Upgrade question...

Maybe a moot question, but we had booked cabin 14590 on Allure for September 9. They called us with an upgrade offer for a JS in 6240, telling us all about the "perks" included. We took it (for $400), but found out later that what they had offered included amenities for the Sky and Star suites, not the Sea (lowest) suite class. Kind of annoys me that what we were told is not actually true, but probably not worth it to try and change now. Would have rather had a higher deck, that we originally booked, but wonder - did we make a mistake, given the wrong information? Thanks for any opinions.

Regardless...I think you'll enjoy the JS and the upgrade price you paid for it isn't bad at all. You did well and will realize that once you open that cabin door. You have a much better location and cabin now...just my personal opinion.....Enjoy !!!!

I've stayed in 6240 on Oasis, so same JS. This was also on an 'upsell/upgrade' offer. Like you, I'd been on a higher deck, but since it was me and two friends, we knew we'd love the extra space. We ended up loving the location for the convenience factor to the boardwalk, central park, etc. Oh, and I did get the double points. It was 2014 so maybe that makes a difference, but it was a nice surprise.

You’ll get dinner in CK which is worth it alone.

No double points though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why, because it was an upsell? If they are paying up to a JS shouldn't they get the points?

Why, because it was an upsell? If they are paying up to a JS shouldn't they get the points?

No extra points for a reduced price upgrade. Only if upgrading by paying the published web price.

Maybe a moot question, but we had booked cabin 14590 on Allure for September 9. They called us with an upgrade offer for a JS in 6240, telling us all about the "perks" included. We took it (for $400), but found out later that what they had offered included amenities for the Sky and Star suites, not the Sea (lowest) suite class. Kind of annoys me that what we were told is not actually true, but probably not worth it to try and change now. Would have rather had a higher deck, that we originally booked, but wonder - did we make a mistake, given the wrong information? Thanks for any opinions.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Many of us have learned to do our own due diligence, rather than relying on a CSR on the phone from RC.

I also think $400.00 is not a bad deal on a J3 or J4 on Oasis class. have JS on Oasis on next three on 8th and have stayed on three or four other decks and think the size, WALK IN CLOSET,balcony & large bath and tub shower are worth it. I usually do coastal for Filet night but usually don't go for the others as not that find of menu. Your balcony is full size. Some are off hump and have wide but not deep balconies. Enjoy but you will not want to go back to standard. Bob

I still honestly think the problem is a Royal rep calling a guest, offering them an upsell and then telling them perks they will receive that are invalid for the cabin they are then offering. That in itself is wrong and I would call Royal out on it. Usually those calls are recorded for quality control purposes anyway.

Honestly I think I would prefer the higher decks, I am on deck 12 on the Allure in October, guess I will see how I like it. It really depends on what areas are closer to what you would like to get to I guess. If you like the pools, buffet and outdoor decks you will probably want a higher cabin.

I was upsold yesterday from an Ocean Balcony to a Junior Suite. The agent I spoke with at Royal was very clear and precise in explaining what benefits we would receive and which ones we would not in comparison to Sky/Star level suites.

I happily took the upgrade because the larger bathroom and balcony were what I really wanted, and viewed the additional perks as lagniappe.

Sorry to hear they weren't clear with OP on their upsell, but sometimes the RC agents do get it right. Just wanted to share that perspective.

No extra points for a reduced price upgrade. Only if upgrading by paying the published web price.

Untrue. No extra points for FREE upgrade, but as long as you pay SOME amount of upgrade cost, you’ll receive the extra point suite perk.

Bob you are wrong, any “paid” upgrade is entitled to double points even if it’s $1.

Please see #14 in the small print....

https://dlxffu6hwewxp.cloudfront.net/cas/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CAS_Member_Benefits_Grid_11.6.17-1.pdf

" Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category including reduced rate upgrades."

Please see #14 in the small print....

https://dlxffu6hwewxp.cloudfront.net/cas/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CAS_Member_Benefits_Grid_11.6.17-1.pdf

" Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category including reduced rate upgrades."

I see it, but I also see documents published by Royal that mention an "honor bar" in the concierge lounge.

Bob you are wrong, any “paid” upgrade is entitled to double points even if it’s $1.

To back up what Bob is saying; The RC agent I spoke with that upsold my booking to a Jr. Suite on 8/1 said that I would not be receiving double points because I upgraded at a reduced offer rate.