Royal/Regal Forward facing Mini Suite (M107/108) Information

Woobstr112G

Looking for opinions from anyone who has sailed in the two forward Mini Suites on Marina deck. What were your thoughts on the cabins and was there ever a time were you couldn't/weren't allowed to use the forward balcony due to weather (wind) conditions.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Looking for opinions from anyone who has sailed in the two forward Mini Suites on Marina deck. What were your thoughts on the cabins and was there ever a time were you couldn't/weren't allowed to use the forward balcony due to weather (wind) conditions.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2429044

There are other threads as well, I believe

We had the pleasure to sail in M108 on the Royal Princess in May 2016. The Mini-Suite is larger than a normal one and has a separate bedroom with picture window over looking the front of the ship. The balcony is huge to say the least. On Marina Deck the balcony extends over the wing on the bridge allowing for spectacular views toward the rear of the ship. This is not available on Lido deck. I will say that the wind can be a problem depending on the direction of the wind. Finally we were never prohibited from using the balcony. However they do ask you to keep you curtains closed at night if you have lights on as the light interferes with navigation on the bridge.

Bob...

We were upgraded to M105, a Club Class mini, on the Royal's TA last fall. We have never sailed that far forward and didn't want that cabin...Club Class or not...but we had no choice. It turned out to be a fantastic cabin due to very calm seas throughout the cruise. The cabin was unlike normal minis in that it was close to square with a huge front-facing balcony. Wind didn't bother us much at all and there was no howling sound some have reported.

We were very fortunate we had a smooth ride. I can't imagine how bumpy it might be up there with 20 foot waves. We really prefer a cabin aft of midship.

• Like 1

We had the pleasure to sail in M108 on the Royal Princess in May 2016. The Mini-Suite is larger than a normal one and has a separate bedroom with picture window over looking the front of the ship. The balcony is huge to say the least. On Marina Deck the balcony extends over the wing on the bridge allowing for spectacular views toward the rear of the ship. This is not available on Lido deck. I will say that the wind can be a problem depending on the direction of the wind. Finally we were never prohibited from using the balcony. However they do ask you to keep you curtains closed at night if you have lights on as the light interferes with navigation on the bridge.

Thanks for the info.

Bob...

We were upgraded to M105, a Club Class mini, on the Royal's TA last fall. We have never sailed that far forward and didn't want that cabin...Club Class or not...but we had no choice. It turned out to be a fantastic cabin due to very calm seas throughout the cruise. The cabin was unlike normal minis in that it was close to square with a huge front-facing balcony. Wind didn't bother us much at all and there was no howling sound some have reported.

We were very fortunate we had a smooth ride. I can't imagine how bumpy it might be up there with 20 foot waves. We really prefer a cabin aft of midship.

Lew;

Thanks for the info. I'm continuing to work on Holli. I've been making some small inroads. Hopefully I'll wear down her resolve so she'll let me book that first week.....:):):)

Bob

We were in M108 last year on the Royal. The mini suite was great with plenty of room and the separate sleeping area is quite comfortable.

The balcony is terrific with lots of chairs and loungers to enjoy. Despite what you may see on line, there are no locks on these balcony doors and you are never prohibited from going out there.

The balcony is great for entering/leaving a port but when the ship is moving along, it is very, very windy out there, even when the prevailing winds are not blowing. We were in the Caribbean with relatively calm seas when we had this cabin and the only times that we went out there was when in port or departing. It just isn't comfortable otherwise.

We both agreed that we wouldn't pay the extra $$$ to get this suite again -we had it on a cheap upsell. No way would we consider this on a TA.

We spent 25 days in L107 from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen on the Regal this spring by choice. Our first Princess cruise and our stateroom was one of the best things about our cruise. Spacious with lots of windows and walk-around space. No noise from upstairs (fitness area) and for our travel our balcony was huge and faced the views every time. High up views. Accessible 24/7 and a great ride. We had people from full suites visit during the cabin crawl and they envied the layout. My only issue is a room of this caliber should not have a shower curtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We spent 25 days in L107 from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen on the Regal this spring by choice. Our first Princess cruise and our stateroom was one of the best things about our cruise. Spacious with lots of windows and walk-around space. No noise from upstairs (fitness area) and for our travel our balcony was huge and faced the views every time. High up views. Accessible 24/7 and a great ride. We had people from full suites visit during the cabin crawl and they envied the layout. My only issue is a room of this caliber should not have a shower curtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's so good to hear! We've had forward-facing suites on other cruise ships but not the Regal/Royal yet and are looking forward to this mini-suite.

These cabins are very hard to get and sell out very far in advance on most cruises. If people are debating whether to go with these minis or not, these videos may help:

M-108:

L-108:

A couple of years ago we took an upsell to M106 mini suite on the Royal.

The Princess employee who spoke with us when we accepted this cabin emphasized 3 times that we were not to use the balcony while the ship was at sea.

Actually, we were able to enjoy being on the balcony at any time if we just sat near the glass door--and not the railing.

This cabin was just one room--no separate bedroom. We did enjoy being at the railing as we approached port.

This has been our only minisuite--not sure if we would pay "retail" for it. But the upsell was a decent price and we did enjoy the little extra space and the huge balcony.

A couple of years ago we took an upsell to M106 mini suite on the Royal.

The Princess employee who spoke with us when we accepted this cabin emphasized 3 times that we were not to use the balcony while the ship was at sea.

Actually, we were able to enjoy being on the balcony at any time if we just sat near the glass door--and not the railing.

This cabin was just one room--no separate bedroom. We did enjoy being at the railing as we approached port.

This has been our only minisuite--not sure if we would pay "retail" for it. But the upsell was a decent price and we did enjoy the little extra space and the huge balcony.

Those ones are not the same - they're the ones that are in the middle section but still have really nice big balconies (just not quite as big as L-107, 108, M-107, 108). ;)

We were in M108 last year on the Royal. The mini suite was great with plenty of room and the separate sleeping area is quite comfortable.

The balcony is terrific with lots of chairs and loungers to enjoy. Despite what you may see on line, there are no locks on these balcony doors and you are never prohibited from going out there.

The balcony is great for entering/leaving a port but when the ship is moving along, it is very, very windy out there, even when the prevailing winds are not blowing. We were in the Caribbean with relatively calm seas when we had this cabin and the only times that we went out there was when in port or departing. It just isn't comfortable otherwise.

We both agreed that we wouldn't pay the extra $$$ to get this suite again -we had it on a cheap upsell. No way would we consider this on a TA.

We have one of the two aft OS suites for the 21 Day T/A (Sky Princess). Trying .to convince DW to let me book the first 7day r/t Rome itinerary to make it a 28 day voyage. Thought this cabin would be cool to have for a week.....:):):)

Bob

Hey Bob!

Hope you are well.

My wife and I had one of these on our 10 day Caribbean in April 2017 on the Royal. We would never book one again. The wind while cruising made them all but unusable. In port you had to stand to view anything. If you like watching the ocean, as we do, do not chose one of these. I am sure statistically the cabins are bigger than a traditional mini suite but we felt cramped and just didn't like the layout. Maybe we are creatures of habit but much prefer the traditional mini suite layout. This just my personal opinion so take with a grain of salt.

Joe

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:12 AM, Clampram said:

We will be on the Regal in M108 next month. Do you recall if the bedroom area had a power outlet? Assuming they are twin ships. Thank you!

2 hours ago, mccampbell3 said:

We will be on the Regal in M108 next month. Do you recall if the bedroom area had a power outlet? Assuming they are twin ships. Thank you!

M108 has a extra open elec plug behind the TV in the bedroom.  I put a strip to allow me to plug in all phones and tablets.  works great.  WIFI reception was strong.  Door to balcony was always open.  Best cabin along with M107 on the Royal Class ships.

framer

Had L108 on a 26 transatlantic in 2014 (Royal). Loved the configuration but a word of caution - when it' windy and the ship sailing at full speed, the entire cabin vibrated (not a "good" vibration). It keep me up as the bed vibrated so violently, I thought it was one of those old coin-operated numbers. I called management and they relayed my concern to the captain. He, somehow, tweaked the steering somehow and the vibration lessened. When we arrived in Europe and no longer at full speed (and no winds), there was no vibration and life was good. Just an fyi if you're going across the Atlantic.

On 7/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, Clampram said:

We were in M108 last year on the Royal.

Despite what you may see on line, there are no locks on these balcony doors and you are never prohibited from going out there.

Surprised to hear that. When we have been in regular balcony cabins there has always been a lock on the door to the balcony. As I remember it, the key operated lock is near the very bottom of the door. Of course passengers do not get the key.

12 hours ago, mccampbell3 said:

There is a European outlet under the bed on the far side.

We have spent 100 days or more in M108/107including a TA.  We really like the cabin but also can relate to the criticisms.

It is true that at sea many times the balcony can be almost unusable because of the wind. However once in awhile you will find no wind on the balcony, thats when they ship has a tail wind. In the caribbean thats usually on the way back to home port. 

Also the metal below the railings does restrict your ideal views sometimes when setting.  We bring 7" risers for the chairs. 

We really enjoy the balcony when coming into and out of port. Its nice to have a 270 degree view from the balcony. The two room cabin layout works well for us. 

If bigger is better then M107 has a bigger balcony.  M107 has some deck space to the right of the sliding glass door that M108 does not have. It's maybe 3' by 6' and is not normally used but it does create a nice buffer from the next door neighbor.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Surprised to hear that. When we have been in regular balcony cabins there has always been a lock on the door to the balcony. As I remember it, the key operated lock is near the very bottom of the door. Of course passengers do not get the key.

We were upgraded to M105 on last fall's Royal TA and were expecting the slider to be locked at times, but it never was.  

On 11/11/2018 at 6:51 PM, framer said:

M108 has a extra open elec plug behind the TV in the bedroom.  I put a strip to allow me to plug in all phones and tablets.  works great.  WIFI reception was strong.  Door to balcony was always open.  Best cabin along with M107 on the Royal Class ships.

framer

Thank you for the reply! It was a huge help😎

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched from L105 to L107 for 2020 British Isles cruise.  Thanks to everyone who posted on this topic, it helps to hear of prior experiences when choosing a cabin.  The Club Class is not that important to me but having a little extra space with a different layout (separated area for the bed) made the decision for me.   Happy cruising!  🙂  

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, Todd320 said:

Also the metal below the railings does restrict your ideal views sometimes when setting.  We bring 7" risers for the chairs. 

What do you mean by this?  Where do you get the risers? We will be in M107 for 15 days in 2020 on the Sky and this sounds like something we would also like to have.

• 1 month later...

Oh I sure would like to hear the answer to this also

On 11/27/2018 at 1:16 PM, Gracie115 said:

What do you mean by this?  Where do you get the risers? We will be in M107 for 15 days in 2020 on the Sky and this sounds like something we would also like to have.

Oh I so would like to hear the answer to this also....what kind of rises and size did you get??