Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

8 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

So January 24 plans are all signed and sealed now. Fly to Uluru on the 2nd (arrive on the 4th) 2 nights at Uluru, fly to Perth (1 night), Indian pacific for 4 nights Perth to Sydney then a trip to Broken hill (staying in the Priscilla suite at the Palace Hotel for those that know) back to Sydney for a night and then 12 nights on the Edge around NZ, Milford, Doubtful & Dusky Sound, Christchurch, Dunedin, Tauranga, Aukland, Bay of Islands and back to Sydney. 2 Nights Sydney harbour for Australia Day and I’ve got myself onto the Southern Swan for the tall ships race on Australia Day. Onto Brisbane and then 3 nights on Lady Elliot Island to finish up. The only bit; that’s gone wrong was my day trip to Antarctica on the 28th that has been cancelled. 138 days and counting!

Well, that hardly gives me time to pick you up from the airport and deliver you to the East Perth Station!

You have set yourself quite a schedule, but there is plenty of time to relax on the train and the cruise.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

A question for @mysty if you don't mind.  I leave for Vancouver in two weeks and will be there a few days prior to boarding Silver Muse.  It's been four years since I visited Canada, and on those occasions there was a tour manager to take care of business.  This time I'm on my own.  I need some advice about tipping in Canada.  Particularly the hotel porter when he takes my two suitcases up to the room?  Having said two suitcases, I will take a taxi from the airport rather than the train.  I will spend the days walking, walking, walking!  Dinner probably at the Fairmont (Waterfront) one night and the pub across the road another.

Oh, I'll remember to pack my Perth winter clothes for the visit. 🤣

Having just disembarked Silver Dawn, my first classic Silversea cruise, I am really looking forward to a full month on board Muse.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Great itinerary Davey.  Maybe you'll get to see Ayers Rock.  I hear it's right up there with Mount McKinley.  😉

DW says he will be spending 2 days at Uluru which is the First Nations name for Ayres Rock.

No one in Australia refers to the rock as anything but Uluru.

It is  a great itinerary and should be a good introduction to Aus and NZ - just be aware DW, you will  be experiencing the outback. Wales is very different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jazz was making a tongue-in-cheek comparison between Uluru and Denali. Both are famous sites which used to be named something else (we used to call it Mt. McKinley), but now are called by their First Nations name. I'm sure he knows that DW is visiting Uluru.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

A question for @mysty if you don't mind.  I leave for Vancouver in two weeks and will be there a few days prior to boarding Silver Muse.  It's been four years since I visited Canada, and on those occasions there was a tour manager to take care of business.  This time I'm on my own.  I need some advice about tipping in Canada.  Particularly the hotel porter when he takes my two suitcases up to the room?  Having said two suitcases, I will take a taxi from the airport rather than the train.  I will spend the days walking, walking, walking!  Dinner probably at the Fairmont (Waterfront) one night and the pub across the road another.

Oh, I'll remember to pack my Perth winter clothes for the visit. 🤣

Having just disembarked Silver Dawn, my first classic Silversea cruise, I am really looking forward to a full month on board Muse.

Canadians tip much the same way Americans tip for service (although maybe a little less).  For porters, about $2.00 a bag.  Taxis....$10%.  Restaurants...18%.   Have a wonderful time in Vancouver!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Great itinerary Davey.  Maybe you'll get to see Ayers Rock.  I hear it's right up there with Mount McKinley.  😉

Haha, No time for Ayres Rock on this itinerary Jazz, I'm spending too much time at Uluru to see both. I've got a sunrise flight over and a sunset BBQ booked. I've a ginger brother so don't fair well in 40+.

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Davey - your itinerary is fantastic.   I am almost  looking forward to the cold winter days when I can live it vicariously on here.

Lola

It certainly beats a wet January in Wales Lola!

3 hours ago, Port Power said:

Well, that hardly gives me time to pick you up from the airport and deliver you to the East Perth Station!

You have set yourself quite a schedule, but there is plenty of time to relax on the train and the cruise.  Have a great time.

Its a shame I'm only in Perth for 12 hours, I was hoping to visit Rottnest but time doesn't allow. Any recommendations on the best hotel in Perth not too far from the east terminal?

2 hours ago, Joc123 said:

DW says he will be spending 2 days at Uluru which is the First Nations name for Ayres Rock.

It is  a great itinerary and should be a good introduction to Aus and NZ - just be aware DW, you will  be experiencing the outback. Wales is very different.

We are having a similar battle here at the moment with Snowdon. The PC brigade are trying to stop anyone using the name Snowdon and instead calling it Eryri. That would be fine if that was its Welsh name but its always been called Snowdon and Eryri is a name attributed to it only recently by the Welsh speakers.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Jazz was making a tongue-in-cheek comparison between Uluru and Denali. Both are famous sites which used to be named something else (we used to call it Mt. McKinley), but now are called by their First Nations name. I'm sure he knows that DW is visiting Uluru.

I'm just chuckling at the thought of the Welsh being First Nation people. Some are quite militant about it and insist on spelling words such as Tacsi and Ambiwlans just because they can. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Davey, that trip to Australia sounds wonderful. I hope you have a fantastic time🙂

Thanks Lois, I Tried to cram as much as I could into the trip. Shame I couldn't manage the Kimberleys too but it gives me a reason to go back another time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Its a shame I'm only in Perth for 12 hours, I was hoping to visit Rottnest but time doesn't allow. Any recommendations on the best hotel in Perth not too far from the east terminal?

How sad you can’t get to Rottnest.  You’ve missed another relaxing and unique opportunity.

There aren’t any hotels near the East Perth station.  I’m sure you have already explored Perth hotels.  The Ritz-Carlton at Elizabeth Quay is probably your cup of tea. Or one of the Crowne hotels at Burswood, which are straight down the highway from the airport and equally close to East Perth.

56 minutes ago, Port Power said:

How sad you can’t get to Rottnest.  You’ve missed another relaxing and unique opportunity.

There aren’t any hotels near the East Perth station.  I’m sure you have already explored Perth hotels.  The Ritz-Carlton at Elizabeth Quay is probably your cup of tea. Or one of the Crowne hotels at Burswood, which are straight down the highway from the airport and equally close to East Perth.

Thanks PP. Ive been trying to find something decent that's close to the station but not had much luck. I'll check them out. 

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Very nice Terry! Now, try it when it's like this! Much easier to get an unobstructed picture... Glad you enjoyed QC. Your picture reminds me that it's been more than 7 years since our last visit, so we need to get back there and see what we've been missing! Hope you are home safely and with minimal hassle.

Appreciate from J.P. these great visuals and the follow-up details related to Quebec City.  Winter there "looks" wonderful, but not sure during the time of year, if we need and want more snow, cold and ice.  While there in Quebec City, we heard details about how cold it gets there and the large amount of interest snow during their winters.  

YES, if it's been seven years, you should refurn there to charming and historic Quebec City, especially during the warmer summer and early fall season.

Will follow with more visuals to prove and verify the excellent character and style with this first Canada settlement/city.    

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

15 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

So January 24 plans are all signed and sealed now. Fly to Uluru on the 2nd (arrive on the 4th) 2 nights at Uluru, fly to Perth (1 night), Indian pacific for 4 nights Perth to Sydney then a trip to Broken hill (staying in the Priscilla suite at the Palace Hotel for those that know) back to Sydney for a night and then 12 nights on the Edge around NZ, Milford, Doubtful & Dusky Sound, Christchurch, Dunedin, Tauranga, Aukland, Bay of Islands and back to Sydney. 2 Nights Sydney harbour for Australia Day and I’ve got myself onto the Southern Swan for the tall ships race on Australia Day. Onto Brisbane and then 3 nights on Lady Elliot Island to finish up. The only bit; that’s gone wrong was my day trip to Antarctica on the 28th that has been cancelled. 138 days and counting!

WOW!!!  What a wonderful and exciting adventure that is upcoming.  So many great options to consider at these various locations and ports.  What a trip to explore and experience!!

If I understand correctly you are sailing on the Celebrity Edge.  Right?  Hear it is a nice, innovative ship.  Larger than Silversea, but offering many very good on-ship options.  As detailed below, we did an exciting Sydney to Auckland sailing that offered many very good experiences.  You might check if while sailing in Doubtful Sound, they offer an overnight excursion to Queenstown.  We did that and loved the chance to see more of the scenic interior of New Zealand's South Island.  

Also while in Christchurch, they might consider excursion options to do highly-interesting Tranz Alpine Express to the heart of the Southern Alps/Arthur’s Pass National Park. And, also you could super enjoy the exciting jet-boat ride on the scenic Waimakiriri River.  Also in Sydney, consider as I did, doing a walk, up, UP, to the top of their famed Harbour Bridge, plus seeing more inside and during a performance at the Sydney Opera House.  See some details at: http://www.bridgeclimb.com.

Need proof and evidence?  See below just a few visual examples.  Keep researching and planning.  So many, many great potentials.  Happy to share more details and suggestions.

Also, love Auckland from visiting there twice.   

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,893 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Here is an example of the great views and experience when at the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.  If I can do it, then everyone can, if you dare!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2ac332118eb2cfcfe93f1deadacbcd.jpeg

The Tranz Alpine Express offers a fun and exciting exploration through New Zealand's dramatic South Island.:

image.thumb.jpeg.41900b4991446b1bca46acf63f6fbb08.jpeg

Doing the jet-boat experience is a super thrill in navigating through these narrow canyons in NZ's scenic South Island.  As the second picture proves, my wife loved it!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8c603788aaa84ef01b3b8755e99452a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b49dc0c7f85d718f5796809e56e3009a.jpeg

When doing the overnight Queenstown excursion, it allows you to see the bridge where bungee jumping was inventing, plus potentials for doing a sailing on a scenic lake to a sheep ranch, visiting cute shops, a mining town, winery, etc.  Worth checking it out.:

image.thumb.jpeg.8bd5807b7b6a7343dcb7d3b8b5ce037e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bba77c13ddb13fda330a963de1b31246.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Maybe no one in trendy suburbs in the capital cities calls the Rock Ayers Rock but out in the regions and rural areas you quite commonly hear that name. As well in the Uluru area there is this accommodation -

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/

A really good itinerary @Daveywavey70. You are seeing a great slice of Australia. Good to see Broken Hill included. You must try one of the Social clubs when there. there used to be a lot but seems a few have closed. Still going strong are the Musicians club ( Musos ) and the Barrier social democratic club ( the Demo ). Will give you a good taste of an older Australian Way of life.The Palace restaurant is good as well.

Sadly the best restaurant from my times working there has closed. obviously was a bit too innovative for the locals, It was Broken earth on the top of The Line of Lode and at night great views of the lights of the Hill. You must visit the Miners Memorial up there.

An interesting sight in Sturt Park is a memorial to the band of the Titanic.

A visit to Silverton is also recommended. And eat an old fashioned lunch at the Silverton pub. I loved their mutton stew. The Bakery there is also quite good.

Have a great time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

WOW!!!  What a wonderful and exciting adventure that is upcoming.  So many great options to consider at these various locations and ports.  What a trip to explore and experience!!

If I understand correctly you are sailing on the Celebrity Edge.  Right?  Hear it is a nice, innovative ship.  Larger than Silversea, but offering many very good on-ship options.  As detailed below, we did an exciting Sydney to Auckland sailing that offered many very good experiences.  You might check if while sailing in Doubtful Sound, they offer an overnight excursion to Queenstown.  We did that and loved the chance to see more of the scenic interior of New Zealand's South Island.  

Also while in Christchurch, they might consider excursion options to do highly-interesting Tranz Alpine Express to the heart of the Southern Alps/Arthur’s Pass National Park. And, also you could super enjoy the exciting jet-boat ride on the scenic Waimakiriri River.  Also in Sydney, consider as I did, doing a walk, up, UP, to the top of their famed Harbour Bridge, plus seeing more inside and during a performance at the Sydney Opera House.  See some details at: http://www.bridgeclimb.com.

Need proof and evidence?  See below just a few visual examples.  Keep researching and planning.  So many, many great potentials.  Happy to share more details and suggestions.

Also, love Auckland from visiting there twice.   

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,893 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Here is an example of the great views and experience when at the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.  If I can do it, then everyone can, if you dare!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2ac332118eb2cfcfe93f1deadacbcd.jpeg

The Tranz Alpine Express offers a fun and exciting exploration through New Zealand's dramatic South Island.:

image.thumb.jpeg.41900b4991446b1bca46acf63f6fbb08.jpeg

Doing the jet-boat experience is a super thrill in navigating through these narrow canyons in NZ's scenic South Island.  As the second picture proves, my wife loved it!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8c603788aaa84ef01b3b8755e99452a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b49dc0c7f85d718f5796809e56e3009a.jpeg

When doing the overnight Queenstown excursion, it allows you to see the bridge where bungee jumping was inventing, plus potentials for doing a sailing on a scenic lake to a sheep ranch, visiting cute shops, a mining town, winery, etc.  Worth checking it out.:

image.thumb.jpeg.8bd5807b7b6a7343dcb7d3b8b5ce037e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bba77c13ddb13fda330a963de1b31246.jpeg

Thanks for that Terry. The Jetboat adventure is already booked along with a 4x4 trip through the mountains. It looks a lot of fun. 

drron, I’m actually staying at the Palace Hotel in the Priscilla suite. It’s looking like I Might have to cut it to one day though as the last flight leaving Sydney on the 10th is 13.25 and my train doesn’t get in until 12.30. I’ve been looking at alternatives but haven’t found one yet. Thanks for the recommendations. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joc123 said:

"No one in Australia refers to the rock as anything but Uluru."   

That is not quite true  ! Older Australians will  still  refer to  it as Ayers Rock ! 

Ayers Rock was the most widely used name until 1993, when the rock was officially renamed Ayers Rock / Uluru – the first feature in the Northern Territory to be given dual names.In 2002 these names were reversed at the request of the Regional Tourism Association in Alice Springs and the rock took on the official name of Uluru / Ayers Rock, which it still has today. That means you can use either Uluru or Ayers Rock to refer to the rock.

Edited by rojaan19
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

"No one in Australia refers to the rock as anything but Uluru."   

That is not quite true  ! Older Australians will  still  refer to  it as Ayers Rock ! 

Ayers Rock was the most widely used name until 1993, when the rock was officially renamed Ayers Rock / Uluru – the first feature in the Northern Territory to be given dual names.In 2002 these names were reversed at the request of the Regional Tourism Association in Alice Springs and the rock took on the official name of Uluru / Ayers Rock, which it still has today. That means you can use either Uluru or Ayers Rock to refer to the rock.

Well I’ve been corrected by both husband and wife.

I shall keep quiet from now on.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the kind follow-ups.  In case there is question as to whether we actually visited Montmorency Falls, below is visual evidence.  And this provides also a current picture from yesterday to confirm that I am still alive and not using my old high school picture.  Yes, as shown, our weather for was perfect most of yesterday .  A little later afternoon rain as we return back into Quebec City, but who can complain in this city and area.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5c9cae87babc975e0f7d0caa8b22c6ea.jpeg

You and DW looking fab!