Are Cruise Ships Safe?

G.M.T.

Seems to me they aced the hard part and failed the easy. Once on board all they had to do was get to the public areas and blend in. Instead it seems they hid out in a crew only area. I guess if you've never been on a cruise ship before you wouldn't know this.

Seems to me they aced the hard part and failed the easy. Once on board all they had to do was get to the public areas and blend in. Instead it seems they hid out in a crew only area. I guess if you've never been on a cruise ship before you wouldn't know this.

Will you smuggle me aboard? I would do my best to blend in, especially if I could pack a few items of clothing in your suit case too! :D

bon voyage

I am totally confused for 2 reasons:

1: How on earth could they get on board as the security always seems very tight on cruise ships when leaving and boarding?

2: How do some posters not think that this is a concern! It is like someone 'not meant to be there' getting on an aeroplane. They could have had 'anything' with them to cause a 'problem'

Hubby and I are not paranoid people, but would like to think that someone, somewhere on Celebrity has looked in to this incident very closely and 'plugged the gap' re security.

Just bizarre .............

Presto2

Security is not tight at all cruise ports, yes it will stop you getting in with that extra bottle of spirits, but a group of determined individuals, I doubt it.

You can be sure that X will have analysed this incident fully and will have taken steps to hopefully prevent it happening again, the last thing they will want is any incident where passengers are put at danger.

When you travel, you take many calculated risks, being on a cruise is just another calculation. I've reckoned it to be an acceptable one, so sit down and do your sums.

I am totally confused for 2 reasons:

1: How on earth could they get on board as the security always seems very tight on cruise ships when leaving and boarding?

2: How do some posters not think that this is a concern! It is like someone 'not meant to be there' getting on an aeroplane. They could have had 'anything' with them to cause a 'problem'

Hubby and I are not paranoid people, but would like to think that someone, somewhere on Celebrity has looked in to this incident very closely and 'plugged the gap' re security.

Just bizarre .............

I agree on all points

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try this scenario: I want to get to Italy and off Rhodes. I see a number of crewmen and passengers wandering the city. I spot one that kind of looks like me; I follow them and I lift their ship ID. I’m on board if the security people don’t give me a good once over. But as pointed out, once on board, what do I do? I get caught, just as these fellows were, and they were caught within a short time since they were still in port. There are various scenarios we can come up with, and the more we do, the more ‘help’ we are giving people such as some of our fellow posters who joke about sneaking on a cruise someone posts about that they’d love to join.

Concern? I guess as much as I get concerned reading about auto accidents in my area, or ordering my steak rare because cruise ships tend to cook steaks longer than requested, and a chef actually gives me a very rare one, and some Veterinarian jumps up on my table to try to revive it!

Yes, I think this type of news is interesting to read, but not particularly worried.......or to be truthful, I didn’t think about ‘safetly’, just interested in how they pulled it off!

Den

I realize that we can become concerned over security issues pertaining to what we enjoy and are involved in, but except for two guys getting on a ship and getting caught within a short time, what is the real concern? Do you think that Celebrity won’t check on how this occurred and fix it? Don’t you think these two guys, obviously not ‘terrorists’, were just trying to get off Rhodes and aren’t a danger to anyone. And before we start the , ‘Yes, but...’ and theorize that some guy with a bomb or AK-47 getting on board, this isn’t the case and that is a completely difference security issue, not two guys who snuck on for a very short time.

The actual break in security that allowed this will be identified and fixed. And to tell you the truth, there are similar occurrences occuring that we don’t read about but get fixed in the background.

Life when we decide to go further then our own backyard.

Den

I read the thread title and thought about replying "No. They can be very addictive....".

I'm not in the least bit concerned about having future cruises affected by stowaways. I kind of pity anyone who feels "extremely disturbed" by this situation. One of us could get hit on the back of the head by a falling meteorite tomorrow. I don't worry about that either! :D

Well done to the staff who saw them and acted accordingly.

Today it might be stowaways

( hopefully healthy) looking for a ride....but it also could be terrorists, pirates, etc.. So yes, it is disturbing that they were able to board the ship.. We appreciate that security and local enforcement took care of the situation. Caption of thread was chosen by OP..I might have picked Stowaways on Reflection...

Here's the port situation in Rhodes; https://goo.gl/maps/fJy6LbHGcbv

Roam around with your mouse.

A busy road with a single fence, a relative large open space between the ship and her surroundings was the most protective layer in security. But there was almost no security taking place at the main gate to the port, so that line of defense was already lost.

With the port buildings and half kept ruins for shelter and cover right in front of the ship those two just had to cross the open dockside space before climbing on board. Who knows how long they staked out for a good chance..

As far as I know we did not replenish on anything in Rhodes so it were the rope springs or the gangway, were the gangway really seems out of the question for them.

Stuff happens. I am somehow glad some refugees actually made land, dozens of them drown in the Med each day while we complain about [insert anything on board] a few miles away on the same waters. But that's another discussion. :)

Did not know how to shorten the quote properly...This was a great link..definitely refreshed my recollection of this port. I also recall a very scenic sail in...

No concerns about safety. If you are carrying a tiny pocket knife or a bottle of booze they will get you!

But illegal aliens are fine :(.

Hank

Not sure of the reference to the post at large...

bon voyage

The fact that stowaways (even if they’re harmless ) were easily able to board a cruise ship is extremely disturbing

I can't say I am extremely disturbed, but I do wonder how they got on board without help from some quarter. I am hopeful no crew member was involved and I trust Celebrity and the authorities will do a thorough investigation.

Are planes safe?

Are cars safe?

Is running with scissors safe?

Is swimming after eating safe?

Are eating eggs safe?

Are elevators safe?

I need to know all these things before I get on a cruise ship!

Napping on your couch at home isn't even safe. ;)

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/02/130220-russia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

I realize that we can become concerned over security issues pertaining to what we enjoy and are involved in, but except for two guys getting on a ship and getting caught within a short time, what is the real concern? Do you think that Celebrity won’t check on how this occurred and fix it? Don’t you think these two guys, obviously not ‘terrorists’, were just trying to get off Rhodes and aren’t a danger to anyone. And before we start the , ‘Yes, but...’ and theorize that some guy with a bomb or AK-47 getting on board, this isn’t the case and that is a completely difference security issue, not two guys who snuck on for a very short time.

Agreed.

And that's what we got straight after your post ;-)

Interesting article about how two refugees were found aboard Refelection:

http://crew-center.com/two-syrian-immigrants-illegally-board-celebrity-reflection-rhodes

Don't think we will ev er find out how they managed to get onboard.

Safe how? These refugees were escaping to save their lives not to take yours.....

Safe how? These refugees were escaping to save their lives not to take yours.....

Safety of cruise ship passengers aside, those particular refugees were already on EU soil, and no longer in any danger. They wanted to circumvent the system for processing refugees in Greece and try their luck in continental Europe.

That is totally besides the point. The point is that security was breached to the extent that two people who were not supposed to be able to board the ship somehow made it onboard. This time, refugees wanting to save themselves. Next time terrorists?? That is the question. Are we so blind to all the political posturing going on in the news that we don't recognize that not all who bypass security are helpless refugees looking for a better life?

Will you smuggle me aboard? I would do my best to blend in, especially if I could pack a few items of clothing in your suit case too! :D

bon voyage

Maybe if they hadn't complained about the food quality in the buffet, they would have been better off

I agree. This explanation was great, and I don't even think any more comments were necessary. End of discussion. lol.

I'm going to start some new threads:

Are planes safe?

Are cars safe?

Is running with scissors safe?

Is swimming after eating safe?

Are eating eggs safe?

Are elevators safe?

I need to know all these things before I get on a cruise ship!

I'm sure your new threads will be fascinating, but what effect do they have on cruising? Specifically, what effect do they have on stowaways on board?

Just saw on the news today a story about a young woman who was celebrating her first wedding anniversary, doing a culinary tour of Mexico City (a place she had been to, many times before). She and her DH were leaving an upscale restaurant, when she was struck and killed by a stray bullet (someone was trying to kill the bouncer, and missed). :(

So, yeah -- wrong place, wrong time -- STUFF happens. But, it's not going to stop me from traveling -- or cruising.

Strangest one I saw was years ago in Aruba. Were down by the high-rise hotels and noticed the pool area (Holiday Inn?) roped off in yellow tape. Aruba is very windy and the big palms are not deeply rooted. A tree fell on some sunbathers injuring a few a killing a man. This man was on a cruise ship that was there for the day and wanted to visit the hotel were they had previously stayed. Always thought of how odd that you could get killed on a cruise by a palm tree.

Guess when your number is up! I just don't want to be on a plane when the pilots number is up!

I'm sure your new threads will be fascinating, but what effect do they have on cruising? Specifically, what effect do they have on stowaways on board?

If you were diligent to dig this up from Page 1 you should then have followed the Quote trail back to the source and then you might have understood these Tongue in Cheek comments.

That is totally besides the point. The point is that security was breached to the extent that two people who were not supposed to be able to board the ship somehow made it onboard. This time, refugees wanting to save themselves. Next time terrorists?? That is the question. Are we so blind to all the political posturing going on in the news that we don't recognize that not all who bypass security are helpless refugees looking for a better life?

Understand the concern that unauthorized people/stowaways got on the ship, and that dangerous types could. No one is blind to that, but many of us understand there is a Huge difference between two refugees and terrorists getting on with what they’d have to have as weapons to do anything beyond punching people with their fists, usually done by drunk passengers. Please don’t start the ‘Yes, but.....they could be carrying knives and stuff!’....the reason those two got on was most likely because they found a way of being very low key.....they didn’t bring on a case of booze to see them through the cruise and get caught going through the scanners.....or an Uzzi.

It needs to be addressed as a break in security which isn’t minor, but its Two Stowaways. As for pirates sneaking on, I”m a Pirate!! My last fighter squadron had black tails with the Skull and Crossbones on them - I’m a member of a Pirate Crew in town, a group of us who dress up as pirates and parade. Great fun.

OK, back to stowaways.

Den