Decline in food quality?

unclebobg

The food isn't cutting it anymore, and we're just novice foodies. I didn't have a problem with the fish and sides, but the other entrees on the American Table menu seemed like a serious step down in quality and preparation. I haven't touched the buffet since the Victory 2011, which was fine for what it was, but the following two cruises, everything looked dried out and unappetizing. Tea Time is a shadow of it's former self, and Brunch seems limited now.

These new venues Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana are a gimmick to create brand loyalty, likely actually saving the cruise line money. I didn't care for either one, a gutbomb vs pseudo. Not that the old grill was anything special, but I did miss the Wok.

The pizza is actually much better, yay to a broken clock.

..... yea but fares keep rising, ship tour prices keep rising, soda and liquor prices keep rising, pay restaurants , once a day service from steward, etc.

I am can deal with most of it but not when they go after food quality.

We booked Pride in 2012 for $1400 and for $1600 in 2018. Fares aren't rising that much and imagine how much more they'd be rising without Carnival making changes.

Maybe its us, but we have no problem with the variety/quality of carnival's food! Always gain weight by the end so somethings OK!-))

Not just you. We also have never had a problem with the food, and usually skip the MDR all together.

If you find the food inedible, it seems foolish to me to spend money on a cruise.

Yes. The better question is not what is wrong with Carnival (They know what they are doing), but what is wrong with the people who are complaining?

What I notice is that the quality of the food is great from a service and preparation perspective. The quality of the provisions has slipped. Not only on cruise lines, but across the board, even in your supermarket. There are few suppliers, and few farmers that can supply enough food for a week to feed 5000 people. My company uses the same suppliers as Carnival in Long Beach. We cannot get the quality at any price for the quantity of food needed. Perhaps filet and lobster might creep back on the menu, now that food shipments to China have suddenly stopped.

You are write about that. I can't even purchase reasonably priced chicken at the supermarket that isn't full of water. Or produce that isn't already starting to turn. Quality everywhere has declined.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Barring your last statement which I've highlighted in red, I agree with you 100%. For anyone who has cruised with Carnival since, at least, the year 2000, I cannot see how they could believe that the food quality has not deteriorated significantly.

My first cruise was in 2001 when Carnival had just one ship out of Galveston(One more in 2002 on RCL). Took a long break from cruising and have been cruising once a year since 2013 mostly on Dream and Conquest class ships.

I wouldn't say the food quality has deteriorated, but the menu variety in MDR has shrunk while others have expanded significantly. Like a lot of other posters have mentioned, Pizza, Guy burgers, Blue Iguana, Tandoor, Asian Wok, Sea day brunch, Sea day bbq, vegetarian options in MDR daily are all either vastly improved or excellent additions which caters to the clientele and tastes of today. I somewhat fondly remember the desserts in the MDR as some how fantastic in the 2000's, but don't have the same sense of awe with the recent desserts (although I totally dig some of the offerings in the coffee bar and afternoon tea !!!!!)

I live in a major metro which has some of the best steak houses in the nation and I would put the Carnival Steak house experience against most of them at barely a fraction of the price. The sushi place is pretty damn good.

I also believe (like a lot of others) that there is a menu fatigue due to our frequent cruising and familiarity with the offerings. All said, I would take today's offerings than what was available as a whole in the 2000's. I would rather the cruise prices stay at the levels they are and additional premium offerings are on a pay per use basis.

Edited by cruising_along
spelling

I don't consider myself a foodie at all, although I enjoy a high-end steakhouse and other nice restaurants. However, I have never found Carnival's food to be inedible, it isn't great, but it isn't bad either. That is about what I'd expect for the price point of a Carnival cruise. It does seem that the selections in the MDR have decreased, but they have also added a number of specialty restaurants as well so the variety of food offerings has probably stayed the same or even increased.

What is interesting is that this does seem to be consistent feedback across all of the mainstream cruise lines (Carnival, RCL, Princess, and Norwegian). It does make me wonder if they have truly cut back on their food costs, or, like others have said, have a problem obtaining high-quality ingredients.

For those of you who hate the food, do you send it back, or order an alternative when you are on board? If not, it seems like it may not be as bad as you describe.

Very typical of many consumers today. Like the people who complain about flying. I want included baggage, food, drinks, larger seats, etc. Which parts of it am I willing to pay for? None of it. Comparing to the past is pointless. I can also compare that McDonald's used to be higher quality. Now what? The entire market has evolved. People want price.

If you want fancy dining, there are many cruise options for 2-3x the price. Carnival has presented tremendous value which the market has demanded. For the vast majority of people, the included dining options are sufficient. Your anecdotal "inedible MDR food" experience is not taken seriously. Even after all that, even if you want fancy dining without ridiculous cruise fare, Carnival offers specialty dining at reasonable prices. If you think it is reasonable to offer free steakhouse to everyone aboard, at Carnival prices, then by all means start your own cruise line.

Is the MDR perfect? No. I've had a few stinkers there. As I have had at other restaurants too. By and large, I enjoy my food there. On my last trip, I had fantastic short rib, filet mignon, lobster, etc all for free. I know that it is a huge problem that the lobsters are small. Even though a 2nd is free, that is just too inconvenient.

I sailed on The Miracle in January 2017 and decided to have breakfast in the MDR one morning only to discover the frozen waffles and pancakes of the buffet were the same ones I was being served in the MDR. I had gone there hoping to get a freshly made waffle. Nope, same heated up Eggo waffles as far as I could tell.

That said, the food wasn't bad and I always found something I liked, either at the buffet, the sandwich shop or pizza place.

If you want fancy dining, there are many cruise options for 2-3x the price. Carnival has presented tremendous value which the market has demanded. For the vast majority of people, the included dining options are sufficient. Your anecdotal "inedible MDR food" experience is not taken seriously. Even after all that, even if you want fancy dining without ridiculous cruise fare, Carnival offers specialty dining at reasonable prices. If you think it is reasonable to offer free steakhouse to everyone aboard, at Carnival prices, then by all means start your own cruise line.

Carnival is not the most cost effective cruise line once you add a $35 Steakhouse visit per night.

December 2018, 7 nights out of Tampa

Carnival starts at $579 + $245

Holland America starts at $519

April 2019, 7 nights out of Puerto Rico

Carnival starts at $479 + $245

Celebrity starts at $649

July 2019, 7 nights Alaska

Carnival starts at $1,069 + $245

Celebrity starts at $884

Holland America starts at $899

Princess starts at $898

September 2019, 7 nights to Bermuda

Carnival starts at $639 + $245

Celebrity starts at $849

I did not read thru the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up. I have been cruising for over 30 years, and I agree that the quality has gone down in that time, and that in my opinion has to do with the increase in ship size and passenger capacity. As passenger capacity has increased from 1,000 to 2,000, to 4,000 and above, the food has gone from what I would say would be good wedding food, to banquet quality, to now is it really buffet quality which is just plated and served to you in the MRS. That rare prime rib or steak that you order is pulled from the pile of "rare" ones, not made to order. There is a reason the the Lido buffet is serving most of what is on the MDR menu that night. It's that way on all the mass market lines. I accept that for what it is. That is also why we will visit the Specialty restaurants if the ship has them, because there the food is cooked to order! :cool:

I have to disagree that the food decline is based on the amount of people, only because the fantasy class ships the food is much worse, alot less selection/variety and the larger newer ships are better.

It's okay to disagree.😁 Food is so subjective anyway. We tend to like the food in the MDR better on the Fantasy class ships, but love the Specialty restaurants on the newer ships.

I did not read thru the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up. I have been cruising for over 30 years, and I agree that the quality has gone down in that time, and that in my opinion has to do with the increase in ship size and passenger capacity. As passenger capacity has increased from 1,000 to 2,000, to 4,000 and above, the food has gone from what I would say would be good wedding food, to banquet quality, to now is it really buffet quality which is just plated and served to you in the MRS. That rare prime rib or steak that you order is pulled from the pile of "rare" ones, not made to order. There is a reason the the Lido buffet is serving most of what is on the MDR menu that night. It's that way on all the mass market lines. I accept that for what it is. That is also why we will visit the Specialty restaurants if the ship has them, because there the food is cooked to order! :cool:

I admire a scope of 30 years of sailing! Also a consideration though, I bet in that time the rates you have seen for similar rooms have stayed similar, or at least barely stayed current with inflation? Another big factor.

Hi

Your quote "Any negative discussion is is a good discussion on the Carnival forum." Really? Are you a joker of some kind? What is the point?

The point is if you have a "negative " discussion, people will read it and maybe they will read it before they make a decision. My goal in life, is to persuade people not to go on a Carnival cruise. It's a "hobby" of mine and I have some success stories. The more posts the greater the number of people see it.

If this was something new or something specific to Carnival, maybe you could start another thread that starts with "another cutback", but get real, this has been voiced over and over and over again since I joined this site.

If you feel that this product is no longer for you, then you shouldn't support it. (I don't) Talk with your money, (I do) buy a different product. (I do) Call the company, write to them, tell them that you are tired with eating their crap. (Does not work because too many people enjoy eating a hamburger) Please, you don't need to tell me again, that this is the last straw and you won't sail with them again. ( I never say it's the last straw or It's my last trip. That happened a while ago) It keeps sounding like a joke. The ship?

hope this helps

Boards are open discussions, and when a product is bad, people like to share.

Carnival is not the most cost effective cruise line once you add a $35 Steakhouse visit per night.

Celebrity starts at $649

Celebrity starts at $884

Princess starts at $898

Celebrity starts at $849

I tell people all the time, to look at each cruise line, add the extra's into the price, to arrive at final price. For example, NCL includes drinks, but raises the price to pay for it. So get the "final" picture and look. Many times, Carnival is far from the cheapest. But they have an awesome hamburger.

I admire a scope of 30 years of sailing! Also a consideration though, I bet in that time the rates you have seen for similar rooms have stayed similar, or at least barely stayed current with inflation? Another big factor.

Oh yea! On my first cruise in 1985 on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Holiday, I paid 1,485 for an inside cabin. I can do two or more weeks for that price now. Of course something had to give and has, which is okay by me if it keeps prices low.:cool:

Celebrity starts at $649

Celebrity starts at $884

Princess starts at $898

Celebrity starts at $849

I can only imagine how much info you omitted to make your point. You probably have a bright future working for the big news stations. We all know that Carnival is not ALWAYS the cheapest. To make it sound like their prices are generally comparable to Princess, Celebrity, and HAL is a silly argument. Those are all fine cruise lines, but comparable overall, they are not.

I can only imagine how much info you omitted to make your point. You probably have a bright future working for the big news stations. We all know that Carnival is not ALWAYS the cheapest. To make it sound like their prices are generally comparable to Princess, Celebrity, and HAL is a silly argument. Those are all fine cruise lines, but comparable overall, they are not.

Thank you, but it was actually more difficult finding 7 day cruises from the same ports, while avoiding Miami because it gets muffled with too many ships. To be fair, I only omitted Carnival ($569) vs Princess ($1,049) to New England, because $1,000+ for an inside cabin for 7 days seems insane. (There are 13 day reposition cruises for less than that, but besides the point).

So comparing Apples to Apples, Carnival was more expensive 80% of the time when you add a daily steakhouse visit, and more expensive 40% of the time without, under 5 seasonal searches.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Thank you, but it was actually more difficult finding 7 day cruises from the same ports, while avoiding Miami because it gets muffled with too many ships. To be fair, I only omitted Carnival ($569) vs Princess ($1,049) to New England, because $1,000+ for an inside cabin for 7 days seems insane. (There are 13 day reposition cruises for less than that, but besides the point).

So comparing Apples to Apples, Carnival was more expensive 80% of the time when you add a daily steakhouse visit, and more expensive 40% of the time without, under 5 seasonal searches.

Which is only food for thought (pun intended) if one is eating in the steakhouse daily. The closest I'll ever come to the steakhouse is ordering an a la carte item off of the MDR menu and since I've done that I don't have to do it again.

I've only been cruising since 2013, but to me the food on Lido has always been mostly-to-be-avoided, and MDR brunch and dinner are "pretty good", but the pay-restaurants are worth the upcharge. For example, the steaks served in the steakhouse would cost much more than $35 for comparable cuts of prime meat on land.

I think, now that they've removed the tablecloths, there's more of a balance in ambiance and food quality in MDR.

Fieri's slimeburgers are acceptable for THIS burger lover. I tend to eat two burgers a week on average and I like Whole Foods burgers and my charcoal grill with hickory chips burgers best.