Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

... in this august forae... 

Dative singular = foro

Forum, as a second declension noun, has no ae ending in any case or number. 

English doesn't have declension as in Latin which is why we need prepositions such as in.

So forum has 2 forms in English:

Forum - singular

Forums - plural. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I had noticed too, but refrained from trying to improve other people's Latin education.

Lola

When I went to  school in Australia back in the dim dark  ages,  you had the choice of french or latin  !!

I chose french - and still  can  only say open  the door, close the window,  and I will have a ham and cheese sandwich  😲 !  Now they teach every asian  language you can  think of, which considering our location is more relevant !

Edited by rojaan19
typo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

"The [Majestic Princess] outbreak is the single biggest case of cruise ship infections in Australia since the Ruby Princess docked in 2020."

What pattern do we see here?  This puts all the complaints about Silversea in a different quantum perspective!

The pattern shows testing is done on every passenger on a ship, but not every resident of a city or state.  So, per post by @rojaan19 with comments from the chief heath officer of NSW, there can’t actually be a comparison.

• Like 2

I did both languages, and German!   I did jib at Greek, however.  The French has been useful over the years, because of course living where we do a holiday trip to France has been a frequent occurrence (though not since Brexit, for me anyway), and my vocab. for food and drink and hotels has been kept going, though a philosophical discussion would be difficult.  I can imagine that in Oz the Asian languages, plus maybe modern Greek and Italian would be much more useful.  The only real use I have had for the Latin has been for medical terms.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

I did both languages, and German!   I did jib at Greek, however.  The French has been useful over the years, because of course living where we do a holiday trip to France has been a frequent occurrence (though not since Brexit, for me anyway), and my vocab. for food and drink and hotels has been kept going, though a philosophical discussion would be difficult.  I can imagine that in Oz the Asian languages, plus maybe modern Greek and Italian would be much more useful.  The only real use I have had for the Latin has been for medical terms.

In Brazil you can choose English, Spanish or French. But currently hardly anyone choose French. In order to go to university you are tested in one of them (but exam is very very basic). To get a MSc you need to be fluent in one of them and to get a Phd you need to be fluent in two.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Nowadays Spanish - or Mandarin - would be much more useful than French.  But I was at school in the dark ages,  remember.

Lola

Our daughter-in-law was born in Nanjing.   She has been fruitlessly trying to teach Mandarin to our son and their son.  It's not an easy language to pick up.   One wrong nuance or emphasis and the meaning is lost. 

Sadly, when I got to high school, they no longer taught Latin, and I didn't pursue it later.  I shall forthwith stop making lame attempts to use Latin (well, maybe Pig Latin...), unless I can find it in my slim reference volume.  I should stick with my native language, which is Southern California surfer-dude speak.  I still stand by the august-ness of this forum.  And to update, the pictured dinner was good, the football - not so much.  Our team (Ducks) got a little bit too cute (tried another onside kick mid-game, which failed spectactularly).  This despite the home field advantage of a very loud stadium full of crazies screaming and quacking.  My wife and I remind each other at such times - it is only football.  Not like a national election!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Our daughter-in-law was born in Nanjing.   She has been fruitlessly trying to teach Mandarin to our son and their son.  It's not an easy language to pick up.   One wrong nuance or emphasis and the meaning is lost. 

Kind of like homographs in the English language; bow of a ship, or the bow that shoots arrows.

• Like 1

Finally talking about a language I can speak. Pig latin!

Though after our first trip to Japan I did go back to Uni and did 2 years of Japanese. I really wasn't much good speaking it but became proficient writing it which really did impress the Japanese folk. Sadly with little practice I have forgotten more than I remember.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Kind of like homographs in the English language; bow of a ship, or the bow that shoots arrows.

Facing a rather long assignment in the Netherlands, my much-missed Dutch-descended Mom said learn some Dutch before you go - at least Please, Thank you, & I'm sorry.  Which I did & never regretted.  I know we all miss our moms who have lost them; well, I do too.

Wait...

Should that "who" have been whom?

No one I know has ever vocalized "whom" including said beloved mother.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Facing a rather long assignment in the Netherlands, my much-missed Dutch-descended Mom said learn some Dutch before you go - at least Please, Thank you, & I'm sorry.  Which I did & never regretted.  I know we all miss our moms who have lost them; well, I do too.

Wait...

Only in "To whom it may concern ".  😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Wait...

As a broad rule of thumb: If you would replace "who" with "he" then you use "whom" where you would use "him". For example:

Will he win? Who will win? 

It was taken by him. It was taken by whom? 

You got it from him? You got it from whom? 

Good enough for government work. 😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

As a broad rule of thumb: If you would replace "who" with "he" then you use "whom" where you would use "him". For example:

Will he win? Who will win? 

It was taken by him. It was taken by whom? 

You got it from him? You got it from whom? 

Good enough for government work. 😏

This is the type of question for an exam of proficiency in English....

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, mysty said:

It's the beginning of a new decade for me today.   I made it to 70.  I intend to approach this new beginning with fearless optimism!  Dinner at our favourite restaurant Black Tartan Kitchen tonight.   And a bonus......Myster is not a flower-giving lad.  I never cared because he shows his love and support without blooms.   However,  yesterday the dear lad showered me with roses.  Made my heart sing!

20221110_155613.thumb.jpg.3aad63bedd789bdf714b1e11625dabbe.jpg

Mysty,  a belated Happy Birthday to you!  It looks as if you enjoyed a lovely celebration of this milestone.

But the celebrations can continue, if you like. One of my friends celebrates what she calls “the birthday zone”, so you’re not limited to just a single day. 
And another friend believes that your birthday “zone” should cover 1 day for each year of age attained. So your celebrations can continue till the latter part of January…🥂

• Like 2