1st Caribbean Cruise on Princess - 2 Questions about Formal Night

katmu

I've read quite a few threads that include discussion of the official dress code on formal night. Since this is my first time on Princess, and only my 2nd cruise ever I still have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the more experienced cruisers can answer. My cruise will be in mid-December on the Royal Princess if that matters.

1. I'm debating between shorter cocktail dresses and long formal dresses, or possibly one of each. What percentage of women in your experience are typically in long gowns? If it's only 5-10%, I would likely stick with the cocktail dresses.
  2. Are both formal nights the same level of formality, or is one more formal than the other due to something like a Captain's dinner?

Thank you.

very few ballgown type dresses are seen anymore. cocktail is good for formal night. my daughter wears long dresses because she loves to dress up. sometimes i wear longish ones too but its because i'm short. hahaha!

i feel like the second formal night is more dressy. its the one i break out the long black skirt and the pearls. i wear a cocktail dress for the first formal night.

Let me take a stab at that one. I'd say that long, formal dresses are seen on no more than 10% of all ladies in the MDR. Pretty uncommon, tho' not unheard of, and quite attractive to my eye. I'd say you'll be happiest if you're wearing what you'd most like to be seen in, and that's not too burdensome to pack. In my opinion, and we all have them, I deplore the fact that Princess has turned a blind eye to their own dress code. So, unlike many on this board, I applaud your decision to look great and dressed up. In more than than 30 Princess cruises, I've never worn anything but a tux on formal night...even to specialty restaurants. Call me a weirdo, but I came by this honestly from my Dad, who also loved wearing a tux. And, it's sexy to see my wife dressed up as well. (love those seamed stockings!!)

I think that for all intents and purposes, the formal nights are equally "formal". steve

You will undoubtedly see long gowns, but I would guess your estimate of 5-10% is correct. You'll see more cocktail dresses, but many wear long pants with sequined tops, and many wear what I would call dressy casual. The dress code would be the same for each formal night.

I think the first formal night 'might' be a little more formal for people, if that is when the champagne waterfall occurs...lots of pictures, etc

the second formal night - been there, done that, got the picture...

remember...formal night basically ends in the atrium...the mdr can be more relaxed, think men in casual pants and a collared shirt ( I do long sleeve )...and women with anything "sparkly"...

enjoy - do you own thing, others can kma, and be comfortable

it's just as much your cruise as it is theirs...

You will not be out of place, regardless of what you choose. Essentially no one wears real ball gowns. A significant number of ladies will wear long dresses, some more dressy than others. Ditto guys in tux. Many more will be in short dresses, guys in suits or sport coats. Perhaps 10-15% go quite dressed up.

Cruising has become a lot more casual in recent years...perhaps since the airlines instituted luggage charges. The last time I saw a real ball gown on a ship was when daughter was in high school and insisted on it. There was one other teen similarly dressed up. I said something to the mother who replied that she was considering trashing the crinoline so it wouldn't have to go back into the suitcase! No adults did it up "all the way!"

I say wear what makes you feel most comfortable. There are nights I stay in my formal attire all night long, and other nights I change after dinner into something more comfortable. I've seen people very dressed up to casual on formal night. It's all about what you feel comfortable in. The dress code states that you cannot go to the MDR in your casual attire on formal night, but people go to other dining options those nights.

It sounds like you have 2 dressy options. You will fit right in with both!

I say wear what makes you feel most comfortable. There are nights I stay in my formal attire all night long, and other nights I change after dinner into something more comfortable. I've seen people very dressed up to casual on formal night. It's all about what you feel comfortable in. The dress code states that you cannot go to the MDR in your casual attire on formal night, but people go to other dining options those nights.

It sounds like you have 2 dressy options. You will fit right in with both!

And even then, what is "too casual" for formal night is up to the maitre'd....there is virtually no standardization across the line.

A cocktail dress will be just fine. I think most people kick it up a notch on formal night, but I only saw a few long dresses. Most women were either in cocktail dresses or sparkly tops with black pants. I wore the latter and felt perfectly dressed.

Let me take a stab at that one. I'd say that long, formal dresses are seen on no more than 10% of all ladies in the MDR. Pretty uncommon, tho' not unheard of, and quite attractive to my eye. I'd say you'll be happiest if you're wearing what you'd most like to be seen in, and that's not too burdensome to pack. In my opinion, and we all have them, I deplore the fact that Princess has turned a blind eye to their own dress code. So, unlike many on this board, I applaud your decision to look great and dressed up. In more than than 30 Princess cruises, I've never worn anything but a tux on formal night...even to specialty restaurants. Call me a weirdo, but I came by this honestly from my Dad, who also loved wearing a tux. And, it's sexy to see my wife dressed up as well. (love those seamed stockings!!)

I think that for all intents and purposes, the formal nights are equally "formal". steve

Why would anyone call that weird? It's your choice to wear what you like on Princess's formal night & no one should tell you different.

I always wear a floor length dress on formal nights. Cocktail dresses the other nights. I also see several other women in floor length dresses on formal nights. I always do the late, traditional dinner seating though, so that may have something to do with seeing more formal attire?

• 4 months later...

We are going on the Grand Princess over Christmas and it will definitely be long dress and tuxedo for us on formal night.  Part of the fun of cruising is being able to dress up at night as where else can you do that now.  

• Like 1

Long formal gowns on women are as infrequent as tux on men.   Many women wear the black pants with top while others have on short dresses.  All formal nights are the same as far as dress codes.  The Princess dress codes are up to who is at the door and varies by ship and where it is sailing.  Caribbean cruises and Mexican Riviera cruises tend to be less formal than say an European cruise.   Formal night is only observed in the MDR.  Specialty restaurants are casual the entire cruise and then there is the buffet where almost anything goes.  Many change clothes after dinner in the MDR but some stay in their finery all night.  

7 hours ago, maynich said:

We are going on the Grand Princess over Christmas and it will definitely be long dress and tuxedo for us on formal night.  Part of the fun of cruising is being able to dress up at night as where else can you do that now.  

Wonderful !

Wear what makes you feel best!  We always travel in a group ranging from 10-12 people.  All of the guys wear Tuxedos because we enjoy getting decked out.  Besides, we would look silly next to our beautiful brides, because they all wear long dresses.  On the casual nights , they tend to wear sun dresses or cocktail dresses and the men wear collared shirts and nice slacks.  If it's a Christmas time cruise (meaning anytime in December) I like to wear a funny Christmas tie a couple of nights.  Bottom line: dress as you like.  And for the record, I think the stats being thrown around are a little on the light side.  Maybe ship wide they are accurate, but the folks actually eating in the MDR on formal nights seem to be dressed very nicely at much more than 5-10%.  Just my personal observation!

if you’re on the Royal Dec. 15th cruise, we’ll also be on board.  I rarely see any women in evening gowns on the caribbean itineraries, although I’m wondering if there will be more traditional formal attire worn since it’s close to Christmas. I typically wear a cocktail dress one of the formal nights and a fancy top and pants the other. My husband wears a dark suit and tie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I am on the Crown this week and have packed a long formal dress. I like dressing up, and black pants with a sparkley top is so dull and lazy! We are in our early 30s and I guess we just like to look good. Even if I'm the only one on the ship in a long dress I'll own it lol.

When you reach a certain age, you may not be able to wear the type of shoes and heels that look so nice with formal dresses.  Be grateful you’re young and healthy enough to do it and try not to judge those of us who feel we look good in our black pants and a sparkly tops that we can wear with flats.😊

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pcsunlover said:

When you reach a certain age, you may not be able to wear the type of shoes and heels that look so nice with formal dresses.  Be grateful you’re young and healthy enough to do it and try not to judge those of us who feel we look good in our black pants and a sparkly tops that we can wear with flats.😊

Sorry didn't mean to come across as judgey! But if you wear a floor length dress you don't need heels at all! I'm rubbish with high heels and often sneak a pair of flats under a maxi dress.

• Like 2