Grand Alaska and Panama

rafinmd

For what it's worth I have posted "When and Where" sheets from both the cruise and land portion to my blog.

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/programs/alaska-panama/denali/

My scanner was in my "Meet me at the ship"bag so the last few will need to wait until I board the Westerdam.

Roy

Wow cup of joe in hand this am and got to read your blog!

Good pictures Roy. We drove from Fairbanks to Valdez

And I remember a heard of Carabou walking across the highway and we stopped so I could take some pics. At that time their antlers were molting what a site to see so close. We had an encounter with a black bear on the highway also but no stopping just a drive by shot from the car.

Thanks for your blog Roy.

Denise 😊

Great pics, Roy. Interesting on the monitors.

Don't worry about misspeaking - 11 different beds is still too many in my book :). 3 or 4 are my maximum for 30 days ;)

Thank you Denise, Erewhon, Jacqui, and Krazy Kruizers.

A quick update.

No, I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth. Transfer to the Westerdam was pretty smooth, but I’m trying to get organized and adjust to the stability of a straight week at sea. I am reunited with the big bag sent from home by Luggage Forward and spent most of Sunday afternoon trying to deal with this.

bagsgalore.jpg

Left to right it is the bag from home, the “meet me on the ship” bag from Fairbanks, the Bag from the Captain Cook in Anchorage, and finally my carryon.

I am now using my larger laptop with a few straight stable days more of room to work and am hoping to get up to speed relatively soon.

Roy

Thank you Denise, Erewhon, Jacqui, and Krazy Kruizers.

A quick update.

No, I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth. Transfer to the Westerdam was pretty smooth, but I’m trying to get organized and adjust to the stability of a straight week at sea. I am reunited with the big bag sent from home by Luggage Forward and spent most of Sunday afternoon trying to deal with this.

bagsgalore.jpg

Left to right it is the bag from home, the “meet me on the ship” bag from Fairbanks, the Bag from the Captain Cook in Anchorage, and finally my carryon.

I am now using my larger laptop with a few straight stable days more of room to work and am hoping to get up to speed relatively soon.

Roy

Roy just take your time and relax!! Your first obligation is to you and just enjoying your time with your great adventures. I know you’d get back to us when you could.

Have a relaxing first day. See your early walking hopefully with your great pics of sunrises coming😄

Well we did it Roy,

We booked Rotterdam San Diego-FLL 3/11/20-3/27/20

And then on 3/31 taking Oceania Riviera TA to the Med

For 15 days. Miami to Rome. Will then take 3 weeks and do our own thing. I really wanted to wait to see if a TA with HAL would be available but when Oceania came up all our check offs and worked with our time I couldn’t pass it up! I don’t feel guilty changing ships since I follow what you do.

Denise 😊

Thank you Denise, erewhon, and Krazy Kruizers. I'm on deck 4.

Day Y4C-11, Saturday, July 28, 2018, Denali to Anchorage

It was an early but not terribly early morning with bags due our at 7. I was up at 5 and tried Denali Square for wifi but it was closed and the shuttle up to the main lodge proved necessary.

I was snacking my way through breakfast but joined Roger and sipped coffee while he had his.

We left at 8:30 for the short ride to our waiting train.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/thetrain.jpg

We were booked on Chulitna, which turned out to be the very first car on the train. We were near the back of the car but could see a little bit (not much) out the front window. Our bartender Grant and rail guide Darren introduced themselves. Both proved to be excellent.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/chulitna.jpg

Our official departure time was 9:15 but we were ready and left about 10 minutes earlier, soon passing over the Riley Creek Bridge.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/riley.jpg

A half hour we caught up with the Nenana River and followed it for much of the morning.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/nenana.jpg

It took about 1 ½ hours to reach the summit of the railway. In that area the landscape had become quite alpine in nature.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/summit.jpg

A high point of the journey was crossing Hurricane Gulch, the highest and longest trestle on the line. We did not see the actual trestle but the views from both sides were quite breathtaking.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/hurricane.jpg

After the summit we followed the Susitna River much of the way into Talkeetna.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/susitna.jpg

We had one stop where people got off and on the Princess Car, at Talkeetna. One of the landmarks there is the Fairview Inn, visited by President Harding on his way to attend the ceremony for completion of the Railroad.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/fairview.jpg

Continuing into Anchorage we passed the Knik Arm and the Chugach Mountains.

ttps://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/chugach.jpg

We arrived in Fairbanks a little before 5:30 and were transferred to the Captain Cook Hotel. After Roger and I had our final dinner together he needed to take a nap before his EARLY morning (about 1:45) flight and I wanted to do a little shopping. There was a grocery store (more like a nice deli) where I got some milk, diet coke, ice cream, and an apple, then stopped at a mall on the way back for an IPAD cable to replace one I had lost.

After returning from shopping I worked on the computer while Roger slept. We said farewell and he left for the airport and I called it a day.

As a parting shot you sometimes get the idea that nobody knows you far from home. In this far north region I’ve been surprised twice. My first trip to Dawson City I was walking back from Diamond Tooth Gerties when I recognized some familiar looking t-shirts. It turned out to be my County Executive and the Chief of a neighboring fire department with their wives (both involved in the fire service). Lightning has struck in the far north again. While walking from the grocery store to the mall I heard somebody calling my name. It turned out to be one of my former scouts. Sean was part of a group of about 4 scouts who were quite close, but he was probably the most serious of the group. He was active in my troop about 5-10 years ago, attaining the rank of Eagle around 2012. What a pleasure to see an old (but now far more mature) face again.

Roy

Roy, I’ve very much enjoyed your reports as we fly to Vancouver today to follow in your footsteps. We board Volendam tomorrow doing Y4C as well as the return back to Vancouver aboard Westerdam.

We are contemplating breaking away from the tour for one day, the travel day from Fairbanks to Denali as we would like to ride the Alaska Railroad, foregoing the Gold Dredge, pipeline tour and bus ride in favor of the train. We would rejoin the group in Denali. Of course we would notify the tour host of our plans, but in your opinion can you think of any reason this wouldn’t be a good idea or wouldn’t be doable?

Roy, I’ve very much enjoyed your reports as we fly to Vancouver today to follow in your footsteps. We board Volendam tomorrow doing Y4C as well as the return back to Vancouver aboard Westerdam.

We are contemplating breaking away from the tour for one day, the travel day from Fairbanks to Denali as we would like to ride the Alaska Railroad, foregoing the Gold Dredge, pipeline tour and bus ride in favor of the train. We would rejoin the group in Denali. Of course we would notify the tour host of our plans, but in your opinion can you think of any reason this wouldn’t be a good idea or wouldn’t be doable?

Not the OP but....

Having taken the train on the Denali/Fairbanks route a few times and the bus .....I prefer the bus. The train route is only scenic in my opinion just outside Denali along the river. The bus ride is faster and just as scenic and you may stop at an interesting stop along the way (we stopped at Nenana) on one bus trip. Having been to the gold dredge and the pipeline this stop has become something of a touristy destination through the years but it is still enjoyable. Won't you be on the railroad from Denali to Anchorage?

Not the OP but....

Having taken the train on the Denali/Fairbanks route a few times and the bus .....I prefer the bus. The train route is only scenic in my opinion just outside Denali along the river. The bus ride is faster and just as scenic and you may stop at an interesting stop along the way (we stopped at Nenana) on one bus trip. Having been to the gold dredge and the pipeline this stop has become something of a touristy destination through the years but it is still enjoyable. Won't you be on the railroad from Denali to Anchorage?

Yes, we’ll be on the HAL train from Denali to Anchorage. But I’m a railroader (!) having just retired after 39 years. Since no two trains are alike (IMHO), I’d also like to experience the Alaska Railroad in addition to the HAL tourist train. So I’ve got to weigh out train vs. bus, and thank you for your opinion and perspective.

Thank you Krazy Kruizers and Bon Voyage Beav.

I have a couple of suggestions. Unless I am missing something your day will be way ahead of the group. Our schedule was bags out at 6:30, departure for the dredge at 9:30, and arrival at Denali about 5:30. I believe the train leaves at 8:15 and arrives Denali about 12:15. In the morning you should be able to put your bags out with everybody else and leave at the appropriate time for the train.

At Denali (I assume you're staying at McKinley Chalet) there are 3 different living areas, and your coach will pull up to the appropriate one. Make sure you have a plan with the journey host for meeting up in Denali. She will give out a cell phone number but it might not work in Denali. Here's a basic map of the complex:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/chaletmap.pdf

When you arrive at Denali you are only a few feet from the Visitor Center and there are shuttles to McKinley every half hour. You might enjoy taking in one of the sled dog demonstrations; they should be at 2 and 4 with shuttles to them leaving about a half hour earlier.

In Fairbanks your journey host should offer you an opportunity to have bags sent to Denali, to Anchorage, or to the ship. I strongly recommend that you take advantage of either the ship or Anchorage if that might work for you.

I'm not sure if your agency has made special arrangements for you but I had 2 separate bookings and my Denali documents did not include a transfer to the ship. I stopped at the hotel tour desk and they confirmed I had purchased a transfer. Expect it to leave from the Egan Center, about 3 blocks away, but you can drop your bags at the hotel (At least Captain Cook), and take just your carryons to the Egan.

Roy

Thank you Krazy Kruizers and Bon Voyage Beav.

I have a couple of suggestions. Unless I am missing something your day will be way ahead of the group. Our schedule was bags out at 6:30, departure for the dredge at 9:30, and arrival at Denali about 5:30. I believe the train leaves at 8:15 and arrives Denali about 12:15. In the morning you should be able to put your bags out with everybody else and leave at the appropriate time for the train.

At Denali (I assume you're staying at McKinley Chalet) there are 3 different living areas, and your coach will pull up to the appropriate one. Make sure you have a plan with the journey host for meeting up in Denali. She will give out a cell phone number but it might not work in Denali. Here's a basic map of the complex:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/chaletmap.pdf

When you arrive at Denali you are only a few feet from the Visitor Center and there are shuttles to McKinley every half hour. You might enjoy taking in one of the sled dog demonstrations; they should be at 2 and 4 with shuttles to them leaving about a half hour earlier.

In Fairbanks your journey host should offer you an opportunity to have bags sent to Denali, to Anchorage, or to the ship. I strongly recommend that you take advantage of either the ship or Anchorage if that might work for you.

I'm not sure if your agency has made special arrangements for you but I had 2 separate bookings and my Denali documents did not include a transfer to the ship. I stopped at the hotel tour desk and they confirmed I had purchased a transfer. Expect it to leave from the Egan Center, about 3 blocks away, but you can drop your bags at the hotel (At least Captain Cook), and take just your carryons to the Egan.

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for the good info. Yes, I'm aware we will be ahead of the group in arriving Denali should we take this diversion. Thanks for the detailed info about the logistics upon arrival at McKinley Chalet. As to the transfer to Seward (train), yes, we have two different booking numbers. In our TA's original advertisement of the "combo" trip (Volendam/Westerdam) it stated rail transfer to Seward. In a later email I noticed it said "transfer to airport (ANC)". Then, finally, the most recent document that confirmed the rail transfer to Seward. So thank you for the heads up, as we may also encounter this.

Roy,

Thanks for the good info. Yes, I'm aware we will be ahead of the group in arriving Denali should we take this diversion. Thanks for the detailed info about the logistics upon arrival at McKinley Chalet. As to the transfer to Seward (train), yes, we have two different booking numbers. In our TA's original advertisement of the "combo" trip (Volendam/Westerdam) it stated rail transfer to Seward. In a later email I noticed it said "transfer to airport (ANC)". Then, finally, the most recent document that confirmed the rail transfer to Seward. So thank you for the heads up, as we may also encounter this.

A couple more things. I THINK I remember that the rail transfer to Seward started at the airport so you MAY need that airport transfer after all. Check with your journey host or the hotel tour desk to be sure.

Also, I hope sometime you'll have a comparison of the actual Alaska RR train with the McKinley Explorer.

Roy

Thanks again, Roy, for the additional info on the Seward transfer. We’ll inquire about it. Will be glad to offer a comparison betwen the two if we chose the Alaska Railroad.

As info, we are currently in Lyft en route to SFO for our flight to YVR. As we crossed the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge we waved at the next ship on your continuing adventure, Crystal Symphony, which is docked today at Pier 27!