Port or starboard in the Caribbean

grandpa cruiser

Makes zero difference. Views in port are inconsequential and there is no way to predict at the time of cabin selection what berth the ship will have. And while in motion, it is more or less south one way and north the other so for half the cruise you will have sunrises and for half the cruise you will have sunsets no matter which side you pick.

Makes zero difference. Views in port are inconsequential and there is no way to predict at the time of cabin selection what berth the ship will have. And while in motion, it is more or less south one way and north the other so for half the cruise you will have sunrises and for half the cruise you will have sunsets no matter which side you pick.

Thank you. I read posts like OP's and just chuckle. People really don't understand that they don't know which direction the ship will dock or tender, that in some ports their view will be an industrial complex, etc. There are very few ports where the side of the ship you are on matters, and for those that it does, you can go to a public deck to watch as the ship comes into the harbor (like in Venice!)

Since the ship generally makes a circle, the sun/sunset issue rarely matters--you'll have it half of the cruise. Most people don't spend their port time sitting on their balcony marveling at the view.

The configuration of the port (piers out in the water or piers parallel to the land), the harbor master and the captain determine which side of the ship will be tied to the pier. Also as pointed out most cruises go out and return the same way meaning one way the port cabins will face the evening sun and the other way the starboard cabins will get the sun. Personally we have come to reserve cabins on the port side which makes it easy when returning to our cabin from the lifts or stairs.

All of that having been said, and it is all correct, we usually are on starboard side and have commented that we face away from the view, whatever it is, more often than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certain ports like St. Maarten and St. Thomas are in harbors, with both dockside views and harbor views. Other ports are piers that jut out and the ship may berth on either side. Aurba is a pull through dock and normally the port side faces land with the starboard side facing the sea. Views of the sea are just as nice as views of busy docks. Bottom line, no difference.

I've found that Murphy's Law prevails. No matter which side I book a cabin, the ship docks on the other side. In the long run, it doesn't matter unless you plan to spend all of your time in your cabin or on your balcony.

Thank you. I read posts like OP's and just chuckle. People really don't understand that they don't know which direction the ship will dock or tender' date=' that in some ports their view will be an industrial complex, etc. There are very few ports where the side of the ship you are on matters, and for those that it does, you can go to a public deck to watch as the ship comes into the harbor (like in Venice!)

Since the ship generally makes a circle, the sun/sunset issue rarely matters--you'll have it half of the cruise. Most people don't spend their port time sitting on their balcony marveling at the view.[/quote']

People ask questions lilke that because they don't know. That's what you do when you don't know, you ask. Why laugh at someone who is trying to learn something? Personally, I'd prefer to ask a question of people who have more knowledge about a subject than to not ask and be told "Gee, why didn't you ask someone before you cruised so you'd know before you went?"

Tom

I've found that Murphy's Law prevails. No matter which side I book a cabin, the ship docks on the other side. In the long run, it doesn't matter unless you plan to spend all of your time in your cabin or on your balcony.

That is, so, true. :) We tend to look at the position of the ship on sea days to maximize the exposure to the sun. Some people prefer shade. Ports can be hit and miss and many are in an industrial area so not much to see anyway.

Sometimes, you can predict a little. On our Hawaii cruise we chose starboard because we knew sailing into Honolulu and Kauai we would have nicer, and better views. Maui provided views of Lanai and maybe a whale or two. Hilo is a 50/50 shot but we had a nice view of Mauna Kea.

Westbound transatlantic we choose port because, again, we get the sun.

That said, it can be a value to choose port or starboard.

People ask questions lilke that because they don't know. That's what you do when you don't know, you ask. Why laugh at someone who is trying to learn something? Personally, I'd prefer to ask a question of people who have more knowledge about a subject than to not ask and be told "Gee, why didn't you ask someone before you cruised so you'd know before you went?"

Absolutely correct. Cruise Critic exists to support and encourage new cruisers and their questions. Seasoned cruisers here can be a great help in answering the many questions that newbies may have. - EBC

Does anyone one know why a ship docks a certain way, if it’s not the same way ever time the ship visits that port what determines it.

Good question. I would guess, and it is purely a guess, as I have no "inside info" or anything, that it may depend on the way the ship is normally set up internally to accept/disembark passengers, have to do with how the captain wants to do it for some reason, some port-specific reason, or something else entirely. I'd guess that of these 3 reasons, the first one is probably the most likely but I may be dead wrong. :confused:

Tom