Best Scenery from the Boat (Elderly with mobility issues)

MSMcDuffy

Hi,

I'm exploring the possibility of a trip with my 85 year old mother in the next year or so since she has always been interested in river cruising. We have been on several large ship cruises but she has not joined our small group of relatives on the past couple cruises because it has become harder for her to get around. She is not in a wheelchair, however, she is a very slow walker, gets tired easily, and it would be hard for her to keep up with a group.

In the case that she would not be able to go on any excursions I'm wondering if there are any rivers that are scenic enough to enjoy the scenery from the vessel? I realize these cruises are pricey and some might look at this as a waste of money but there is a chance she could handle some excursions that include others with mobility issues (so as not to slow the group down). She is someone who has pushed past her fears (she's actually afraid of water but that hasn't stopped her from cruising and even excursions on smaller boats) so she's a trooper but I want her to be comfortable, too. If you think it would not be worth it, please let me know (I can handle the truth and realize her cruising days might be over:().

I heard that the Rhine has the most scenic stretch of castles at one point but that the rest is industrial. Is this true? Are the Danube, Seine & Maine rivers any more scenic? I'm thinking of 8-12 days max as I shouldn't take more than 2 wks off of work at a time.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!:)

I can't speak to your mother's mobility situation but we thoroughly enjoyed a twelve night cruise with Uniworld last summer on the Rhine and the Moselle rivers. We thought the scenery from the ship was marvelous. The ship (the River Queen) had a small elevator that served all decks except the sun deck.

A good TA that specializes in river cruising might be your best bet.

Paul

First of all, many (or even all) cruise lines offer slow walking groups (some call it gentle or leisurely walking groups) with reduced programme and/or a different ratio between walking and bus than the standard tours. And, of course, you are always welcomed to use the bus only as a shutlle and skip the offered guided tour or simply walk off the ship on your own or hire a cab. Often the ship is not moving during excursions, but that depends on the schedule.

Indeed the Middle Rhine gorge is spectacular and well worth seeing, as it has been for visitor since the 19th century, that applies for the stretch between Mainz and Cologne. However, other parts of the Rhine, both upriver and downriver are more like a canal (between Basel and Karlsruhe it really is one) with not much scenery.

Scenic rivers are the Moselle, the Main and the upper Danube. So a river cruise, which combine some of these rivers, like Moselle to its confluence with the Rhine, then Middle Rhine Valley, Main, Rhine-Main-Donau Canal and maybe the Danube until Vienna or parts of that, might be something worth sailing. Also the Douro in Portugal is scenic river.

Sounds lovely to offer your mother such a trip and I am sure you two will greatly enjoy it. If she is willing to sit on a plane for hours and endure a day of jet lag I am sure she will be alright on a river cruise ship. Viking has been mentioned as being very accommodating towards those who prefer a leisurely pace and "officially" focusses on the older demographic. But look into other companies as well, like Uniworld and AmaWaterways.

I very much agree with looking into cruises on the Moselle.

notamermaid

There isn't a lot of daytime cruising, except in scenic sections like the Rhine gorge or the Wachau Valley, or if the ship is repositioning while others are out on an excursion, so the view would be mostly static.

For a decent view while docked, it might be necessary to climb up to the sundeck, particularly if the ship is rafted with others. This requires climbing an outside, generally metal, stairway.

Do talk to the companies about their version of "gentle walkers" and whether it might work for your mother even if not every day. We heard on these boards that Uniworld seems to have dropped the name but retained the concept but you need to confirm that.

What a wonderful daughter:) and I agree with an earlier post about finding a TA who specializes in River Cruising. There are a lot of lines out there and at the top of this forum is a thread about different choices. That thread may help you as well.:)

I strongly believe that there will be much more so see from the ship at a river cruise than at an ocean cruise - when the ship is docked and when sailing during day time. Other boats, locks and the scenery passing by.

For most river cruises it will be a compromise between excursions as well as scenic sailing during day time. At some rivers you even cannot sail during night.

Do a little research on the itinerary and excursions.

At our Uniworld Burgundy and Rhône Rive cruise it was well balanced - below a video from the River Rhône sailing - most footage from the Matisse Terrace at the front of the ship (Deck 4) - nice location and service all day.

During sailing the sun deck was closed most of the time because of the very low bridges.

16x3IcLIiCU

I strongly believe that there will be much more so see from the ship at a river cruise than at an ocean cruise -

I would argue that STRONGLY depends on the chosen itinerary....Transatlantic or Caribbean? Sure, not very exciting many days. Mediterranean, Alaska, parts of Asia, Panama canal - lots to see.... Otherwise very difficult to compare rivers & ocean cruising.....