CPAP Policy

We advise everyone to bring their own cord (and duct tape) just much easier - there is no issue and Carnival will def provide one free of charge. In regards to water not sure what to tell you. If it is a big deal, then you can go back to Royal. I can name 5 things you can get for free on Carnival that Royal charges for, just some minor differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree..... but if I would have said this!

Different rules for different people.....

I had no idea people tell cruise lines they have a cpap. Lol. Never occurred to me to do that. I have no plans to inform them either as it is none of their business really.

We are within two weeks of taking our first cruise(Carnival) since my wife started using her CPAP. I called to pre order the gallon of distilled water, and they informed me that our TA needs to notify Carnival that we are bringing a CPAP on board. We talked to our TA and he did it. Not a problem. If we had booked directly with Carnival, I guess they would have taken our word for it, so I don't understand this requirement.

A gallon of water weighs in around 8 pounds. Would you carry a brick or a rock on board that weighed that much if you needed to have it open board, or would you pay the cruise line $3 to have one their waiting for you?

On the other hand, saving that $3 on every cruise, could net you a paid-for-cruise on every 500th cruise. Tax and port charges extra, of course.

I didn't know they would tape the cord down for you. Huh! I bring a roll of duct tape, as I sleep across from the desk so my mother can sleep under the window. Taping it down keeps anyone from tripping.

And I'm breathing that water so I jolly well get distilled. Didn't realize other lines gave it for free. That's interesting!

OP, you have fun and sleep well. May your humidifier never fail you.

You would not happen to have a link or pic of your European plug adapter, would you? I have been looking on Amazon, but they have so many adapters and power converters I don't know what I need to run the CPAP.

Most of the European plug adapters change the pin configuration, but leave the VOLTAGE at 220. This is OK for some things, and a sparky smokey death to other items. Be careful. Check twice before using. They also make an adapter than converts down to 110VAC, but it has a large transformer as part of it.

I have the european adapters that just convert the plug to 2 USB ports.

• 4 months later...

We are sailing on Breeze (first time on Carnival) and my DH and I both have CPAPs.  We will bring extension cords.  Are there 2 outlets in the room that we can use? Or should we bring an extension cord that has 2 outlets on it?  Any kind of extension cord will work?  We've only sailed RCCL and they DON'T want you to bring extension cords.  They want to provide them.  

2nd question- - I haven't been able to find where to order the Distilled water.  Should I just wait until we get on board? or is there a place to order this ahead of time?

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, MomtoCCC said:

We are sailing on Breeze (first time on Carnival) and my DH and I both have CPAPs.  We will bring extension cords.  Are there 2 outlets in the room that we can use? Or should we bring an extension cord that has 2 outlets on it?  Any kind of extension cord will work?  We've only sailed RCCL and they DON'T want you to bring extension cords.  They want to provide them.  

2nd question- - I haven't been able to find where to order the Distilled water.  Should I just wait until we get on board? or is there a place to order this ahead of time?

Thanks.

There is only one outlet.  We normally bring a power strip (no surge protector) and an extension cord.  If you ask, they will sometimes provide an extension cord for you, but I don't like to take chances.  As far as distilled water, simply call room service on the first day and they will deliver it for you.  It will be $3.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:57 AM, spleenstomper said:

The only purpose of distilled water is to prevent scale build up in the humidifier chamber, which I don’t bring on a cruise anyway since the environment has humidity.

Distilled water is not needed for proper functioning. It’s because most people are too lazy to clean the chamber every night.

Right!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, cruzincat50 said:

On the other hand, saving that $3 on every cruise, could net you a paid-for-cruise on every 500th cruise. Tax and port charges extra, of course.

Chuckle!

On our last cruise, I brought along an inexpensive water conductivity tester. It measures the mineral content of the water. On the Pride I measured zero ppm with the purified 12oz bottled water. This is equivalent to distilled water. I also tested the distilled water that Carnival delivered. Zero ppm.

I measured the water out of the tap that is supposed to be desalinated sea water via reverse osmosis.  That was 92ppm.  It doesn’t tell me what the minerals in the water were.  You are welcome to take your chances on what is in the tap water, as well as whether or not it ends up in your lungs.  My wife won’t. 

• Like 1

I always pack a new 15ft ext cord in the cpap case. Never had trouble getting it on board. I used to buy the distilled water from room service, but the last two sailings, I used the tap, figured reverse osmosis water is fine, and my insurance started covering replacement water compartments for my cpap every 6 months, so I have an older one I use to travel with and not worry about it...

Thanks for the reminder about the extension cord!

My husband uses a CPAP and travels a lot for business.  At home he does used distilled water, but when he is at a hotel, he just uses bottled water.  While on the ship, we will grab bottled water, wherever, as part of our Cheers package.

i can’t remember from past cruises (which were all before the CPAP) . . . Is there a nightstand by the bed? Or can we request some sort of small table for the CPAP?

I travel quite a lot for work. When at home, I use tap water for my CPAP Humidifier reservoir.  When I travel, I use the tap water in the hotel for my CPAP reservoir.  

As of this writing, I still do not believe that I am dead.

For those concerned about calcification buildup, here is a pro-tip:  If you do not run the thing dry, it will not build up the deposits.  They will remain in solution.  Pour out your water before you fill.  Maybe rinse it out.

For those concerned about breathing in tap water vapor, YOU EAT DEAD PLANTS AND ANIMALS EVERY DAY.  Sometimes, they're not even cooked. 

If you're all washing your vegetables (and bodies, for that matter) with distilled water, I have severely underestimated the capacity of those with more dollars than sense.  Please do not ever communicate with me.

I have used a c-pap or a bi-pap since 2007...and absolutely cannot sleep without it. Ive taken it on 6 cruises, and have always used the cabin tap water with absolutely no issues. I had a sleep study doctor tell me that while distilled water is reccomended for daily use, normal tap water will not in any way adversely affect the c-pap if used for a week or so. Since hearing this, I have followed this advice many times, with perfect results. When cruising, I carry on my c-pap in a back pack...in addition to my regular carry on. I always bring a regular household extension cord with it.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:17 PM, dunedinmaiden said:

My husband uses a CPAP machine at night to assist his breathing. I was surprised to hear that Carnival does not provide distilled water, which is required for proper functioning of the machine. Nor do they provide an extension cord to ensure bedside placement. Our travel agent was advised that we'd have to bring our own distilled water or pay them $3 per gallon. In addition, we were advised to bring a "new" extension cord with us. I'll do whatever's necessary to ensure my husband's good health, but I was surprised to hear this when Royal Caribbean supplies both the water and extension cord without issue. Just a bit disappointed and surprised by Carnival's policy.

Yes Royal provides it for free... but seriously, it is $3. Also, as a CPAP user, and a nurse - I can tell you that you can definitely use your CPAP without water, and it is not "required for proper functioning of the machine." So if you do not want to fork over the $3, then simply go without the water for the cruise. You might have a dry nose by the end of the week... but you will have saved your $3.  Depends on what is more important to you.

Wow, people will literally complain about anything. 

I should email John Heald demanding that they provide me with strips to test my blood sugar, my antidepressants, sunscreen, sea sickness tablets and panadol incase I get a headache from all your entitled whining. 

It’s $3. I’m pretty sure if you can afford to cruise, you can afford $3 for medical expenses. 

As already stated we both use a CPAP machine and never had a problem. I fact I never thought about filling out the special needs form, when we checked in for our last cruise they noted we had machines that we were carrying and when we got to the room extension cords where waiting on the bed for us. We have cruised a lot and regular water has not harmed our machines

• Like 1

May be off topic a bit, why does Carnival want us to carry our CPAP on with us and not in our checked luggage? I had mine packed in checked luggage last cruise and had no problem. I plan to continue this way. I hate carrying to much stuff.

My wife uses a CPAP and it never entered our thought process to rely on someone else to supply what we need for it to operate properly.  We take an extension cord and she uses bottled water on the ship.  A good cleaning after the cruise and it's good to go.  Distilled is preferred but for a 5-7 day cruise it isn't really needed.  Take control of your medical needs and not rely on the cruise line.  Sure, if you need meds refrigerated then let them do that.  (cabin mini fridges aren 't cold enougjh. 

Edited by boomhower

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, bakersdozen12 said:

Carnival most certainly does have distilled water, which you can order through room service; the cost is $3 or $4 (can't recall). I'm not sure who is telling you that they don't have it.

Distilled Water
Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039, Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.