CPAP Policy

My husband uses a CPAP machine at night to assist his breathing. I was surprised to hear that Carnival does not provide distilled water, which is required for proper functioning of the machine. Nor do they provide an extension cord to ensure bedside placement. Our travel agent was advised that we'd have to bring our own distilled water or pay them $3 per gallon. In addition, we were advised to bring a "new" extension cord with us. I'll do whatever's necessary to ensure my husband's good health, but I was surprised to hear this when Royal Caribbean supplies both the water and extension cord without issue. Just a bit disappointed and surprised by Carnival's policy.

Carnival will provide a cord if necessary, but it might be best to bring your own. I agree, other lines I've sailed will provide water for no charge, but Carnival feels the need to charge for it. Still worth not lugging it though.

We advise everyone to bring their own cord (and duct tape) just much easier - there is no issue and Carnival will def provide one free of charge. In regards to water not sure what to tell you. If it is a big deal, then you can go back to Royal. I can name 5 things you can get for free on Carnival that Royal charges for, just some minor differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Interesting

My TA ensures there is distilled water in our cabin, an extension cord, and a small fridge for the insulin.

Thanks for your response. My agent called them today and she even called back a second time because she didn't believe what the first customer service person told her. The second customer service person reiterated exactly what I had posted. They did say you could ask the room steward for a cord but there was no guarantee one would be available.

Thanks for your response. My agent called them today and she even called back a second time because she didn't believe what the first customer service person told her. The second customer service person reiterated exactly what I had posted. They did say you could ask the room steward for a cord but there was no guarantee one would be available.

We take a couple from the dollar store.

Interesting

My TA ensures there is distilled water in our cabin, an extension cord, and a small fridge for the insulin.

We advise everyone to bring their own cord (and duct tape) just much easier - there is no issue and Carnival will def provide one free of charge. In regards to water not sure what to tell you. If it is a big deal, then you can go back to Royal. I can name 5 things you can get for free on Carnival that Royal charges for, just some minor differences.

I'm sorry you feel the need to attack me. All I did was state the facts here and my surprise regarding a medically-necessary device.

I'm sorry you feel the need to attack me. All I did was state the facts here and my surprise regarding a medically-necessary device.

I attack no one. I made two points. They are not telling you not to bring a cpap. We also advise to bring a 4 plug extension. Having a reasonable size cord makes it easier for you and duct taping it to the floor ensures safety.

I understand your concern. I will die without mine, literally. I have cruised several times with my CPAP. In my experience, the cord supplied with my machine (Airsense 10) was long enough to plug into the outlet above the desk with my machine on the nightstand. It does lay across the floor, but doesnt really get in the way.

I have chosen to simply use mine with the humidifier turned off, hence no need for water.

For short periods of time, like a 7 day cruise, using the ship's tap water would not harm the CPAP. If you take tap water from your cabin sink, and let it stand in a pitcher for a couple of hours (or the CPAP reservoir), open, the chlorine in the water will dissipate normally. There will be a small amount of calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums, the antacid) in the water, and this might produce a small amount of scale in the reservoir, but after the cruise follow the cleaning instructions to use vinegar to remove the scale.

You didn't state any facts. You posted hearsay. But why would you expect any travel company to provide you with medical equipment?

• Like 2

Dont count on guest services to have an extension cord. Hubby forgot his once and when he went to ask they said they had no more available. Luckily our first stop was the next day and he was able to get one at a store. He uses the ships water from the tap for his machine, it has been filtered and desalinized enough that it is fine for the cpap.

• Like 1

The only purpose of distilled water is to prevent scale build up in the humidifier chamber, which I don’t bring on a cruise anyway since the environment has humidity.

Distilled water is not needed for proper functioning. It’s because most people are too lazy to clean the chamber every night.

• Like 1

You didn't state any facts. You posted hearsay. But why would you expect any travel company to provide you with medical equipment?

I am also confused about this. It is my responsibility to bring everything I need for my medical device onboard. This includes the extension cord I bring everywhere with it.

And again, Op is wrong about needing distilled water for proper functioning.

• Like 1

I use a CPAP and have on all our cruises. I bring my own extension cord, common household type, (it's always in my CPAP carry case) and no, you don't need distilled water while on the cruise, the tap water works just fine and does not hurt the machine.

I do believe that it is largely up to each of us to look after ourselves. That means bringing an extension cord (why would you depend on a third party? What if there were a disproportionate number of users on your sailing?) and paying a nominal charge for water if assessed. Does your local grocery store or wherever you obtain it give it to you for free?

And as others have noted, each line does a few things differently. They basically balance out. If you don’t feel that way, stick with RCCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring cords and multi outlets. Plural. Cords. having and not needing is better than needing and not having. Also, a short cruise on tap water won't hurt a CPAP. I do it when traveling.