Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Age doesn't help. And the fact that we simply love to eat good food. And drink good wine. And take lots of trips where we eat and drink too much.

We are grudgingly resigned to the fact that we're just not going to get back to where we were ten years ago. With regard to weight, that is... But life is better in other ways, so we shall carry on!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Last time I was in the states I picked up a hitchhiker. He asked me how I knew he wasn't a psychopathic serial killer.

I told him: what are the chances of having 2 psychopathic serial killers in the same car at the same time?

Sorry, Mudhen! We arrive in London the 6th and leave the 7th. Back the night of the 17th and fly home the 19th.

On the 9th we'll be arriving into Hamburg. Remind me again, why are you in London?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We're doing an overnight in London and then board the Spirit (with Spins!) for the TA on the 10th!

23 days and a wake up to go!

Last time I was in the states I picked up a hitchhiker. He asked me how I knew he wasn't a psychopathic serial killer.

I told him: what are the chances of having 2 psychopathic serial killers in the same car at the same time?

OhMyGoodness, that's hysterical! I just took a big drink of iced tea and have baptized my laptop. This morning was dedicated to dealing with the office psychopath, so it's doubly funny. Just forwarded to the dear girl's officemate, and I can hear the laughter over here.

Jan

No doubt Lois, a great talent. Carole King, however, was not a "soul singer" and, therefore, I preferred her style.

I LOVE Carole King too:)……….one of the first albums I ever bought was "TAPESTRY"...…..

I was not comparing the 2 of them really, I was just commenting that she will be missed.

And for Today's history lesson......

"Weeks of dry, hot weather have exposed the outlines of several archaeological sites across the U.K., dating back thousands of years.

Drier soil conditions have allowed archaeologists to capture aerial photographs of previously hidden features from ancient times, to reveal farms, burial monuments, ditches, walls and vegetation patterns, or cropmarks. The patterns of these structures can be seen from the air as the vegetation dies back in dry conditions."

u-k-heatwave-ancient-sites.jpg

"The circular feature, seen from the air, is thought to be evidence of a Roman-era round house near St. Ive, a village in Cornwall in southwest England. Such a settlement would typically have a circular bank and outer ditch, with a single entrance. (Damian Grady/Historic England)."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-heatwave-ancient-sites-revealed-1.4787672

Mysty I just want to say thank you for your funnies as they definitely make me laugh.:D

I found it interesting about the archeological finds. I read an article last week about it and found it fascinating. I guess there is a silver lining in this heat wave. Not for the farmers though I am sure, our farmers on the East Coast of Australia are suffering with the drought.

I am an Aretha Franklin fan and am feeling very sad as she had an amazing voice and succeeded through adversity.

Julie

Is there anyone here able to explain why the outlines of buried buildings/foundations appear so clearly in a drought ? There must be several/many metres of soil over the original ruins so why?

There is rarely several metres but perhaps more like a metre? And I suspect it is about rain absorption and moisture retention.

https://www.arch.cam.ac.uk/research/projects/canterbury-hinterland/aerial-photographic-project

Yes J...that is awesome! I wonder what is was.

A Tudor garden?

We are lucky enough to have both a Roman villa site and a banjo settlement in our village.

Others ...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&hs=4Ih&biw=2254&bih=824&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=msd2W7DwEoSbsAeAw4cg&q=dry+weather+archeology&oq=dry+weather+archeology&gs_l=img.3..0.13001.14435.0.14740.8.8.0.0.0.0.61.383.8.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.1.53....0.IdlSVrnv--I