Pacific Jewel to leave the P&O fleet March 2019

Press release from P&O Australia today

We have important news on the ongoing transformation of the P&O Cruises fleet. Our fleet refresh is gathering pace with today’s announcement that a second Grand-class ship -- the 3100-guest Star Princess -- will join her sister Golden Princess in our fleet. Golden Princess’ P&O debut is in October 2020 and Star Princess joins in late 2021.

This new chapter in our fleet transformation means farewelling the much loved Pacific Jewel after nearly 10 years of introducing many Australian and New Zealand guests to cruising.

“A jewel by name and nature,”’ as our President Sture Myrmell has said today. Pacific Jewel leaves us in March next year but please rest assured we will be contacting guests with bookings on Jewel after this time offering cruises that best match their needs.

We apologise for any inconvenience as we work through these arrangements and thank our guests for their patience. Today’s announcement - along with Pacific Eden’s farewell in April next year -- is another important step in the transformation of the P&O Cruises fleet as we continue to offer great value cruise holidays as Australia’s homegrown cruise line.

Dedicated telephone and email channels have been established for guests who have questions related to an affected cruise:

· Australia Phone line: 1300 550 491

· New Zealand Phone line: 0800 543 177

· Email Address: cruiseupdates@pocruises.com.au

So Star Princess is going to P&O Straya. No doubt they will fill her up. We were on Star Princess first cruise out of Sydney, in fact her first visit to Sydney, Feb 2004. She was about 2 years old then, a real stunner she looked at Circular Quay.:halo: Back then, 14 years ago. She will be around 17 years old when she joins P&O.:rolleyes:

We went on Star Princess last year to Alaska, and she's just fine. Ok, not exactly the newest and shiniest ship, but far from terrible.

Interesting that they are looking to boost the overall capacity of the fleet (both Star and Golden carry around 3000 passengers I think), I would have thought that they'd look to mostly use medium-sized ships, but I guess what do I know.

Another interesting point is that they will go around 18 months with only 3 ships in the fleet (Aria, Explorer, Dawn), and then a further 12 months with only 4. This really limits the cruising options out of Australia in the winter months for a couple of years.

We went on Star Princess last year to Alaska, and she's just fine. Ok, not exactly the newest and shiniest ship, but far from terrible.

Interesting that they are looking to boost the overall capacity of the fleet (both Star and Golden carry around 3000 passengers I think), I would have thought that they'd look to mostly use medium-sized ships, but I guess what do I know.

Another interesting point is that they will go around 18 months with only 3 ships in the fleet (Aria, Explorer, Dawn), and then a further 12 months with only 4. This really limits the cruising options out of Australia in the winter months for a couple of years.

Matching shopping trolleys for P&O.

Its sad to hear that the Pacific Jewel is leaving the P&O fleet :(

I have only managed to sail on her once :(, we might have to try and do another cruise on her before she leaves the fleet :)

It will be interesting to see what P&O do to the Star Princess.

The Star Princess was one of the very first cruise ships I saw in Auckland harbour!, and at the time I thought she was a big ship!!

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

Its sad to hear that the Pacific Jewel is leaving the P&O fleet :(

I have one managed to sail on her once :(, we might have to try and do another cruise on her before she leaves the fleet :)

The Star Princess was one of the very first cruise ships I saw in Auckland harbour!, and at the time I thought she was big ship!!

It will be interesting to see if they retro fit extra berths in the cabins to make 'friendly fours' like they did on ye olde Regal Princess before conversion to Pacific Dawn.:evilsmile:

The Star Princess was one of the very first cruise ships I saw in Auckland harbour!, and at the time I thought she was big ship!!

When Star Princess did her first sail away From Auckland she brought the waterfront to a halt and caused gridlock from the numbers that had turned out to see such a big ship.:)

It will be interesting to see if they retro fit extra berths in the cabins to make 'friendly fours' like they did on ye olde Regal Princess before conversion to Pacific Dawn.:evilsmile:

Didn't do it with Aria or Eden, nor Dawn Princess, nor planned for Golden Princess, so not expecting it to be done here.

My bet ( and its only my bet, no info) is that the proposed sale to Cartoon Network mooted in January was always going ahead, despite P&O saying otherwise . https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8361

Time will tell.

Well, I was wrong on that one. Pacific Jewel is going to be cruising out of India.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19538-zen-cruises-to-start-in-india-with-pacific-jewel.html

Before the announcement that she was leaving I got a good deal on a QLD coastal on her, I’ve only been on once before but enjoyed the Thermal suite so thought I’d go again. Glad I decided to as she is another ship I’m managing to be doing a farewell cruise on. Will be interesting to see how I feel as I will have only just stepped off The Majestic 2 weeks earlier [emoji44]

But each ship has its good points and am just lucky to be cruising !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

India will be a great cruising destination.
There will be some great curries on board, lubbly jubbly.

The 6th name for the ship, to be operated by Zen Cruises. I do like the class, not been on PJ but been old Regal Princess, (now Pacific Dawn) a sister ship.

Didn't do it with Aria or Eden, nor Dawn Princess, nor planned for Golden Princess, so not expecting it to be done here.
Princess learnt their mistake with Island Princess, adding extra accommodations. :evilsmile:

We did a short cruise on her, unfortunately at a time my health was at its worst and only starting to realise I remember nothing of that cruise.

The girls enjoyed spending time watching Marcia Hines. Or so they tell me, I couldn’t tell you anything about it, I was heavily medicated at the time.