Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Coolers - polling for suggestions.

We are spending 3 days in France just before Christmas (22-24) and flying home Christmas Day.

Tix are to/from CDG but we'll take the train elsewhere and at most, spend the last night in Paris if at all. The bulk of the time will be spent elsewhere. 

We arrive really early on the 22nd so we have essentially 3 full days to plan. I have 3 general ideas:

1. Train to Tours and then maybe spend 2 or 3 nights in the Loire Valley, probably some in Tours and some at a smaller town like Amboise or Bloise, etc. Would probably rent a car for part of the time to see some of the Chateaux. The downside is that the weather may be iffy and obviously the gardens will be dormant. Chris visited the Loire Valley for a day (a few years ago when she was in HS) and I have never been.

2. Train to Strasbourg for Christmas markets, Alsatian food, wine, and seasonal cheer. Would probably squeeze in a day trip to Colmar. We've been to Strasbourg before but not much else in Alsace and I love the area.

3. (probably my least preferred) Rouen, and car trips to Bayeux and other places in Normandy. We have been to Rouen and Honfleur already and liked them, not to the beaches or Bayeux. I have not fleshed this idea out much.

Anyone been to any of these areas in the winter? We do not mind the cold and we definitely like to avoid masses of tourists who crowd these places in the summer months. We'll trade a heavy jacket for solitude any day (and it's easy, as we have those nice SS parkas!).

As I type this I suspect Strasbourg's Christmas markets may attract crowds, as they are somewhat well-known. Has anyone been there for the markets?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience that they can share.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We are spending 3 days in France just before Christmas (22-24) and flying home Christmas Day.

Tix are to/from CDG but we'll take the train elsewhere and at most, spend the last night in Paris if at all. The bulk of the time will be spent elsewhere. 

We arrive really early on the 22nd so we have essentially 3 full days to plan. I have 3 general ideas:

1. Train to Tours and then maybe spend 2 or 3 nights in the Loire Valley, probably some in Tours and some at a smaller town like Amboise or Bloise, etc. Would probably rent a car for part of the time to see some of the Chateaux. The downside is that the weather may be iffy and obviously the gardens will be dormant. Chris visited the Loire Valley for a day (a few years ago when she was in HS) and I have never been.

2. Train to Strasbourg for Christmas markets, Alsatian food, wine, and seasonal cheer. Would probably squeeze in a day trip to Colmar. We've been to Strasbourg before but not much else in Alsace and I love the area.

3. (probably my least preferred) Rouen, and car trips to Bayeux and other places in Normandy. We have been to Rouen and Honfleur already and liked them, not to the beaches or Bayeux. I have not fleshed this idea out much.

Anyone been to any of these areas in the winter? We do not mind the cold and we definitely like to avoid masses of tourists who crowd these places in the summer months. We'll trade a heavy jacket for solitude any day (and it's easy, as we have those nice SS parkas!).

As I type this I suspect Strasbourg's Christmas markets may attract crowds, as they are somewhat well-known. Has anyone been there for the markets?

What an awesome plan!  So many wonderful options! 🥰

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mysty said:

What an awesome plan!  So many wonderful options! 🥰

We were in Colmar in early November 2009 on a river cruise with Uniworld.  It was awesome!  I can't speak to what it would be in December though.

P1011758.JPG.6b6a2b233d2232b036e0667bf8d246a2.JPG

P1011763.JPG.6243e8d4810f55627a5626feed3709a7.JPG

Edited by mysty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have been touring the Loire valley twice, but always in spring / summer, so I could not say what it was like in winter, but it seems they put on a special Christmas program:

https://www.touraineloirevalley.co.uk/discover/loire-valley-chateaux/christmas-magic-in-the-land-of-chateaux/

Ma favourite chateaux are Chambord and Chenonceau. Amboise was very interesting too because of Leonardo da Vinci. So option 1 would be my winner, with Alsace a close second.

Strasbourg can get very crowded in December, then again, it always is. Personally I like Colmar much better, nice X-mas market too on a smaller scale, excellent restaurants,  and they have the Isenheim Altarpiece. But both places are getting a lot of tourists due to popular X-mas market river cruises.
What about burgundy, have you been there? I am thinking of Beaune especially, ideal for you food and wine lovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

How about Lyon?  You like good food.  Transportation should be easy.  It is on my bucket list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Coolers - polling for suggestions.   We are spending 3 days in France just before Christmas (22-24) and flying home Christmas Day.   Tix are to/from CDG but we'll take the train elsewhere and at most, spend the last night in Paris if at all. The bulk of the time will be spent elsewhere. 

1. Train to Tours and then maybe spend 2 or 3 nights in the Loire Valley, 

2. Train to Strasbourg for Christmas markets, Alsatian food, wine, and seasonal cheer. Would probably squeeze in a day trip to Colmar

Hi, J.P.!  Have done much in ALL three of these wonderful areas.  Several times for Loire, Normandy, etc.  

Am I understanding correctly you would arrive early on the morning of Dec. 22 and have just Dec. 22, 23 and 24 to do ALL of these three different locations?  Am I missing something as to your total, net, net timing in France?

The trains can be great in France and Europe, but if traveling out of de Gaulle airport, those connections and times from there are not always perfect and time efficient.  In going into and out of Paris by train might involve changing train station locations for different parts of this big and busy city.  More time, more logistics??!! 

Yes, weather in December in France can be like a gamble as most gardens, wineries and locations are very much not at their peak.  Was in Paris in December 1970 and it was great then for the museums, dining, etc., there.  

The Loire is so amazing for architecture, food, history, etc.  But, in December??

Am sharing a few of my visuals to help "Build the Excitement" for this adventure.   But, I am being doubtful for trying to do all three locations in such a super short period of time.  The traffic and logistics of Paris are part of the challenge, whether by train, car, etc.   

Tell us more!!  You and Chris are good at travel fast and light.  But??

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

In Rouen, their Cathedral is awesome with its architecture and details.  Both outside and with its interior.  Then, there is nearby for the D-Day WWII site at Omaha Beach.  Plus, many other options nearby.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.8422ce37c09532cec23a8b00ecf5efdc.jpeg

In the Alsace areas, there are some many charming and fascinating towns, villages, etc.:

image.thumb.jpeg.2ce98579e512f61a9dfc09ca29faf35c.jpeg

Amazing is the architecture as shown by the Château de Chambord in the Loire Valley.  At least it will not be too crowded in December.  Chambord is interesting, but there are other chateaus where their interiors offer more.:

image.thumb.jpeg.bc851d3738c7b682b1dd9848cb5e1048.jpeg

For Alsace, here is what you might missing as to the beauty that is only there in the Spring, Summer and Fall.:

image.thumb.jpeg.4da7ad6530695c0851dce34c2c76ba4c.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emtbsam said:

How about Lyon?  You like good food.  Transportation should be easy.  It is on my bucket list.

Another vote for Lyon. We lived an hour north of Lyon for 5 years and visited frequently. Do not drive in Lyon, it's chaotic and parking is difficult. (We used to park on a French Army base; they were surprisingly accommodating to RAF veterans) 

While many consider France the food capital of the world, Lyon is undoubtedly the food capital of France but everywhere except McDs will be shut on 25th.

There's a TGV (high speed train) from Gare du Lyon, Paris to Lyon.  

• Like 2

Thanks all.

To clarify - we're only going to try to do one of the three options. I'm asking for opinions as to whether any of you would have a preference given that we'll be there in December. 

Terry, we do travel fast but we won't try all three in three days! I know that connections out of CDG can be a pain; have done that a bunch of times. You have to try to find stuff that is close to a station on the RER B line.

We've been to Lyon and Beaune. Definitely liked it. Would go again and it did cross our minds for this visit too. We have taken the TGV from Paris to Lyon to catch a Rhone river cruise, and it's very convenient. Just didn't bubble to the top 3 for this long weekend. Might have to look more closely.

I think the Loire is the lead contender as it should not be crowded like I suspected that Alsace will be. If nobody has visited in December then I think I'll have to report back with an update if we do that!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

What about burgundy, have you been there? I am thinking of Beaune especially, ideal for you food and wine lovers.

YES, agree that Burgundy and Beaune as to being super wonderful.  Glad that Chris and J.P. have been there.

Great clarification and added background from J.P.  Agree that the Loire can and should be one of your top, best options to consider for this limited period of time.  There are a nice range of different chateaus there to visit and tour.   Can offer more details and tips if you decide on that option. 

Many options in and around Paris.  Plus, more at only a short train ride away.  Need more options and ideas to sample ALL of France's greatness for food, wine, history, culture, architecture, etc.  

But what, also, what about nearby Reims and Champagne Country?

Been to Bordeaux?  The train these days is very quick for getting down there and back.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From the Loire Valley in 2005, here is a sample to prove that they know how to do desserts well in this part of France.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.83340f1ca581d8dec1155d4cbeb7df4c.jpeg

Burgundy has some interesting architecture style, roofs, plus great markets.  Plus, oh, there the wine is amazing, too!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.eea95fe20e210df80b1ce3c2206752a7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cba15a1372ab1f472ed69f8a8b25203c.jpeg

Reims and Champagne Country?

image.thumb.jpeg.b7a6c501e856ab14e4502120ab3c7293.jpeg

In Rouen, this is the La Couronne location that jump-started the amazing food/fine dining career for Julia Childs.:

image.thumb.jpeg.9d6f1be413245099c12c047d76961792.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Terry. We ate lunch at La Couronne a few years back (BC) when we were in Rouen. And I recognize the iconic roof of Les Hospices de Beaune from your picture. I have some mixed memories of Beaune; it was there I tried the (in)famous Andouillette sausage. It was good until it wasn't.

In the end it will probably come down to a combination of things, including which area has the most convenient train schedules. And what trains leave from stations closest to the RER B line. Tonight we'll concentrate on whether the Loire itinerary is feasible then we'll look at some of the other options. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

You are the 1%'ers' ...

99% of those born between 1930 and 1946 (worldwide) are now dead. If you were born in this period, you are one of the rare surviving one percenters of this exclusive group. Their ages range is between 77 and 93 years old, a 16-year age span.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE 1% ERS:

You are the smallest group of children born since the early 1900s.

You are the last generation, climbing out of the depression, who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world at war that rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.

You are the last to remember ration books for everything from gas to sugar to shoes to stoves.

You saved tin foil and poured fried meat fat into tin cans.

You can remember milk being delivered to your house early in the morning and placed in the "milk box" on the porch.

Parents and teachers enforced discipline.

You are the last generation who spent childhood without television; instead, you “imagined” what you heard on the radio.

With no TV, you spent your childhood "playing outside".

There was no Little League baseball.

There was no city playground for kids.

The lack of television in your early years meant that you had little real understanding of what the world was like.

We got a “black-and-white” TV in the late 40s with 3 stations and no remote.

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party lines), and hung on the wall in the kitchen (no cares about privacy).

Computers were called calculators; they were hand-cranked.

Typewriters were driven by pounding fingers, throwing the carriage, and changing the ribbon.

'INTERNET' and 'GOOGLE' were words that did not exist.

Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the news was broadcast on your radio in the evening (your dad would give you the comic pages when he read the news).

New highways would bring jobs and mobility. Most highways were 2 lanes (no interstates).

You went downtown to shop. You walked to school.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands.

Your parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression and the war, and they threw themselves into working hard to make a living for their families.

You weren't neglected, but you weren't today's all-consuming family focus.

They were glad you played by yourselves.

They were busy discovering the postwar world.

You entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a world where you were welcomed, enjoyed yourselves.

You felt secure in your future, although the depression and poverty were deeply remembered.

Polio was still a crippler. Everyone knew someone who had it.

You came of age in the '50s and '60s.

You are the last generation to experience an interlude when there were no threats to our homeland.

World War 2 was over, and the cold war, terrorism, global warming, and perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life.

Only your generation can remember a time after WW2 when our world was secure and full of bright promise and plenty.

You grew up at the best possible time, a time when the world was getting better.

More than 99% of you are retired now, and you should feel privileged to have "lived in the best of times!"

If you have already reached the age of 77, you have outlived 99% of all the other people in the world who were born in this special 16-year time span. You are a 1% 'er"!

• Like 5