Port of Miami questions

JYDAWG

Hi. We are leaving from Port of Miami but will probably fly into FLL the day before because of cheaper airfare. Do you have any recommebdations where to stay that is reasonable, near the beach and perhaps has a shuttle to the cruise port? We normally go out of FLL so I’m not too familiar with how far Miami is and what hotel is the best pre and possibly post cruise. Thanks!:)

Hi. We are leaving from Port of Miami but will probably fly into FLL the day before because of cheaper airfare. Do you have any recommebdations where to stay that is reasonable, near the beach and perhaps has a shuttle to the cruise port? We normally go out of FLL so I’m not too familiar with how far Miami is and what hotel is the best pre and possibly post cruise. Thanks!:)

Blue Moon in South Beach (a Marriott Autograph property). At $250+\- per night, a bargain. Take a taxi to the nearby port.

How much cheaper are the flights? It can be sort of costly getting from Ft. Laud to Miami....although the hotels in Ft. Laud might be cheaper than in Miami....

There are no free shuttles from Ft. Laud to POM.

We will address the issue here although we agree it is best down on the Florida Departure Board. DW and I also prefer flying into FLL, even when we have cruises out of Miami. Why? We simply prefer the hotel options in Ft Lauderdale (we normally stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street) as well as the restaurants. When it becomes time to get to the Port we simply use Uber X which costs $35-$45 for the car. There are also several popular transfer companies you can find online that will pick you up at your Ft Lauderdale hotel and take you to the Port. My problem with the transfer services is that they cost nearly as much as Uber and involve larger vans where you have to wait for loading/unloading and also may have to wait for a couple of pick-up stops and several different drops at the port.

As to free transfers, there are quite a few Ft Lauderdale hotels that have free transfers from the airport (the Embassy Suites does not offer free transfers) but we are not aware of any hotel that offers free transfers from Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami.

I should mention that there is another reason why many cruisers prefer FLL to MIA. FLL has both Southwest and Jetblue.....which are popular airlines with many flyers.

Hank

How much cheaper are the flights? It can be sort of costly getting from Ft. Laud to Miami....although the hotels in Ft. Laud might be cheaper than in Miami....

Hi

The flights can be quite a bit cheaper. I fly in from Detroit, so it would seem that it is cheaper from many locations in the states. As you stated, the hotels are less expensive as well. The shuttle companies that travel between POM and Fort Lauderdale only charge $15 per person each way and it would seem an Uber ride would be quite reasonable as well, for a 45min. ride. Don't forget, even if you fly into MIA you will have to pay for a taxi unless you find a hotel with free shuttles from/to the airport and the port, and they do tend to be expensive.

In fact I would suggest to the OP to stay at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale (something near the airport) and take a shuttle in the morning. They have reliable and efficient for many years now. Flying into Miami is convenient, but it comes as a price. Certainly check out the Florida threads for more information.

Ft Lauderdale airport to the port of Miami is about. 40 minutes if traffic is clear. Always make sure you allow plenty of time as an accident or other mishap can easily add another hour delay to the port.

This thread reminds me of the old saying: "pennywise and pound foolish."

Hi

Then there is the one, " a fool and his money are soon parted".

That's one of the things this website does. It allows people to explain options that are available in their travels. Very often people are looking for ways to save money. Naturally they have to way the pro and cons for themselves and make a decision they can live with.

If you lived your life without ever taking a chance, you may never step out your door.

The funny thing about Flatbush Flyer's post is that we often choose to fly into FLL (even when cruising out of Miami) not so much to save money as we just like our hotel and dining options in Ft Lauderdale. Having lived in South Florida (near Ft Lauderdale)...Miami and Miami Beach are not among my favorite places. That being said, we do enjoy South Beach (part of Miami Beach) and will sometimes spend 2 or 3 nights there pre-cruise. But South Beach is not an area for folks on a budget :).

Hank

How many times do folks have to say that many shuttles from FLL (airport) and many Ft. Laud. hotels to POM cost about $15 per person. If you think that is expensive then you are not living in the 21st century. Although everything with you always seems to be about the money. It's a vacation...you have to spend some money. :rolleyes: