Oceania NEXT

LaCroisiereS'amuse

The bathroom does look better, but I wonder about the practicality of the glass shower doors.

Wol, where did you see photos of the bathroom? I didn't see one for the A-E cats....

I took a couple of photos as we prepared to leave the ship, but it was very hurried and I hadn't time to go in and they are only of the basin and the shower door is just visible. The room's so small that you'd have to stand on the loo with a fisheye lens to get much in!

I was thinking the same thing. I sort of liked the feeling of walking into a Downton Abbey set, with butlers at my beck and call. To me, cruising is special and "old school." If I want sleek, white and modern, I can find that at any number of hotels and resorts. Also, if it's meant to look old and elegant, a few scratches are patina. White furniture with scratches is simply dirty.

Mary

Couldn't agree more. I know that some decry the old fashioned decor on the R ships but I think the majority keep coming back BECAUSE they like the style. Oceania are trying to change the very things that most of us like, and there's a lot of - better - modernistic ships out there that those who prefer that look to cruise with rather than a tarted-up version.

I expect the TVs are being updated (they need it) but time will tell whether the sound will impinge on the next cabin since they are bolted to the wall, plus the fact that they are likely to reflect the window rather well if you like sitting in bed to watch.

I expect the TVs are being updated (they need it) but time will tell whether the sound will impinge on the next cabin since they are bolted to the wall

I've been on many ships where the TV's are on the walls between cabins and have never heard the neighbor's TV. I personally try to keep my sound down as low as possible and hope others care as much.

The bathroom does look better, but I wonder about the practicality of the glass shower doors.

I've been in a cruise ship shower stall with glass door. It was open (no glass) from maybe the last 10 inches down to the bottom. I was a little afraid that water could get out onto the floor, but little did. I liked the glass door - more modern, and likely more easy to clean than a curtain.

I expect the TVs are being updated (they need it) but time will tell whether the sound will impinge on the next cabin since they are bolted to the wall, plus the fact that they are likely to reflect the window rather well if you like sitting in bed to watch.

On the O ships the TV are on the wall & have not noticed any noise unless the neighbour has the volume up

I've been in a cruise ship shower stall with glass door. It was open (no glass) from maybe the last 10 inches down to the bottom. I was a little afraid that water could get out onto the floor, but little did. I liked the glass door - more modern, and likely more easy to clean than a curtain.

I certainly like glass doors when you have a big shower, but the R ships' showers don't quite come into that category! The attendants change the shower curtains every few days anyway.

The curtain does allow you to encroach outwards without constantly banging against a glass door, so I prefer that. Until a couple of years ago the curtains had a corded hem which slid down the track and kept the bathroom door side watertight but that seems to have disappeared.

• 2 months later...

There was some press release last spring that suggested Insignia/Nautica/Regatta's specialty restaurants would change from Toscana/Polo to Sirena's Red Ginger/Tuscan themes. Based on last week's Insignia ATW reservations opening however it appears we are sticking with Toscana/Polo on the threesome, that the change has disappeared with the NEXT program. I understand that the merger of Toscana & Polo's menus to Tuscan on Sirena was not universally popular but we had been looking forward to seeing Red Ginger added to the threesome. Unless this is just a problem with the computer displaying pre and post drydock room names at the same time we will be disappointed.

Bill & Darlene

While boarding Insignia yesterday I counted a group of 25 workers getting on board. These are not crew but an advance group apparently to get a jump on the update.

This is the last cruise before the dry dock. I’ll report if it’s disruptive to our cruise experience

5 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

There was some press release last spring that suggested Insignia/Nautica/Regatta's specialty restaurants would change from Toscana/Polo to Sirena's Red Ginger/Tuscan themes. Based on last week's Insignia ATW reservations opening however it appears we are sticking with Toscana/Polo on the threesome, that the change has disappeared with the NEXT program. I understand that the merger of Toscana & Polo's menus to Tuscan on Sirena was not universally popular but we had been looking forward to seeing Red Ginger added to the threesome. Unless this is just a problem with the computer displaying pre and post drydock room names at the same time we will be disappointed.

Bill & Darlene

Good call.   The combo. of those two was not very  good.     Much better off the way it was.  Just got off Sirena two weeks ago and  did not like it at all.  From now we will only travel on the O ships.  Much better choices. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While boarding Insignia yesterday I counted a group of 25 workers getting on board. These are not crew but an advance group apparently to get a jump on the update.

This is the last cruise before the dry dock. I’ll report if it’s disruptive to our cruise experience

Oh I hope  they are not going to be  ripping up things  in the public areas 

enjoy the cruise

22 hours ago, LHT28 said:

enjoy the cruise

No issues yet. Cold and rainy so far. 

Glad and to see this working again. 

On 11/4/2018 at 12:55 AM, LHT28 said:

enjoy the cruise

Plus one!

We had the pre-dry dock experience a few years ago several days before Vancouver on Regatta. They were jack-hammering paint off the decks all the time with bits all over the place, and the Regatta lounge was denuded of carpet, etc etc.

It's all very well, but commercial economics seem to be taking precedence over passenger requirements. It's not as if Oceania is a cut price cruising company and being taken for granted is not what we expect.

Report back!

Still no intrusions. Whatever they're doing seems to be below decks. I have noticed that a couple of the workers are staying on our floor.

Today is Sydney Nova Scotia, looks like sunshine today, but it's a tender port that we anchor at 11 and leave at 4. Seems a tad tight. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

Still no intrusions. Whatever they're doing seems to be below decks. I have noticed that a couple of the workers are staying on our floor.

Today is Sydney Nova Scotia, looks like sunshine today, but it's a tender port that we anchor at 11 and leave at 4. Seems a tad tight. 

Not much to do there, so you should have plenty of time.  :classic_biggrin:

16 hours ago, Wol said:

Plus one!

We had the pre-dry dock experience a few years ago several days before Vancouver on Regatta. They were jack-hammering paint off the decks all the time with bits all over the place, and the Regatta lounge was denuded of carpet, etc etc.

It's all very well, but commercial economics seem to be taking precedence over passenger requirements. It's not as if Oceania is a cut price cruising company and being taken for granted is not what we expect.

Report back!

This is something they should tell you when you book as I am sure they know.  We just canceled a cruise that I found out was just before a dry dock.  Did not want to take any chances.  We will find another ship.

Actually there is lots to do out of Sidney. Primarily it’s called Cape Breton National Highlands Park which is a spectacular drive around the coast. We saw lots of sea eagles flying from the cliffs right below us, whales breaching, and moose wandering everywhere. While lots of posters here don’t like port calls, I actually believe that visit amounted to quite a lot! Four hours isn’t enough time to make it up there and back. Sad thing, you’ll be missing the most beautiful part of Nova Scotia!

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Actually there is lots to do out of Sidney. Primarily it’s called Cape Breton National Highlands Park which is a spectacular drive around the coast. We saw lots of sea eagles flying from the cliffs right below us, whales breaching, and moose wandering everywhere. While lots of posters here don’t like port calls, I actually believe that visit amounted to quite a lot! Four hours isn’t enough time to make it up there and back. Sad thing, you’ll be missing the most beautiful part of Nova Scotia!

I agree about Cape Breton; but not with a 5 hr stop. A lovely place indeed. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

good  news  on the workmen

I am surprised  you are tendering there  ..is there other ships in port

You do need to go away from the port area  to see anything  touristy

they do have some  nice shopping at the port  😉

Did you get the  high winds  that are in the area ??

55 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

+1

I was very surprised to see the comment that there isn't much to do in Sydney.  Maybe not IN TOWN, but several out of town spots that are worth visits ... not just Cape Breton.  But yes, the time in port is too limited to really see much.

Mura

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said: