Suite walls on Explorer and Mariner

Brownie54

We have 3 upcoming cruises on Explorer and Mariner and are wondering whether we can use magnets on the walls in the suites on these ships. Our 2 most recent cruises were on the Navigator, where we could use magnets.

Brownie54, we were on Navigator last March and discovered that the walls around the desk and seating area of the suite were no longer magnetic - I think an additional layer of wall covering has been added in the redecoration. The only place I could find to "pin" a reminder was on the wall opposite the bed... Maybe the other ships have had that additional wall covering too?

More than likely all of the walls on all of the ships are steel and thus magnetic. Depending on the coverings on the walls and the strength of the magnets the magnets may or may not work. Was able to get some much stronger magnets last year and they worked great on our last cruise but, less expensive and less magnetic magnets didn't work on the same walls.

Ships are made of steel which is magnetic so the best solution is to find strong magnets that should work on all ships. Google rare earth magnets which are very strong. Using magnets on clips or inexpensive ones likely won't work but, stronger and thus more expensive magnets should work on all ships walls.

Gilly is correct - the only walls on the Navigator which are still magnetic are across from the bed - in a standard suite. The rest are have wall coverings which limit the possibility. I'm sure RallyDave is correct but the "old" magnets work on the uncovered walls.

On the Explorer, I couldn't find a wall to use magnets in several different suites - again, the fault of the wall covering.

Peggy

More than likely all of the walls on all of the ships are steel and thus magnetic. Depending on the coverings on the walls and the strength of the magnets the magnets may or may not work. Was able to get some much stronger magnets last year and they worked great on our last cruise but, less expensive and less magnetic magnets didn't work on the same walls.

Ships are made of steel which is magnetic so the best solution is to find strong magnets that should work on all ships. Google rare earth magnets which are very strong. Using magnets on clips or inexpensive ones likely won't work but, stronger and thus more expensive magnets should work on all ships walls.

Assume that you were not on the Explorer last year since magnets (strong or not) simply do not work. The wall covering is very thick!

Thanks to those of you that mentioned the Navigator and the new wall coverings. Must assume that the other ships are the same since they are all refurbished. Obviously, the front door is still magnetic and perhaps the bathroom door.

Someone on another board suggested using 3M Command hooks on the walls since they are easy to remove and do not damage the walls.

• 5 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 6:23 PM, rallydave said:

Dave, if you remember, what type of magnets did you buy that worked on the refurb'ed ships?  Your average fridge magnet perhaps, that kind of thing?

4 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Dave, if you remember, what type of magnets did you buy that worked on the refurb'ed ships?  Your average fridge magnet perhaps, that kind of thing?

Would not recommend fridge magnets or anything you might buy at a stationary store like staples, office depot , etc.  (don't know what you have in Canada but, you have the ones I mentioned in Florida) and they stick fine but, don't have the power to go thru the wall coverings on the ships.

Got the magnets that work at a company called Electronic Parts Outlet, local place so won't help you but, gives you the idea of the type of place that might have the good magnets.  I tested them by feeling the strength between them in the store.  Recently went to the same store and bought some really small magnets called "RARE EARTH MAGNETS"  These had the weight they would hold on the package.  About the size of a hearing aid battery and holds about 5 pounds each.  Was warned to keep them away from my credit cards as they will invalidate the strip on the card.

Have seen reports of magnets at Amazon and just looked and quite a few different types and grades including rare earth.  The higher the grade the stronger and you just have to surf Amazon and decide what works for you.  We just use round magnets and don't try to hang clothing on them as too many variables.

Hope this all helps.

Be very careful with ultra strong magnets as they will very easily disable your room key card. Very inconvenient.

On our recent Regent cruises we simply used ordinary fridge magnets on the bathroom door.

Although most of the walls of all Regent ships now have a lining/covering, which makes magnets ineffective, the doors are still OK.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:17 PM, bissel said:

Magnets work in 911 Explorer. At least they worked very well next to the desk.

Very interesting.  We did not try all areas of our suites on Explorer.  I would use a Command Strip rather than a strong magnet in my suite.  

Just now, Hambagahle said:

Doesn't sticking things onto walls and especially doors make things hard for the stewards ??   seems a bit odd to me.  But then I don't use fridge magnets either...

The Command Strips come off easily and do not leave marks (I don't use them on a ship but if I did I would remove them at the end of the cruise).  They come in various sizes and hold different amounts of weight.  It sounds as if people are looking for more hanging space for clothing.  On the other hand, for those of us that have sailed on Explorer, there is plenty of space and hooks will not be necessary (you'll see when we board Splendor in 14 months:classic_smile:)  

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The Command Strips come off easily and do not leave marks (I don't use them on a ship but if I did I would remove them at the end of the cruise).  They come in various sizes and hold different amounts of weight.  It sounds as if people are looking for more hanging space for clothing.  On the other hand, for those of us that have sailed on Explorer, there is plenty of space and hooks will not be necessary (you'll see when we board Splendor in 14 months:classic_smile:)  

It never occured to me that one might use this sort of thing for clothes.   Interesting!!  And bizarre!  Clothes belong in wardrobes or in drawers - at least around here they do!!  Maybe the hooks are for washing?   Or notes, like "Post its".  

Edited by Hambagahle

Thanks Dave for the info.  I had thought that my fridge magnets were pretty powerful, but I'll find out.

As for the use of these things, I was mostly just thinking about perhaps a picture  or list or two, or a map.  Perhaps a calendar with our monthly agenda,  just held up with a magnet. We're talking four months here, so organization would be important. 

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

It never occured to me that one might use this sort of thing for clothes.   Interesting!!  And bizarre!  Clothes belong in wardrobes or in drawers - at least around here they do!!  Maybe the hooks are for washing?   Or notes, like "Post its".  

They are more for clothing on hangers.  Here is a link to the Amazon website where it shows the different types of hangers/strips https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+command+hooks&sprefix=3M+Comm%2Caps%2C211&crid=SP5Z2MFQAI4E .

In terms of magnets, keep in mind that Regent's new wall coverings are very thick (likely thicker than on most other cruise lines).  

Wow Jackie those are some hooks!   We use a very small removeable plastic hook to hang Christmas decorations on our front door...but that's the only kind I have seen here.   The stainless steel ones look lovely.  So now I know what is under discussion!!

If the wall coverings are fabric, would the Command fasteners work?  I'm not sure they would, myself.  I've used them many times for hanging pictures and stringing wires and then need a flat, smooth surface.  I'd be afraid to try them on wallpaper and/or fabric.

That being said, those metal ones do look great and would be useful for hanging a baseball cap or a scarf.

Not 100% certain but the walls (at least on the Explorer) feel like a heavy vinyl.  If I were going to use the Command strips/hooks, I'd likely use them on a door (perhaps the bathroom door on the inside) but do think that they would be okay on vinyl walls.

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I would worry that on vinyl or wallpaper or whatever the strip might not come off.  Metal, tile or wood - no problem.

Good point!  If taken off correctly, they do not stick to the surface they are attached to at all.  If not taken off correctly, there would be damage (unfortunately I know as I removed one in my closet incorrectly).

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I would worry that on vinyl or wallpaper or whatever the strip might not come off.  Metal, tile or wood - no problem.

They're pretty good--it is a crazy good technology that leaves no trace, on the right material (smooth).  We tried using them here in Florida on the painted walls, to hang pictures, ha ha, and because of the dampness I guess, they actually pulled off pieces of the drywall!  Not useful here, except on doors.  But in a drier climate we use them everywhere.