Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

JP -

A suggestion to consider:  A short drive to the SE of Paris (toward Melun), one can see two most interesting Chateaus - Fontainebleau & Vaux-le-Vicomte.  The former started as a royal hunting lodge and was added to by successive kings.  It is a huge sprawling complex in a lovely setting, worth seeing for the private areas that are on display.  The latter comes with an interesting story.  Nicolas Fouquet was a "court financier" (CFO?) to Louis XIV.  He committed the error of building a chateau of such grandeur, using such exquisite design, materials & workmanship, that it arguably outshone the King's own digs (Versailles), resulting in much outrage and his being arrested.  I assume there was some speculation as to how he could afford such a thing on his salary.  Whatever happened, it is one of the most amazing interiors you'll ever see, and well worth the trip.  This area is associated with the Barbizon School of landscape painting, examples of which can be seen in the gallery in the town of Barbizon.  Obviously, inquire as to whether the places are open before heading down! 

Edited by Will Work for Tiramisu
Added "check if open"
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Have to share our experience with renewing Global Entry this time. 

We first got GE in 2013 and renewed in 2018. Not a bad process, filled out a form online, paid the fee (reimbursed by AMEX) and eventually heard that we were approved. No new interview required.

So our GE once again expires in January and March of next year. Chris got an email saying that she could renew so on Saturday afternoon we sat down and filled out the applications.

This morning we both awoke to see an email notification concerning "a change in your application status" and logged on to the TTP site, to see what the problem was... No problem, both approved and renewed until 2029! Not sure how they did that in 36 hours but I'll take it! So I guess we're good to go for another five years (and we can come home afterwards).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We first got GE in 2013 and renewed in 2018. Not a bad process, filled out a form online, paid the fee (reimbursed by AMEX) and eventually heard that we were approved. No new interview required.

So our GE once again expires in January and March of next year. Chris got an email saying that she could renew so on Saturday afternoon we sat down and filled out the applications.

This morning we both awoke to see an email notification concerning "a change in your application status" and logged on to the TTP site, to see what the problem was... No problem, both approved and renewed until 2029! Not sure how they did that in 36 hours but I'll take it! So I guess we're good to go for another five years (and we can come home afterwards).

I have a feeling that your stellar characters contributed!  🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The hardest part is remembering all of the countries you have visited. 

I did have to be interviewed, and it was at the tail end of the first covid wave.  

Dr Spins did not have to be interviewed and had the experience you both did. 

And speaking of Covid…seems like its on the increase in the USA once again. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The hardest part is remembering all of the countries you have visited. 

I just look in my "Pictures" folder and there are separate subfolders for every trip, organized by date. Makes it easier to reconstruct the list.

• Like 3

I keep a daily brief diary and list of shore excursions, memorable meals and a full itinerary with flight numbers and flight equipment.  I generally take photos of the airplane seats for future reference.

My father travelled with two 16mm movie cameras.  When he got home, he would edit about a mile of film, add titles, a spoken commentary and appropriate music to his movies.  It took him  months to produce about a one hour movie.  Unfortunately, we never got them transferred to video, so I fear they would be ruined if we tried now 40 years later.  He would have loved today's technology.  He also travelled with a portable typewriter and wrote the Daily Digest which has become a great source of information for our current day travels.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, jpalbny said:

JP -Thanks. My GE is not slated for renewal again until 2026, but just renewed my passport last year and your post reminded me to update the passport info on the CBP/TTP/GE site. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emtbsams said:

My father travelled with two 16mm movie cameras.  When he got home, he would edit about a mile of film, add titles, a spoken commentary and appropriate music to his movies.  It took him  months to produce about a one hour movie.  Unfortunately, we never got them transferred to video, so I fear they would be ruined if we tried now 40 years later.  He would have loved today's technology.  He also travelled with a portable typewriter and wrote the Daily Digest which has become a great source of information for our current day travels.

Surely you must try! If they are that fragile then you could never use a movie projector to display them so you may as well try to transfer them to digital. What a treasure that would be!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Surely you must try! If they are that fragile then you could never use a movie projector to display them so you may as well try to transfer them to digital. What a treasure that would be!

One of the challenges is that the splices would probably come apart.  Then I need to find someone who could transfer sound on film to video.  Maybe a film student somewhere would know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

And to think today so many men can’t even travel with a tie, let alone a dark suit. 😉

Stupid question… what is the difference between an Emtbsam and Emtbsams, other than it’s plural form?

My original name was emtbsam, but when my login got messed up, someone at cc.com changed it to entbsams.  I answer to either one and haven’t had the courage or the time to try to get it fixed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

And to think today so many men can’t even travel with a tie, let alone a dark suit. 😉

Well played, Stumblefoot. Well played. Good thing I read your post while I was at work and only drinking coffee. It would have been a shame to waste any wine!

• Haha 4

I’m confused about the word 'service' used by these organisations:

Banking 'Service'
Postal 'Service'
Telephone 'Service'
Internet 'Service'
Local council & State Government 'Service'
Airline 'Service'
Federal Government 'Service'.
What they actually provide for us is not what I think 'Service' means.
I recently visited my uncle who’s a farmer and he hired a bull to 'Service' his cows.

Suddenly, WOW! it all came clear……

Now I understand what all these organisations are doing to us!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7