Talk to me about the S-Class ships!

PiratessLooksAt40

We've been on the Summit 2x now to Bermuda. We love the size of the ship and are completely intimidated by the mega ships. I found a sailing on the Equinox during our April Vacation week that I think we'd enjoy.

Talk to me about the differences between M & S classes. It seems like a much bigger ship with not much more passenger capacity. Bonus is more connecting staterooms so we can have 2 bathrooms!

What we love about the Summit: Aft Family Veranda, pool deck with lots of shade, fewer people and crowds, laid back atmosphere without all the commotion of slides/mini golf/wave rider/etc, great kids club for our 2 autistic kids, fantastic service. We found the ship easy to navigate and even when we were up running the kids here and there, the size is manageable. We don't do the specialty restaurants, save for some sushi, and enjoy a more laid back dinner in the buffet with the kids. We did the MDR on the first and chic nights.

We were nervous about the same thing prior to our first sailing on an S-class. We needn't have worried, nor should you. Although there is a larger passenger load it seems less crowded since the space is well utilized. We were worried that we'd feel like part of a herd, but did not at all experience that. The public spaces are great and the OVC is laid out is a much more easy to navigate manner, islands rather than straight line. The regular verandah cabins are the same size as the concierge and aqua class. There are real shower doors rather than the pesky curtains. There is much more storage in the bathrooms, but less drawer space in the cabin itself. There's over the bed tilt out cabinets. We bought 8 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 11" foldable cubes at the Dollar store. They fold flat in your suitcase and we put them in the over the bed cabinets 4 per side. It organizes the space and makes it very usable. There is also no pull across clothesline in the shower. We bring 4 heavy duty magnetic hooks and some twine that we put in the shower and it works even better. The nightstands have open shelving rather than the drawers that M-class has. There is also no cabinets at the desk, just a single small drawer. The whole ship is much brighter and open feeling. There are plenty of shaded areas near the pool on the sides. There is Murano which was removed from the M-class ships, which to us is a plus, but with young children whose patience may be shorter, that may be too long a dinner. All in all, I'd say try it, you need not worry.

Well you won’t find any golf, flow riders, etc on the S class ships. They are Celebrity so things like menus, crew friendliness, dress code. service will be the same.

The decor will be different. MClass more dark wood a traditional feel. Sclass ships are more contemporary, shiny & brighter.

More people on S but we have never felt crowded (well maybe at the Martini Bar but that’s the case on MClass also). The buffet layout on the Sclass ships is much better, there are stations vs the long lines and you can go from side to side without walking all the way around.

We like both classes.

We also were nervous about trying the S class since we love the M so much, so we only booked a 3-nighter last year, and it was great. Some things we missed were a dedicated dance floor space (the Mclass Rendezvous lounge), but they made up for it with people dancing in the foyer (yes, right in front of guest relations) - sounds weird but it worked.

We missed having 3 sets of stairs/elevators (S class just has 2) but if you plan and don't overshoot your route it's fine.

What we missed most was our huge aft balconies in both Concierge and Aqua, thought we wouldn't survive a small side balcony, but we did.

And have an 8 day booked in October on the Equinox.

It's still Celebrity, and the ships have that same smaller feel - even though bigger, they don't seem that way.

Oh yes, we also preferred the buffet set-up on the S class - smaller stations, so you aren't stuck behind slow pokes in line.

And... There is a REAL grass area that you can picnic on, play on, etc...

Also, don't miss the glass blowing on EQ. While no longer a "show" you can watch people making their own pieces (or even make one yourself $$)

Steve

Thank you all for your replies! I am so spoiled by that aft family veranda. A simple side veranda seems pointless even though we’ve cruised with them before Celebrity. I’m interested in the Family veranda on the S-class. But also love how many connected cabins there are! Does anyone know if the dividers open?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know the AQ balcony dividers on the side on Deck 11 open, because we had an extended family next to us who had it open for a larger veranda and easy back and forth. But having all those people on one veranda made for some very interesting loud unintentional eavesdropping opportunities about all their family issues. :o

But also love how many connected cabins there are! Does anyone know if the dividers open?

Hello,

Yes, a partition of the balcony dividers can be opened. Also, if you haven't seen information on the connecting cabins on the Equinox before...just be advised that the cabins do not connect via a door inside the cabins themselves (like those seen on most ships/hotel rooms etc). Rather there is an outside vestibule area, with outer doors that can be closed off, allowing the 2 cabin doors to be propped open, thereby allowing passage from one cabin to the other. Hope this makes sense...If you are not familiar with the layout, there are many photos posted showing the configuration on various threads on here.

Enjoy...The S Class ships are some of our favorite ships !!

BBL

Hello,

Yes, a partition of the balcony dividers can be opened. Also, if you haven't seen information on the connecting cabins on the Equinox before...just be advised that the cabins do not connect via a door inside the cabins themselves (like those seen on most ships/hotel rooms etc). Rather there is an outside vestibule area, with outer doors that can be closed off, allowing the 2 cabin doors to be propped open, thereby allowing passage from one cabin to the other. Hope this makes sense...If you are not familiar with the layout, there are many photos posted showing the configuration on various threads on here.

Enjoy...The S Class ships are some of our favorite ships !!

BBL

Thank you. I had heard that before but forgotten until now. We have stayed at a ski resort with the same set up so that makes 100% sense to me.

We have been on both M-class ships (Constellation and Millenium) and S-Class ships (Reflection, Silhouette, Equinox).

M class ships have connecting cabins in the middle of cabin

S class ships have connecting cabins with vestibule in hallway

S class ships - you can open balconies (both Equinox and Silhouette we have sailed with 3 balcony cabins in a row - with parents/children/grandparents and everyone enjoys the going back and forth on the balconies. Haven't tried on M-Class, so don't know

Agree about the comments of the Oceanview buffet organization on the S class is more compact, better organized and has a larger variety.

Upside for M class is poached egg station is toward aft and many people don't get that far, so less of line than on the S class ships).

Appreciate the fewer number of decks on M-class ships when taking steps up to Oceanview cafe.

Like the bathroom setup and space better on the S class ships. Like the cabin storage better on the M-class ships.

S class ships have become a Sun Bed Hoggers paradise. You'll need to get up early on a sea day to reserve your bed otherwise you won't get one. There are so many inconsiderate passengers these days that you need to build this into your decision.

S class ships have become a Sun Bed Hoggers paradise. You'll need to get up early on a sea day to reserve your bed otherwise you won't get one. There are so many inconsiderate passengers these days that you need to build this into your decision.

I think this is nonsense. There is no discernable difference between classes in chair hogs. It depends more on the itinerary and passenger demographic of a particular cruise. We've had more problems on some of our M-class cruises finding chaises, but it was more a function of the passengers on those cruises than the ship configuration.

I think this is nonsense. There is no discernable difference between classes in chair hogs. It depends more on the itinerary and passenger demographic of a particular cruise. We've had more problems on some of our M-class cruises finding chaises, but it was more a function of the passengers on those cruises than the ship configuration.

Are you attempting to say that Chair hogger aren't prolific on S class ship. Because they are - read the reviews and last time we were on Silhouette in December, it was a disgrace and management refused to do anything to curb the inconsiderate people. It happened again on Eclipse in March. Don't hide the fact that it has become the norm on Celebrity S class ships.

It has a lot to do with the ship's configuration - too many people and not enough space.

Are you attempting to say that Chair hogger aren't prolific on S class ship. Because they are - read the reviews and last time we were on Silhouette in December, it was a disgrace and management refused to do anything to curb the inconsiderate people. It happened again on Eclipse in March. Don't hide the fact that it has become the norm on Celebrity S class ships.

It has a lot to do with the ship's configuration - too many people and not enough space.

I'm not attempting to say anything. I'm saying it depends on the passengers on a given cruise more than the ship in my experience. I'm also not hiding anything, but just relating my experience. Our last cruise was on Reflection, X's largest ship. We saw much less chair hogging there than we've seen on Infinity, Summit or Constellation. From my experience chogs exist on every ship, cruiseline and land based resort I've ever visited.

We are on Silhouette this November and December and do expect that sun bed will be at a premium, last time many people were taking sun and shade beds and to hell with everyone else. It is becoming the norm as you rightly stated too many people for limited space. It will be getting worse after their refit as deck 18 will be closed to all but suite class so it will be our last Celebrity cruise - MSC Yacht club is more attractive and cheaper and at least you will get a sun bed.

We have been on both M-class ships (Constellation and Millenium) and S-Class ships (Reflection, Silhouette, Equinox).

M class ships have connecting cabins in the middle of cabin

S class ships have connecting cabins with vestibule in hallway

S-Class ships have connecting cabins with vestibule in hallway with the exception of Reflection which connects inside the stateroom across from the bathroom door.

We are two people currently booked on Solstice in a non connecting cabin. We are considering changing to a connecting cabin due to location and are wondering if there is any disadvantage as there is on M class ships?

We are two people currently booked on Solstice in a non connecting cabin. We are considering changing to a connecting cabin due to location and are wondering if there is any disadvantage as there is on M class ships?

No disadvantage. EM

The only difference between connecting and non connecting cabin on Solstice is the opening of the stateroom door. For connecting cabins, the stateroom door opens into the stateroom whereas non connecting cabins, the stateroom door opens out into the little alcove.

I would go for the location as connecting/non connecting cabins make little to no difference at all.

The only difference between connecting and non connecting cabin on Solstice is the opening of the stateroom door. For connecting cabins, the stateroom door opens into the stateroom whereas non connecting cabins, the stateroom door opens out into the little alcove.

I would go for the location as connecting/non connecting cabins make little to no difference at all.

Wine-O is correct, on the Solstice the connecting cabins are totally different than what you would see in hotels or other cruise ships. It is not the usual door in the middle of the room that opens into the room next door. The connecting cabin is made by opening the outside hallway door with the adjacent cabin making a sort of vestibule allowing you to go between the rooms easily. As Wine-O stated when you are not using the connecting room, it makes no difference.