Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Davey - I am partial to the 2009 version of Land of Hope and Glory and actually listen to it quite frequently.

We were in Honfleur today and the weather was perfect.  The crowds were not too bad even though it was a market day.  We gorged on pastries and had a Croque Monsieur for lunch.  Then we bought pain au chocolat et aux amandes for tomorrow’s breakfast although I know they won’t be as good after a day, but they will far exceed those that Silversea provides.

On to Mont-St.-Michel tomorrow and hoping the weather continues to be good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So while we're on the subject of deciphering idioms:  does anybody else who was formed in the '60s [and, unlike many, remembers it...] know why a moose is cool?

"Cool as a moose"

Sorry Jazzbeau, I am your age and from NYC, and I never heard this expression. 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zqtchas said:

old-g.png

What a fantastic photo......thanks for bringing a smile my way.😀. I was 18 when the show premiered and it was truly awesome.

i have not watched it in years........

4 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Davey - I am partial to the 2009 version of Land of Hope and Glory and actually listen to it quite frequently.

We were in Honfleur today and the weather was perfect.  The crowds were not too bad even though it was a market day.  We gorged on pastries and had a Croque Monsieur for lunch.  Then we bought pain au chocolat et aux amandes for tomorrow’s breakfast although I know they won’t be as good after a day, but they will far exceed those that Silversea provides.

On to Mont-St.-Michel tomorrow and hoping the weather continues to be good.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Hugs to you both!!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So while we're on the subject of deciphering idioms:  does anybody else who was formed in the '60s [and, unlike many, remembers it...] know why a moose is cool?

"Cool as a moose"

I only know about cucumbers in this context. Though we both think that moose are super cool animals! Interestingly, the omniscient Google thinks that "cool as a moose" originated in the mid 1950s as a play on the expression "cool as a cucumber" but I have no direct knowledge of this, obviously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I only know about cucumbers in this context. Though we both think that moose are super cool animals! Interestingly, the omniscient Google thinks that "cool as a moose" originated in the mid 1950s as a play on the expression "cool as a cucumber" but I have no direct knowledge of this, obviously.

Yeah, I read that – but it doesn't make sense because we boomers didn't use the phrase "cool as a cucumber."  It was old hat, moldy fig, parent-talk...  [And what is cool about a cucumber?  One of the few foods that repeats on me.]