Caribbean Ports - Bugs

jrlamour

Which Caribbean ports are the worst for bugs? Going late October/early November.

Went to the Mayan ruins in costa maya last November got bit by chiggers itched for 3 months! Worst itch of my life! Horrible!

Even though I’ve heard of bug problems, and packed repellant, I’ve actually never encountered any, particularly cruising/vacationing in the Fall...

We have rarely seen bugs anywhere in the Caribbean except for sand fleas, mainly in Roatan Because hubby is so bothered by insects we do take deep with us and use it when we are on a boat trip down one of the rivers plus he takes it to the beach in Roatan. For me, no problem.

Went to the Mayan ruins in costa maya last November got bit by chiggers itched for 3 months! Worst itch of my life! Horrible!

wow, chiggers are usually in grass and rocks only and as bad as they are, the itch usually only lasts a few days. Hubby can't even go outside to light the grill in the summer without spraying deep on his legs, arms and any other place that is exposed except for his face. Are you sure it was chiggers than nibbled at you?

wow, chiggers are usually in grass and rocks only and as bad as they are, the itch usually only lasts a few days. Hubby can't even go outside to light the grill in the summer without spraying deep on his legs, arms and any other place that is exposed except for his face. Are you sure it was chiggers than nibbled at you?

Yes! I did not climb the ruins i was wearing flip flops so i waited on a bench at the bottom and I’m sure that’s where i was bit. Went to dermatologist when i got home. He said in rare cases it can last longer. Nothing stopped the itch! Eventually was recommended to put clear nail polish on the bites and that worked!! We will be in Costa maya agin this November i will not be leaving the ship!:o

Yes! I did not climb the ruins i was wearing flip flops so i waited on a bench at the bottom and I’m sure that’s where i was bit. Went to dermatologist when i got home. He said in rare cases it can last longer. Nothing stopped the itch! Eventually was recommended to put clear nail polish on the bites and that worked!! We will be in Costa maya agin this November i will not be leaving the ship!:o

We hang out at Maya Chan on the beach when in Costa Maya. Have never had any bug issues at all. But different people attract bugs differently I think.

We hang out at Maya Chan on the beach when in Costa Maya. Have never had any bug issues at all. But different people attract bugs differently I think.

Thank you. I have been looking at that excursion. If not i will have a spa day on the ship!🤷🏻*♀️

Thank you. I have been looking at that excursion. If not i will have a spa day on the ship!🤷🏻*♀️

We are real Maya Chan fans. It's small, basic, and not at all exotic. However, wonderful hosts, wonderful food, all day drinks. Very relaxing. Need to book pretty quick usually. They limit the number of guests and sell out frequently. Search them on trip adviser for lots of pictures and reviews. Oh, the cab ride (included in the price) is an eye opener. Bumpy dirt road. About 20 minute drive.

I got bitten by sand fleas on Maya Key in Roatan last November. My fourth time there and never bitten before. The itching lasted for about two weeks.

Me, too. Eaten alive, actually. Oddly they didn't bother my husband.