Full suite and EXTRA tips

arubaaruba

I fully intend to leave autograts without question. Is it customary on Princess to tip extra as you go along or at end of cruise for extra services? For example, afternoon tea in cabin, refilling the fruit, keeping ice bucket full or things like that? Just trying to get an idea of how things are on Princess. I want to be sure I tip appropriately and each cruise line is a bit different. I have not sailed Princess in a full suite before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tip in cash at the end of the cruise by using the blank envelopes at the Purser's Desk. Hand to the person you want to receive them personally or leave on your bed for the cabin steward. On the outside of the envelope, make sure you put your last name and cabin number. The cabin steward should know that this is in addition to the auto tips.

The only thing you'd really need to tip immediately for would be room service that is brought to you by someone other than your cabin steward.

Tip in cash at the end of the cruise by using the blank envelopes at the Purser's Desk. Hand to the person you want to receive them personally or leave on your bed for the cabin steward. On the outside of the envelope, make sure you put your last name and cabin number. The cabin steward should know that this is in addition to the auto tips.

The only thing you'd really need to tip immediately for would be room service that is brought to you by someone other than your cabin steward.

Thanks, do they provide a receipt to sign or should I be prepared with cash for room service?

Thanks, do they provide a receipt to sign or should I be prepared with cash for room service?

You can do it either way but I always tipped in cash. Usually a couple of bucks for something small that they just drop and go or a five if they went the extra mile, set the table, dispersed the plates etc.

I take a bunch of one dollar bills and leave it in a convenient spot (a few at a time). So when room service arrives, it is easy access (don't need to get into the safe each time). I also carry around a few $$ in case I run into someone at the International Cafe or buffet that does something very extra.

I appreciate you clarifying everything in your OP. That makes it so easy to reply.

I fully intend to leave autograts without question. Is it customary on Princess to tip extra as you go along or at end of cruise for extra services? For example, afternoon tea in cabin, refilling the fruit, keeping ice bucket full or things like that? Just trying to get an idea of how things are on Princess. I want to be sure I tip appropriately and each cruise line is a bit different. I have not sailed Princess in a full suite before.

We do not leave extra tips for normal service around the ship such as bars. The ice bucket is part of the cabin steward's normal twice daily service. No extra tips specifically for ice bucket. We do provide the cabin steward an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise.

It is common to provide a cash tip for room service deliveries, although none is required.

Great and appreciate the information

Afternoon tea in a suite is supplied by room service.

We always tip room service especially if its a special setup like afternoon tea.

If you think a specific deed warrants an additional tip by all means give one. :)

What about the suite breakfast? Do you leave an extra tip for that? If so, how do you handle it?

Extra tipping is not required if you don't remove your auto tips.............however

Anytime we get a special setup for food/beverages from room service we always tip extra.

Just hand it to the server(s). Or if its a purchase in cabin sometimes there is an additional gratuity line on the slip you sign from RS.

I believe tips are pooled by the servers at the suite breakfast. We have given an envelop to the head waiter marked for the waitstaff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the head waiter is a jerk and doesn't spread around the tips, it won't take long for the staff to report him/her. Same thing in Club Class--we basically got to know everyone working in that area. The easiest thing to do was to give an envelope to the head server and ask him to take care of everyone (this was also noted on the envelope).

As to whether a tip on the line goes to the pool or to the person who served you....we've been told that as long as the auto grats are in position, it goes to the person who served you. But ultimately, I've decided to not worry about it. I can't change it.

Excellent thread! I've always done the auto tip, sign on the line tips for room service and a nice tip for our steward at the end of the cruise. A friend stated to me that I was shafting the bartenders at the various bars when I didn't leave a dollar or two when I was served by them. What is the consensus? I always thought the auto tip already covered the bartenders and I didn't need to walk around the ship with singles in my pockets. I understand that tipping is at my discretion, but I don't want to double tip when I've already paid one. What do the rest of you think?

Excellent thread! I've always done the auto tip, sign on the line tips for room service and a nice tip for our steward at the end of the cruise. A friend stated to me that I was shafting the bartenders at the various bars when I didn't leave a dollar or two when I was served by them. What is the consensus? I always thought the auto tip already covered the bartenders and I didn't need to walk around the ship with singles in my pockets. I understand that tipping is at my discretion, but I don't want to double tip when I've already paid one. What do the rest of you think?

Every bar item you get on a Princess ship as a 15% gratuity added automatically...it is added whether you are getting individual drinks or bought a package (added to package price). This amount goes into a separate tip pool that is divided among the bar personnel (or at least that's my understanding) There is some discussion as to what happens if you add any additional...whether it goes to the pool or to the individual who served you.

Bottom line, on any cruise ship I've been on, there is no way to stiff a bar tender. The tip is added automatically.

How do you insure that it doesn’t go to just the headwaiter? They are all so fabulous, don’t want to short change anyone. Last time I didn’t tip extra, and felt cruddy about it.
I asked the head waiter if the tips were pooled among all of the staff at breakfast and listed all of the staff’s names on the envelop. I have done this several times. Although you may primarily be served by one or two of the typically four staff assigned, they all contribute to your breakfast experience.

Every bar item you get on a Princess ship as a 15% gratuity added automatically...it is added whether you are getting individual drinks or bought a package (added to package price). This amount goes into a separate tip pool that is divided among the bar personnel (or at least that's my understanding) There is some discussion as to what happens if you add any additional...whether it goes to the pool or to the individual who served you.

Bottom line' date=' on any cruise ship I've been on, there is no way to stiff a bar tender. The tip is added automatically.[/quote']

Since the 15% tip is added automatically, there is no reason to provide an additional tip for standard service. On my last cruise, I spent a lot of time at Crooner's with the same two bartenders every day. I tipped each of them extra in an envelope at the end of the cruise - because I thought the ambience and the service was outstanding.

Exactly right. While you CAN tip at any time' date=' the custom is at the end of the cruise other than the room service delivery person. They are also a part of the tip pool, so anything you give them is also an "additional."[/quote']

As stated, the room service delivery person participates in the auto-tip pool along with the waiters in the dining rooms. I don't see any reason to tip extra unless the service is outstanding. In my opinion, the room service waiter (delivering the entire meal at one time) actually does not provide as much service as the dining room waiter (who delivers each course hot at the correct time). I am more likely to provide extra tips to the dining room waiters - especially the ones in Club Class for lunch and dinner and in the specialty restaurant for breakfast.

Suites are charged a ridiculous amount so you're leaving your auto gratuity intact and you want to tip more!! It is not customary to tip more, that's what you're paying for already. I usually sail in a suite and the crew do not expect more but sometimes one might give a sob story. Room service is included in the daily gratuity. The people on this board like to brag a lot , and make it sound like they walk around tipping everyone who so much as says good morning. Wait until you're on board and ask them to people you meet and chit chat with and you'll get the realistic answer.

As stated, the room service delivery person participates in the auto-tip pool along with the waiters in the dining rooms. I don't see any reason to tip extra unless the service is outstanding. In my opinion, the room service waiter (delivering the entire meal at one time) actually does not provide as much service as the dining room waiter (who delivers each course hot at the correct time). I am more likely to provide extra tips to the dining room waiters - especially the ones in Club Class for lunch and dinner and in the specialty restaurant for breakfast.

Yup! And the dining room server is expected to be personable, etc. I don't object to the standard tip--that's part of cruising. But I don't feel that I need to pay for the guy who did his job by walking down the hall and placing a tray on the table in my cabin. And I don't like the concept that I should additionally tip every person I encounter. If that makes me cheap, so be it.

On our last cruise, the auto gratuity amounted to almost exactly 15% of our cruise ticket including taxes/port charges, etc. Total auto grat was almost $500. That's enough for 10 nights!