Are Cruise Ships Safe?

G.M.T.

In my experience, each time we board the ship our sea pass is scanned.

I assume the same goes for staff and crew.

How, then, does anyone else get on?

This is a serious breach in security and should not have happened. It doesn't matter who the stowaways were. There should not have been any.

Can be??? Heck, cruising is like a very bad drug habit for me.... LOL

My spouse gets this knotty feeling in the stomach when I Am out of sight for 45+ minutes.... not knowing what I may have booked or if in fact I did book...

Good thing we are booked through 2021... no more surprizes!

bon voyage

It's just the opposite in our house Bo...I wait till DH is deeply entranced in a baseball or more likely football game...then when it sounds like something big is happening I ask him....Hon, you want to go on a cruise to Antarctica? He's not paying attention and usually responds with "yeah, yeah, ok".... and so we are!! ;p

The fact is that none of us know what these two particular stowaways were doing … just trying to get to a new life, or family in another European country? trying to get on for a free ride? maybe checking out security measures for future activities? (… I read a lot of modern political thrillers … )

We will probably never know. But I trust that port & Celebrity officials will find out how they got on board and plug any holes. We will be in Rhodes on another cruise next month!

In my experience' date=' each time we board the ship our sea pass is scanned.

I assume the same goes for staff and crew.

How, then, does anyone else get on?

This is a serious breach in security and should not have happened. It doesn't matter who the stowaways were. There should not have been any.[/quote']

You're absolutely right, there should not have been any but I think the most important thing is that the crew discovered them and notified the authorities. It's unfortunate but there are so many people on this planet who are desperate to leave where they live and get to somewhere safe....as well as the ones who are bent on causing mayhem. I think X and other cruise lines do a pretty good job at controlling who gets on board and I personally feel very safe on any Celebrity ship.

That is totally besides the point. The point is that security was breached to the extent that two people who were not supposed to be able to board the ship somehow made it onboard. This time, refugees wanting to save themselves. Next time terrorists?? That is the question. Are we so blind to all the political posturing going on in the news that we don't recognize that not all who bypass security are helpless refugees looking for a better life?

I’m still stressing the point that these two weren’t refugees trying to save themselves any longer. The desperate attempt to reach safety had been accomplished, since they were already in Greece, already embarked on the official asylum process. They wanted to circumvent that official process and get to a country they fancied more than Greece. They had no pressing need to get on Reflection. They did it because they are chancers, looking for an illegal shortcut to a nicer lifestyle.

it's just the opposite in our house bo...i wait till dh is deeply entranced in a baseball or more likely football game...then when it sounds like something big is happening i ask him....hon, you want to go on a cruise to antarctica? He's not paying attention and usually responds with "yeah, yeah, ok".... And so we are!! ;p

so funny!!

I’m still stressing the point that these two weren’t refugees trying to save themselves any longer. The desperate attempt to reach safety had been accomplished, since they were already in Greece, already embarked on the official asylum process. They wanted to circumvent that official process and get to a country they fancied more than Greece. They had no pressing need to get on Reflection. They did it because they are chancers, looking for an illegal shortcut to a nicer lifestyle.
If you've seen the refugee camps, you would know why someone would get ansy. What they did was wrong but they were caught.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Today it might be stowaways

( hopefully healthy) looking for a ride....but it also could be terrorists, pirates, etc.. So yes, it is disturbing that they were able to board the ship.. We appreciate that security and local enforcement took care of the situation. Caption of thread was chosen by OP..I might have picked Stowaways on Reflection...

It could be terrorists or pirates next time. Since 9 / 11 we've seen some extremely dangerous, well motivated and highly skilled terrorists, Anders Breivik for example.

If these people want to attack a cruise ship they will. Funnily enough we set sail on one in 16 days time. I can choose to lay awake at night worrying about it or I can completely forget about the threat and look forward to my holiday. In my world the latter is more appealing. Life is better when you accept some aspects are completely out of your control.

I'm still completely unconcerned about a couple of stowaways onboard, particularly in that part of the world and with what's going on there right now. If I had genuine concerns I'd never sail again. :)

I was on Reflection for this cruise in April-May. This incident would never stop me or my DH from cruising Reflection. If it really bothers someone, they can choose not to cruise on Reflection if they feel threatened. You can spend your life worrying about everything and die early or just use your own common sense...I hate to mention this as I was flamed by someone saying there is no such thing-common sense. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion about things, but just do not expect everyone to share yours...I have never experienced life as a refugee, so have no idea what I would do...

There have been stowaways on planes, and through airports as well.

Haven't heard that that's stopped anyone flying, but maybe it has...

Plus the TSA farce. If people are scared of cruises due to this, then they should also be scared of flying.

I'm sure it's more dangerous going to an from work every day then it is being on a cruise ship. I guess I'll stop going to work. ;)

I decided to stop going to work, the risk was just too great. Onboard cruise ships the only serious threat I have faced is that bartenders don't seem to understand that someone with a Premium package ought to be poured Premium liquor and wine even when the cheap stuff is more readily at hand. I have learned to suffer through...

Stan