Ensure any Compensation credit is refunded

In your case I´m pretty sure it´s not a loss but a huge gain for RCI if you quit making business with them. It´s not always a bad thing to lose a customer, it can be a godsend for every business.

Yup, addition by subtraction.

I'm a little curious, also, about how OP's advice to ensure that compensation is refunded works. Because it boils down to 'ensure that something that NEVER happens, happens'.

Yes but both clients did not travel. The legality is shared compensation for 2 people, and in this case only one got any benefit. This is a typical example of why cruise lines should have to fall in line with other industries, and make refunds not offer credits.

I have no problem at all with your other comment, and as RCI claim not to refund anything when cancellation is so close then why would they refund anything? If they do then I would be first to let insurers know, but would want to know why.

With regards to 'my portion of the compensation', we are actually talking about £325. So in essence this is not about money, but about the principle of how they operate.

Only one got benefit, because the other did not travel, if you had traveled you would have gotten the benefit. Such benefits are not covered by insurance because they are not an out of pocket expense.

Bottom line the cruise line gave a benefit to be applied against a future cruise, you chose the cruise and applied the benefit. Not their fault you did not participate in that cruise.

(In UK) You pay the taxes regardless of which services you do or do not use. So there is no charge for this service.

Stop nitpicking.

Not nickpicking. Just pointing out fact that taxes in UK are a lot higher than we pay in US which covers the "free" services.

Yes but both clients did not travel. The legality is shared compensation for 2 people, and in this case only one got any benefit. This is a typical example of why cruise lines should have to fall in line with other industries, and make refunds not offer credits.

I have no problem at all with your other comment, and as RCI claim not to refund anything when cancellation is so close then why would they refund anything? If they do then I would be first to let insurers know, but would want to know why.

With regards to 'my portion of the compensation', we are actually talking about £325. So in essence this is not about money, but about the principle of how they operate.

Maybe that's why cruise lines title/license their ships in other countries so they don't have to put up with the litigious ways of the U.S.

:rolleyes: The amount you are looking to collect in cash was a GIFT from the cruise line as GOOD WILL due to some inconvenience you experienced on a past cruise. Like coupons say: There is no cash value. And you chose, for whatever reason, to NOT go on the cruise. There is nothing the cruise line owes you. You opted to NOT use the credit GIFTED to you.

The only reason I can think that they are not reissuing the FCC is because cancellation was too close to sail date. Write to corporate and forget about 50% off the rant and threats, simply ask for a reissuance of the FCC. That may be possible. But forget getting an actual refund. Notgonnahappen.com

As for your separate insurance claim, you did not meet the threshold needed to be compensated. Insurance companies simply can not “take someone’s word”. That’s nothing against you personally, but look how rampant fraudulent claims are, I can’t blame insurance for not compensating, I think you are well aware you did not meet the requirements for a claim. If I was ill enough to skip a vacation my first stop would be a doctor. Why do you think you are owed an exception?

(In UK) You pay the taxes regardless of which services you do or do not use. So there is no charge for this service.

Stop nitpicking.

Why does that bother you? Others are accusing the OP of lying and you let those go? Well all righty then. They are paying for every service rendered, via taxes. It's a fact that taxes pay for it whether you use it or not. Nothing is free.

I pay a lot of taxes in the US for plenty of things I never use. Welfare for example.

Why does that bother you? Others are accusing the OP of lying and you let those go? Well all righty then. They are paying for every service rendered, via taxes. It's a fact that taxes pay for it whether you use it or not. Nothing is free.

I pay a lot of taxes in the US for plenty of things I never use. Welfare for example.

Wouldn't have been a thang if the Brit hadn't made it a thang.

Sheesh, guys. I just thought that it was odd that the OP's issue (or non-issue if you ask me) was about the application of an FCC, but you went with the "free" vs "no, you paid for it" aspect of the health care system. (just like people do here on CC all the time in referring to "what beverages are free" etc etc etc)

Actually that is not why they flag their ships under foreign flags.

You are free to sue U.S. based cruise lines in the United States, however they insist that you sue them in the state that their headquarters are located. In the case, of Royal Caribbean and Carnival that would be Florida.

One of the main reasons they flag their ships in foreign countries is not have to follow US mininum wage laws.

Maybe that's why cruise lines title/license their ships in other countries so they don't have to put up with the litigious ways of the U.S.

:rolleyes: The amount you are looking to collect in cash was a GIFT from the cruise line as GOOD WILL due to some inconvenience you experienced on a past cruise. Like coupons say: There is no cash value. And you chose, for whatever reason, to NOT go on the cruise. There is nothing the cruise line owes you. You opted to NOT use the credit GIFTED to you.

We have been in this position a couple of times. However there were a couple of points that determined a favorable outcome.

1. We cancelled a cruise for the two of us inadvance when we knew we were unable to travel. We got a doctors letter to back it up for insurance claim and refund AND for number 2.

2. We pleaded our case to Royal and got the time limit onthe 2 FFC extended twice! They wanted a doctors note and since we had seen the doctor we had it ready to send to RCI.

We never would have applied for a refund of the FCC in cash! It was, after all a Future Cruise CREDIT!

Karma is a real thing-we have been cruising with RCI for more than a decade, and unless something untowardly occurs, will continue to do so in the future.

The OP not cruising any more with RCI will not affect them in the slightest-just look ar thier stock prices and the increasesin thier cruise fares. Doesn’t look like they are hurting.

Happy cruising on RCI or the cruiseline of your choice!!

:cool:

Oh, and the FCC was used to reduce the cruise price not to use as OBC-FYI

If I understand this correctly you were given OBC from some type of complaint during a previous cruise. If so this was probably not legally or contractuaraly required. It was a good faith effort to appease you.

Yes, this! OP keeps talking about how RCI accepted liability and this should have been a refund. No, it’s a gesture to encourage you to return. They don’t have to give you anything.

Sounds like OP might be better off cruising with another line as RCI is apparently unable to meet his needs.

Yes, this! OP keeps talking about how RCI accepted liability and this should have been a refund. No, it’s a gesture to encourage you to return. They don’t have to give you anything.

Sounds like OP might be better off cruising with another line as RCI is apparently unable to meet his needs.

And Royal Caribbean has said this to a few cruisers, here and there. ;)

Sheesh, guys. I just thought that it was odd that the OP's issue (or non-issue if you ask me) was about the application of an FCC, but you went with the "free" vs "no, you paid for it" aspect of the health care system. (just like people do here on CC all the time in referring to "what beverages are free" etc etc etc)

We were responding to a different poster than the OP who brought up the whole "we don't pay for it" thing. We just responded to the off topic poster. That's all.

FCC is good for one cruise. Once used it is gone. If you cancel you lose it.

OP has been told that by several of us, but apparently he doesn't think that rule applies to him. :D

OP has been told that by several of us, but apparently he doesn't think that rule applies to him. :D

See my post above. Exceptions can be made, but they are not guaranteed!

Takes good faith efforts on both sides😎

Shall I let you into a little secret. Not everyone who lives in the UK is British ;) LoL

Oh yes my UK friends have made that very clear to me!! Also, never call someone from the Southern US a Yankee as they may rip your head off!

No, actually it was the Brit that went there.