (why would you depend on a third party? What if there were a disproportionate number of users on your sailing?) and paying a nominal charge for water if assessed. Does your local grocery store or wherever you obtain it give it to you for free?

And as others have noted, each line does a few things differently. They basically balance out. If you don’t feel that way, stick with RCCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well said. My feelings exactly. My wife and I are CPAP users as well and we bring everything we need. It would be nice if Carnival had outlets closer to the bed but they don't so we deal with it.

My husband used a cpap and we cruised often. There is a plug in behind the bed - it is a European plug in, but we kept an adapter in the cpap bag, along with an extension cord and a mat to keep the machine from slipping. As soon as we got to the room, we just pulled the bed out a bit, unplugged one of the bedside laps and plugged his machine in, without having to worry about tripping over the cord, or taping it down. Worked great.

When did Carnival quit offering distilled water? I have always been able to get it for $3 per gallon, including during our Sunshine cruise in April. I just called Guest Services and it was delivered to our cabin within an hour.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

They didn't. The OP is pointing out that Carnival charges $3.00 for it, while other cruise lines provide it free of charge.

On Princess they provide you with a gallon of distilled water for free. On Carnival we either get the $3 gallon or use one of our 1 liter bottles we get free when cruising with Carnival. We bring an extension card but most of the time use one from the ship.:)

Since we stay at hotels pre and post cruise, we always travel with our own extension cord. It doesn't have to be new but it shouldn't show signs of wear either (and frankly, I personally don't want to use an extension cord that shows signs of wear - I really don't want to risk even a minor electrical shock).

When requested, Carnival has provided us with an extension cord - it's usually one of those super long, outdoor rated, super cords (one even had a multi-plug with it). We use whatever suits the cabin better (if my dad is closer to the plug, we use ours - if we need to wind it around a bunch of furniture to get to the plug, we use theirs).

He generally doesn't use the distilled water on the ships because he doesn't to.

Pre-cruise I fill out the form (for other reasons) with special needs and I indicate that he's bringing the CPAP. On Carnival, when checking in he has consistently had a flag on his account when checking in to confirm that he has his CPAP and that he's hand carrying it on (not checked luggage). Although I tell all cruise lines about the CPAP, it's been Carnival that has consistently shown that they are aware of it, confirm that he has it, and registers the cabin in case of power outage (we had the power go off in the night on another cruise line and it was, "So, what's the problem?").

On a cruise of 3k people, let’s guess a hundred or more have CPAPS. I would never risk not having an extension cord available because I chose not to bring one.

My SA is severe, AHI 33. I stop breathing every 2 minutes for 1 minute. I never depend on outsiders to care for my severe medical conditions.

I find it easier to have cord in my bag, no matter where I travel. I also use the ship water....I don't even make Carnival aware of it anymore, they used to call and check to make sure I had it and didn't need anything else. I just figure CPAPs are soooo common now, I got it covered.

*shrug*

Never had a problem with proximity to an outlet. Never took distilled water. Never asked for distilled water either. I use the faucet, and neither my CPAP or I have yet died.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have nothing to add except that I have never had any issue of any sort except the time I got completely blotto and took off my mask. But that wasn't Carnival's fault. It was YOURS.

The bigger reason for distilled waster for a cpap is this is what you are breathing.

Tap water has chemicals that you don't need to breath, but in the short term does not hurt.

You are better off with distilled though.

I bring one bottle of 20 oz.distilled and one 20 oz. bottle of vodka with my cpap.

Smuggle away!

PS: Also a 10' extension cord.

You didn't state any facts. You posted hearsay. But why would you expect any travel company to provide you with medical equipment?

I stated the facts provided to my travel agent when she called the Special Needs department. I did not expect Carnival to provide the CPAP machine, only distilled water and an extension cord as other cruise line companies do.

For short periods of time, like a 7 day cruise, using the ship's tap water would not harm the CPAP. If you take tap water from your cabin sink, and let it stand in a pitcher for a couple of hours (or the CPAP reservoir), open, the chlorine in the water will dissipate normally. There will be a small amount of calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums, the antacid) in the water, and this might produce a small amount of scale in the reservoir, but after the cruise follow the cleaning instructions to use vinegar to remove the scale.

Thank you for your kind, informative response!

I stated the facts provided to my travel agent when she called the Special Needs department. I did not expect Carnival to provide the CPAP machine, only distilled water and an extension cord as other cruise line companies do.

hear·say

ˈhirˌsā/

noun

• information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.
    "according to hearsay, Bob had managed to break his arm"
    synonyms:rumor, gossip, tittle-tattle, idle talk; More
    • LAW
      the report of another person's words by a witness, usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.
      everything they had told him would have been ruled out as hearsay"[/color]

• Pro·vide
    • prəˈvīd/
      verb
      [1.
      • make available for use; supply.
        "these clubs provide a much appreciated service for this area"

• Doesn't mean for free. They could also rent the cord.

[*]

• Like 1

ResMed who makes cpaps recommends distilled to keep the scale down and for the reservoir to last longer. Those are the only two reasons. I get a new reservoir every 6 months anyway.

Ship tap water is fine.

If you are concerned about chemicals, let the water sit for 20mins before you put the chamber in the machine. If you want to clean it less, or want “mind clean” water, use distilled.

I used my humidifier every night. I tried a week without it and found my sinuses did better without the humidifier. I do have sinus issues and had sinus surgery. My sinus membranes get swollen when I use the humidifier. YMMV but a tip for anyone who has sinus issues— maybe try no humidifier.

I still can’t get over that there is a person in this world who travels with a cpap and no extension cord (and I guess no extra outlets either) !!

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

As someone new to using a CPAP this thread has helped a lot to alleviate some of my concerns.

Learned a bunch of things I was concerned about.

I had no idea people tell cruise lines they have a cpap. Lol. Never occurred to me to do that. I have no plans to inform them either as it is none of their business really.

• Like 1

I had no idea people tell cruise lines they have a cpap. Lol. Never occurred to me to do that. I have no plans to inform them either as it is none of their business really.

You will show them..... maybe they can assist?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always do so I can arrange for a cord (if necessary) and distilled water.

Stop by Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc and get a 9' flat 3 wire extension cord. Leave it in your CPAP case for needs like this. It has worked in every cabin size from an inside to a Ocean Suite. I travel one to two nights a week and this has worked flawless for three years.

The ResMed water reservoir does lend itself to a buildup of scale. When you get home fill it with white vinegar and let it sit on the counter for 30 min. Dump the liquid in the top section and use a old toothbrush to clean it out. This will extend the life of the reservoir.

Replacements are on Amazon. For me it's cheaper than the co-pay...

I usually have a regular extension cord with me just in case, but I always email the special needs department ahead of time and ask very nicely if they could please provide one if available and ask them to please tape it down for me. They have always come through -- emailing me a confirmation for it ahead of time -- and always been super nice about it. Having them tape it down enables them to place it where it will not only be safer for clutzy me, but safer for the room steward to get around the room when he needs to. But if they're not able to provide the cord or tape it down, no big deal - I come prepared.

• 1 month later...
My husband used a cpap and we cruised often. There is a plug in behind the bed - it is a European plug in, but we kept an adapter in the cpap bag, along with an extension cord and a mat to keep the machine from slipping. As soon as we got to the room, we just pulled the bed out a bit, unplugged one of the bedside laps and plugged his machine in, without having to worry about tripping over the cord, or taping it down. Worked great.

You would not happen to have a link or pic of your European plug adapter, would you? I have been looking on Amazon, but they have so many adapters and power converters I don't know what I need to run the CPAP.