Restaurants

loves2crooze

I am wondering if it is a good idea eating at a "upgraded" restaurant the last night of a cruise. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Depends on the ship and what is meant by "upgraded." On many, if not most, mass market lines, the "specialty" restaurants may suggest a better quality of food and service while on premium/luxury lines "specialty" means a more focused menu with chefs/wait staff expert in that arena (e.g., on Oceania at no added cost).

On the latter (premium/luxury), whether to choose the last night would only matter on your cuisine preference.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I am wondering if it is a good idea eating at a "upgraded" restaurant the last night of a cruise. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

That's a personal choice regardless of which night....We actually don't use these ourselves at all.

Based on my experiences, the last night of a cruise is typically not easy to book a specialty restaurant, unless you do it when you get on board. So many people want to get that special experience. What happens is that the place is at capacity and service suffers. Don't do the last night specialty restaurant unless you have a special occasion you want to celebrate. Book early.

Jim

What is the Royal board?

It is the Cruise Critic RCI board, which has a focus for RCI questions, located at the following link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

The suggestion to post your question there is to reach a broader RCI audience in order to generate more responses to your specific Anthem question.

We have eaten at specialty restaurants on RCI and NCL. I can't say I was particularly impressed with either for the cost. We did the Winemaker's Table on Regal Princess and it was fabulous. It was mid cruise, and that was nice for us. We plan to try Carnival's steakhouse on our next cruise since we've seen good reviews (and it's our anniversary cruise), but it will be first night not last.

I don't think the up-charge restaurants are necessary, but if you want to try one I would not chose the last night. The last night I am more focused on packing and getting back to "the real world" - I doubt my mood would be right to allow me to enjoy the full experience so I'd do the splurge on a different evening - maybe next to last night.

Need to know what ship , we eat most meals on rccl in specialty and have also done princess and Hal. Different ships have different restaurants

We have eaten at specialty restaurants on RCI and NCL. I can't say I was particularly impressed with either for the cost. We did the Winemaker's Table on Regal Princess and it was fabulous. It was mid cruise, and that was nice for us. We plan to try Carnival's steakhouse on our next cruise since we've seen good reviews (and it's our anniversary cruise), but it will be first night not last.

I don't think the up-charge restaurants are necessary, but if you want to try one I would not chose the last night. The last night I am more focused on packing and getting back to "the real world" - I doubt my mood would be right to allow me to enjoy the full experience so I'd do the splurge on a different evening - maybe next to last night.

We are getting 4 meal upgrades with our suite on NCL. We only have 2 sea days during our 12 day cruise. And wanted to have reservations during those sea days. We will do the other 2 on other days I suppose. Thanks for your input.

We are getting 4 meal upgrades with our suite on NCL. We only have 2 sea days during our 12 day cruise. And wanted to have reservations during those sea days. We will do the other 2 on other days I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Since it's an included upgrade and you have 4 (we've only done 1 per cruise) my last night attitude might not have as big of a factor. I do agree with sea days for special meals, after that I'd consider what the port days are: do you get back to the ship early one day so you have time to nap and freshen up without feeling rushed, or would you return to the ship exhausted with less than an hour before your appointment? is the next day an early port morning or strenuous activity that you wouldn't want a big meal, or is it a late arrival or even port you'd stay aboard so you can sleep off a heavy night?

I hope I didn't discourage you with my post. We did the Brazilian BBQ and were disappointed mostly because we had been to a really good one on land and didn't consider that they can't cook the meat over a spit on a ship. It was still a pleasant evening, just not a "wow" experience for the extra cost.