Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good afternoon Coolers ….

I don’t want to be the cause of any over-excitement in The Cooler but today is going to be a potentially exceptional day in La Cuccina.  If there is no blood.   Just soak in that sense of anticipation!  

I am still only less than half-way through my British Airways sacrificed miles for my Laurent Perrier lake.   Who wants to fly when you can bubble at home instead ….. 

So today’s eatings.  I’ll give you a clue.   The world will be our o****r!

That’s shallot. 😉

Jeff

IMG_6480.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good afternoon Coolers ….

I don’t want to be the cause of any over-excitement in The Cooler but today is going to be a potentially exceptional day in La Cuccina.  If there is no blood.   Just soak in that sense of anticipation!  

I am still only less than half-way through my British Airways sacrificed miles for my Laurent Perrier lake.   Who wants to fly when you can bubble at home instead ….. 

So today’s eatings.  I’ll give you a clue.   The world will be our o****r!

Jeff

IMG_6480.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

Have you ever tried Nanny Oggs' famous recipe for carrot and Oyster Pie Jeff? Carrots so you can see in the dark and oysters so you've got something to look at.  

• Haha 4

No excitement here Jeff; like quite a few people, I  am allergic to them, along with mussels, scallops and crab.  Love shrimp, prawn and lobster, though.  It is just a pain not being able to have boullabaisse etc., as you can't be sure what is in it.

However 'enjoy'.as they now say, and quite happy to look at photos of them, no allergy to those.  Is champagne the best thing to accompany them?  And anything with them, to add a few carbs?

• Like 1

As I have mentioned in the past, Myster is an excellent home chef.  When he needs a night off from chef-ing we head to Black Tartan Kitchen for their 7 course tasting menu and wine pairings.  There is a new offering every month.  For those interested here is the crossword menu for July.  We will be enjoying this menu on July 27th.  Yummy coming!  😋

BTKJuly2024.jpg.4ed7d5fda9f27de5bd41c318cc9636be.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

No excitement here Jeff; like quite a few people, I  am allergic to them, along with mussels, scallops and crab.  Love shrimp, prawn and lobster, though.  It is just a pain not being able to have boullabaisse etc., as you can't be sure what is in it.

However 'enjoy'.as they now say, and quite happy to look at photos of them, no allergy to those.  Is champagne the best thing to accompany them?  And anything with them, to add a few carbs?

In the Charente region they serve them with sausages. Quite rustic and delicious. We were there for a week and my darling husband ordered this every evening as a starter. 

IMG_8097.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grand Duchess said:

In the Charente region they serve them with sausages. Quite rustic and delicious. We were there for a week and my darling husband ordered this every evening as a starter. 

IMG_8097.jpeg

That looks scrumptious @Grand Duchess!

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

That looks scrumptious @Grand Duchess!

Had it with a nice Entre-deux-mers or Sancerre instead if champagne. Lovely area too, Cap Ferret, moved on to île de Ré after that. More oysters, Pineau de Charentes for apéro, and donkeys wearing trousers😊

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Had it with a nice Entre-deux-mers or Sancerre instead if champagne. Lovely area too, Cap Ferret, moved on to île de Ré after that. More oysters, Pineau de Charentes for apéro, and donkeys wearing trousers😊

Sounds like glorious experience!  And the donkeys are incredible! 😁

8 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

IMG_6491.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

Lovely, until you get a bad one. I will never eat raw oysters again. 20 years ago.

Same with Tequila. Senior year in High School Homecoming night. I cannot even stand to smell the stuff. That was my fault LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Lovely, until you get a bad one. I will never eat raw oysters again. 20 years ago.

Same with Tequila. Senior year in High School Homecoming night. I cannot even stand to smell the stuff. That was my fault LOL

Hi TB, nice to see you again!🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Love this, same thing with me and Southern Comfort

I think we all have a demon drink that we avoid based on unpleasant memories.   😅

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

IMG_6491.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

Sorry Jeff but oysters are just not for me. I can’t help but casting my mind back to the late great Lilly Savage and her comment about serving snott in an ashtray. 

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Haha 5

I'm in the middle of a week in Nova Scotia, and we're really enjoying the scenery and the food – especially Digby scallops at a restaurant in Digby, right at the harbor where the scallop boats unload their fresh hauls.  [This has probably ruined us for scallops anywhere else, just as we won't eat lobster anywhere except in Downeast Maine.]

But I want to comment on something else: the metric system!  I believe that continental European countries have gone whole-hog metric.  But it seems that English-speaking countries have a more complex relationship with it.  In England, the road signs all show distances in miles and people still give their weight in stone [some people, people my age, ok old farts!].  And in Canada, every hotel room on this trip has had one of those new through-wall AC units and the temperature settings are all in Fahrenheit [although the units are usually made by Fujitsu, which is Japanese where they are metric].  So although the US is considered the last holdout for the Imperial system, it turns out that we have company in resisting the total hegemony of metric. 

• Like 4

On 7/18/2024 at 12:59 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I loved that restaurant!  Did you have the garlic ice cream?  A very zen experience:  the bite of the garlic contrasted with  the soothing creamy mouthfeel and cold as yin and yang [or vice versa, I never remember which is which]

No we were too full after our huge meals. but we ate many times at their sister restaurant The  Dead Fish at Crockett. fantastic platters of garlic shrimp and mussels.

https://www.thedeadfish.com/menu1.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Sorry Jeff but oysters are just not for me. I can’t help but casting my mind back to the late great Lilly Savage and her comment about serving snott in an ashtray. 

I have to agree - and it applies to mussels as well.

• Like 1

Have only had oysters once some fifty years ago ….never again!

Mussels l do like but am very selective as to where l have them…

Not keen on lobster or crab…give me an old fashioned prawn cocktail and I’m happy! 
😊

• Like 1