Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi Coolers...…..I am glad it is Friday and the weekend is here:)

Spins, I am so sorry about that fiasco on the plane:eek:……..you can bet if this was happening now someone would be filming it and someone (flight attendant) would do SOMETHING....and possibly another passenger too. Seems as many idiots as are out there, there are good folks too so maybe another passenger would step up to the plate (we can hope).

For those of you who watched years ago......do you remember Robin Leach? He was the host of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"...…"Champagne wishes and Caviar Dreams" he was 76..…..he passed away today......which I forgot to post ...that was the point of the post...….I loved that show!

Edited by Lois R

Jeff, I loved a cigar when I was younger. Nowadays I’m happy to stand next to someone smoking a good cigar.

At our wedding I was caught by the photographer enjoying a cigar. My Mother was horrified when she saw it, but it was a favourite photo of mine.

I must look for it in our memories box. It’s 49 years ago!

There has been political upheaval here in Australia. We have a new Prime Minister.

Apparently Madam Tussauds won’t be doing anymore Australian PM's as they don’t get to finish them before the next one is appointed!

Most Australians are disgusted with the internal bickering and backstabbing.

For those of you who watched years ago......do you remember Robin Leach? He was the host of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"...…"Champagne wishes and Caviar Dreams" he was 76..…..he passed away today......which I forgot to post ...that was the point of the post...….I loved that show!

YES, Lois, that "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" was a pretty amazing television program. And, Robin Leach was never boring or bland. His show, approach and style was rather "over the top", but it was always fun and different.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,269 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks ... the Planters was good, and you may find this an interesting read .....

Every US president is plagued by Watergate

(David Finkelstein is a “Lord” who is a talented journalist and author and previously an advisor to John Major and William Hague)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/every-us-president-is-plagued-by-watergate-89m8g92sz?shareToken=be031de02d2217e0228534b4bdef3a0e

On a more sobering note (pun definitely intended) a new study indicates that no amount of alcohol is good for us.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

"A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The Global Burden of Disease study looked at levels of alcohol use and its health effects in 195 countries, including the UK, between 1990 and 2016.

Analysing data from 15 to 95-year-olds, the researchers compared people who did not drink at all with those who had one alcoholic drink a day.

They found that out of 100,000 non-drinkers, 914 would develop an alcohol-related health problem such as cancer or suffer an injury.

But an extra four people would be affected if they drank one alcoholic drink a day.

For people who had two alcoholic drinks a day, 63 more developed a condition within a year and for those who consumed five drinks every day, there was an increase of 338 people, who developed a health problem. "

I'm wondering if all the 95 year olds in the study were non-drinkers. Or even if all the 80+ year old people were non-drinkers. Hmmmmm! I think I will continue to take my chances on this score. :)

Thanks ... the Planters was good, and you may find this an interesting read .....

Every US president is plagued by Watergate

(David Finkelstein is a “Lord” who is a talented journalist and author and previously an advisor to John Major and William Hague)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/every-us-president-is-plagued-by-watergate-89m8g92sz?shareToken=be031de02d2217e0228534b4bdef3a0e

Another thought-provoking article J! Thank you!

Glad you liked the article.

To be honest I think it’s time to really ignore all these contradictory articles. I have read so many of them in some greater detail because of my old research company. It is the combined effect of flakey research conclusions often based on minor differences of inappropriate comparison groups being inflated by eye-catching news headlines.

It is a proven fact that 100% of all people that breathe is in danger of dying compared with those that have given up breathing. :D

Today is lemon sole ie fish and chips with Bredon champers ....

b0058864e7055af3aedb3914e612326d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mysty and Jeff...….good morning.....I haven't had a Planter's punch in years......I am not a rum gal but I would give that one a try;)

I need to get up and have a bagel or something for breakfast:) That plate of fish and chips looks DELICIOUS:)

Edited by Lois R

All great posts this day. Jeff I truly enjoyed the week article.

Now I need some fish and fries to go with that, and Mysty, dang it, I will have alcohol.

Funny funny Mysty...

Only a few weeks until I venture off and out to sea!

Is it true it's cold in London?

Good grief.

Happy days all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Spins .... appreciate the comments. One is never certain whether sharing articles irritates or interests. Those who are force self-educated lap up anything and everything and try to understand things. :)

It is very warm down here in The West Country. I doubt London is cold.

It is probably because I am an uncouth East-end lad but I think that fresh fish and chips (without the batter) with champers is a marriage (which is also reasonably healthy) made in heaven . Wifey however is uncultured and thinks that anything and everything goes with her almost daily champers.

Now I need some fish and fries to go with that, and Mysty, dang it, I will have alcohol. Funny funny Mysty... Only a few weeks until I venture off and out to sea! Is it true it's cold in London? Good grief. Happy days all.

YES, fish and fries can be wonderful to enjoy. As always, Mysty has wonderful, fun postings. For London, below is what AccuWeather is showing now for the current conditions there and for the next couple of days. Looking forward to following along with Spins for her trans-Atlantic sailing.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,870 views for these postings.

Here is the current and upcoming weather for London from the AccuWeather website. Shocked that they might have some rain there!! But, the temperatures do not seem too warm.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-25%20at%209.20.12%20AM_zpsbsxpyq8c.png

Hi Terry, the horrible, horrible rains are happening in Hawaii...…….that hurricane is bringing so much water:mad:

They are saying this is 6th "most water storm" in history. Harvey (last year in Texas) is #1 for the most rain...….

I feel so badly for the folks in Hawaii...…..hoping there are not too many fatalities:( (hoping for none).

Greetings Coolers!

J....that looks like a little piece of heaven. Enjoy every little bit of it!

Today's funny....

algebra.jpg

Have a great day all!

Hi Mysty…..too cute:)

I hated Algebra in school......actually I hated math overall...…..life has a way of really being weird......I hated math and never did well in it...(really was bad) and all these years later I am in Accounts Receivable for a living...I take your $$ and apply it to your account:eek:

Hi Terry, the horrible, horrible rains are happening in Hawaii...…….that hurricane is bringing so much water:mad: They are saying this is 6th "most water storm" in history. Harvey (last year in Texas) is #1 for the most rain...….I feel so badly for the folks in Hawaii...…..hoping there are not too many fatalities:( (hoping for none).

While we have only visited Hawaii once (coming through and going back through in doing our Australia/New Zealand trip in 2014), it seems that these islands never seem to have hurricanes and/or such bad rains. BUT, Hawaii has been hit so very hard with this massive storm. Plus, the huge lava flows on the Big Island. It's been extremely challenging there!! But, we hope to go back and explore there more on this tropical paradise. Normally, their weather is so perfectly predictable and consistently beautiful.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 210,415 views for this posting.

To me Saturday has so much to do with reading stuff that is simply there rather than what you look for ... and in that spirit I share an interesting article for those with unencumbered time to read, about Philip Larkin the poet by his friend and unexpected biographer.

I enjoy Saturday reading because you read and learn things you had never intended to when you woke up. :)

My friend Philip Larkin

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/andrew-motion-on-philip-larkin-i-miss-his-jokes-he-made-me-laugh-d7ff869zm?shareToken=662a237cec9f281171b96afcc8f8473b

Morning all. It rained overnight here on the west coast, for which we are all very thankful as it settled some of the smoke. Not quite enough to put out any fires, but the rain is now clearing up and blue sky is showing again. Much better than the orange sun we've been seeing lately through the haze. The rain was a nice respite!

That hurricane that is headed to Hawaii can just skip the islands and come straight here. We need that rain to put out the fires.

If it's not one thing, it's another. Feast or famine!

Bookings for reservations and shore excursions opened up earlier this week for our Christmas cruise on the Whisper, so now I'm on official countdown! Last year at this time we were on our TA on the Whisper. I wasn't able to convince DH to do the WC in 2019, but last night he said "So, you REALLY want to do this 2020 WC?" so the hints might be working! I'm bound and determined to get free laundry somehow!

Hope everyone is having a good day.