Complications from possible overbooking; Explorer of the Seas

FionaJade

Looking for guidance. A customer service rep from Royal Caribbean told me a few weeks ago that I could add someone else to my room when the person who was originally travelling with me had an accident. When it came time to add the new person (via my travel agent) my agent informed me that the cruise was overbooked and the person could not be added because the Coast Guard was "watching". Very frustrating!

Royal Caribbean did not own this overbook status in a phone call today. I am frustrated because the person I was adding already booked her flight. She did get flight insurance but I am afraid without any proof of overbooking that her claim will be denied.

Thank you for in advance.

Looking for guidance. A customer service rep from Royal Caribbean told me a few weeks ago that I could add someone else to my room when the person who was originally travelling with me had an accident. When it came time to add the new person (via my travel agent) my agent informed me that the cruise was overbooked and the person could not be added because the Coast Guard was "watching". Very frustrating!

Royal Caribbean did not own this overbook status in a phone call today. I am frustrated because the person I was adding already booked her flight. She did get flight insurance but I am afraid without any proof of overbooking that her claim will be denied.

Sounds like you need a different travel agent - perhaps one who does millions annually in bookings with that cruise line.

Hi there and welcome. First of all, please relax. This will get sorted out. I suggest re-posting this on the Royal Caribbean board where there is much more traffic and you will get an answer specific to your situation. Here is that link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

1) If someone is not traveling, and you are substituting a person, that can be done at no charge up to 24 hours before sailing. That is not ADDING a person.

2) If you booked a room for 2, and now want to add a 3rd person, that IS controlled by capacity. There are two capacities. Both are related to the lifeboats. One is the total number of passengers on the ship cannot be over X. And if they are at X, then cannot accept any more passengers.

Secondly, there is the "muster station" limit. Which means the area where your room is, has a specific place for the passengers to go in case of emergency, and if needed, loaded into lifeboats. Each station has a capacity, and once that is hit, then they cannot book any more people into those rooms, but there may be other rooms available.

There is also an issue if you booked two people, that the room you are in, only can hold 2 people, so you cannot add another person.

And these capacities are dynamic. You call now, and they can add a person. One hour from now, 100 other people have called, and there is no longer any capacity.

And yes, the Coast Guard does watch this. Or would you prefer to sail on a ship without enough lifeboats for the people?

1) If someone is not traveling, and you are substituting a person, that can be done at no charge up to 24 hours before sailing. That is not ADDING a person.

2) If you booked a room for 2, and now want to add a 3rd person, that IS controlled by capacity. There are two capacities. Both are related to the lifeboats. One is the total number of passengers on the ship cannot be over X. And if they are at X, then cannot accept any more passengers.

Secondly, there is the "muster station" limit. Which means the area where your room is, has a specific place for the passengers to go in case of emergency, and if needed, loaded into lifeboats. Each station has a capacity, and once that is hit, then they cannot book any more people into those rooms, but there may be other rooms available.

There is also an issue if you booked two people, that the room you are in, only can hold 2 people, so you cannot add another person.

And these capacities are dynamic. You call now, and they can add a person. One hour from now, 100 other people have called, and there is no longer any capacity.

And yes, the Coast Guard does watch this. Or would you prefer to sail on a ship without enough lifeboats for the people?

You forgot the third possibility: The original partner who had the accident was cancelled, so the cabin only has one occupant, and in trying to add someone back in, is finding the lifeboat at capacity. EM

Since Royal would only hold any substantial conversation with the TA since the TA "owns" your booking, they aren't beholden to discuss it with you.

The previous post by SRF explained the restrictions rather well. The ship is limited to the total number of people, both pax & crew, which is based on the quantity of lifesaving appliances and the ability of the crew to get everybody off the ship within 30 mins.

This number is not negotiable and frankly it is irrelevant whether the Coast Guard is monitoring the situation or not, as the Captain is definitely monitoring the total compliment aboard before departure. No self-respecting Captain will sail if the ship is overloaded.

With respect to the OP, your TA should continue to work with the cruise line to get the 2nd person in the cabin, if space becomes available. If paying a single supplement, if you can't bring a 2nd person, I would have the TA re-negotiate the fare and additional perks.

Call the cruise line as new passengers and see if there are any available cabins for 2 somewhere else on the ship. Hold the cabin and see if your TA can move you.

You might need to move to a different category.

Call the cruise line twice a day and see if anything opens up. Call your travel agent twice a day and see if anything opens up on the ship. If you are past final payment the travel agent is getting their commision, so with a bad agent you have to keep calling.

I have never done this so I dont know how it would come together, but I would try. I did book a cruise a few weeks out and cganged my cabin a few days out when someone cancelled. I was checking online.

Remember, the cruiseline really does not want to move you to a cabin for 2 in another part of the ship. That sticks them with a cabin for one which is almost impossible to resell, so keep the story quiet while you call for a different cabin. (don't know if it changes how they would treat you, but I am guessing any travel agent would rather get a new guest).

If you dont know how to search, post your ship, sailing day and cabin plus cabin type. There are great people on these boards and someone might just search for you. I know they find the greatest flights.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-T113 using Forums mobile app

You need to understand how ship capacity is determined. Basically, only a total number of souls are allowed based on the ship. This means total number of people and not the total number of cabins or the total number of beds. This is would seem to be simple except that some cabins can take 2, 3 or 4 people depending upon the configuration of the cabin. The cabin will have beds for 2, possibly a pull out couch and/or possibly a pull down bed. Now if a number of cabins that usually have 2 people in them are booked at the 3 or 4 person level, this might mean that once you have cancelled the person who will not be going, the 2nd bed in your cabin can't be booked. Also, babies count as souls even if the baby is in a port-a-crib.

That said, how long is it until your cruise? There are usually last minute cancellations so it is likely that a space will open for your friend. You could go on a wait list. No guarantees on that however.

DON

You forgot the third possibility: The original partner who had the accident was cancelled, so the cabin only has one occupant, and in trying to add someone back in, is finding the lifeboat at capacity. EM

That is sort of a subset of #2, adding another person.

But yes, probably should have made it separate, even if it is the same answer.