Kids in another stateroom

Tntt

We are booked on symphony for may 2019 because it was the cheapest sailing next yr. I guess we waited too late because all of the cabins that hold 4 guest or more are booked& they have no more connecting rms and all that is left is owners suites which are 2500.00 per person. We had to resort to 2 rooms side by side and our teen children will be in one and we will be next door. I'm still a little nervous because there wont be any type of adjoining door that I could keep a eye on them. Have anyone ever cruised and your children had separate rooms? Is this a safe option?

We are booked on symphony for may 2019 because it was the cheapest sailing next yr. I guess we waited too late because all of the cabins that hold 4 guest or more are booked& they have no more connecting rms and all that is left is owners suites which are 2500.00 per person. We had to resort to 2 rooms side by side and our teen children will be in one and we will be next door. I'm still a little nervous because there wont be any type of adjoining door that I could keep a eye on them. Have anyone ever cruised and your children had separate rooms? Is this a safe option?

If it´s a safe option or not depends on your teens and how much you trust them.

We have had our kids in another room since they were 9 & 5.

Whether it be next door or across the hall, whatever works.

There is no way I would want them in the same cabin as me & my wife.

And I was just the opposite, no way I would want mine in another room. Even now with them grown and on their own, my adult daughter frequently vacations with us and she always stays in our room even when her apartment is only a mile away!!

After you board, stop by guest services and get a space key for the kids room. This way, you can check the room any time you want...

(We book a balcony, with the kids across the hall in an inside. We get spare keys for each room.)

Aloha,

John

And I was just the opposite, no way I would want mine in another room. Even now with them grown and on their own, my adult daughter frequently vacations with us and she always stays in our room even when her apartment is only a mile away!!

Just like you, we love our kids very much. We are with them much of the time.

However I do not need to be with them 24/7.

Everyone needs space and cruise ship cabins are much to small for 4 people.

Privacy is also a huge issue.

I know for many couples, this is low priority or non-existent.

But on a cruise, me and my wife like take advantage of our vacation.

Yes, I get that and I guess we were/are one of those low priority couples. But I would never have been comfortable with my kids in another cabin. The cabin was small for the 4 of us and poor hubby got stuck with a upper berth because our daughter was too scared to sleep up there! But we managed just fine.

We absolutely need our privacy on vacation if it is longer than a weekend or so. We've had the kids in a separate hotel room or cruise ship cabin for the last few years. On our next cruise our teens will be across the hall and the youngest is bunking with grandma. On our last land vacation they were across the hall and 2 doors down from us. I like to make sure I have a key to their room so I can pop in and check on them (and wake them up in the mornings if needed) and they call or text us if they need something.

You didn’t say what kind of room - but if you have neighboring balcony rooms - you can have the balcony divider opened up and walk between the two rooms that way. It’s not the same as having adjoining rooms but does add some ease of access between the two and some easy balcony family time.

We had adjoining balconies on our last cruise - but we didn’t keep the door all the way open when sleeping so the kids didn’t have to listen to their dad snoring. I would meet my son on the balcony each morning when my husband and daughter were still asleep! It was a lot of fun!

Would I prefer adjoining rooms? Yes! But I think we could live without them on future cruises....my kids are 8 and 12 now.

(We did the 4 of us in one room when they were little but the adjoining rooms only cost $150 more total for our last cruise and we got a second bathroom and a lot more space. This is what we will do from now on!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that was some sort of insult attempt.

Next time try to make some sort of sense...

I don't think it was an insult. I think he was just stating that your kids wouldn't want to be in the same room as you either especially if you are enjoying vacation time.

Personally I'm looking for an empty nest so I can move to Florida and grab all of the last minute cruise deals. I was half way there until one came back. At least he didn't bring anyone else with him. He and a friend will be joining us on our next cruise in a non adjoining room He's 23 and paid his own way. At least I have that going for me.

If your teens stay home alone when at home then I think it would fine. My kids are 10 and 7 and there is no way I would put them in a room by themselves . If people need that much time away from their kids then they should cruise without them.

If people need that much time away from their kids then they should cruise without them.

So at home they sleep in your bedroom?

It's not about "that much" time away it's about just sleeping and a little privacy. OP still wants to enjoy the vacation with their kids. They just want some time alone, just like at home.

Not to judge anyone's parenting decisions as it's all about what you are comfortable with for your own kids and it's nobodies decision but the parents.

If the kids are out after parents go to their cabin then tell them to knock on your door or the wall when they get in. If you set a curfew tell them the countdown timer on your phone better not go off before they knock on the wall. If you have wifi have them text you when they come in.

If they are in their room at the same time then they know not to open the door unless somebody calls on the cabin phone first.

No they don't sleep in my room at home. But I also don't have 4,000 strangers in my home either. Again I said it would be fine for Teens to be in their own rooms, its 5 year olds alone that I think is a bad parenting choice.

If your teens stay home alone when at home then I think it would fine. My kids are 10 and 7 and there is no way I would put them in a room by themselves . If people need that much time away from their kids then they should cruise without them.

Ditto. I wouldn't be comfortable either at that age. Even now with our kids 13 and 9 we all stay in one room. For a future cruise, we have 2 rooms but they are connecting (which isn't an option for OP based on availability)

I personally would find another sailing to get connecting rooms. My kids are 8 and 14, 8 year old can be a bit of an escape artist and 14 year old is a little naive and too trusting at times. But only you know whether your kids are going to be OK in another room.

We booked connecting balconies a couple of years ago and I got so freaked out about my younger one getting out onto the balcony that we canceled. My friend who has boys the same age let hers play out there all day on their vacation and they were fine. Every kid is different.

I understand your concern. Just make sure you establish rules before the cruise. Are you teens curfew breakers? If not then you shouldn't have any concerns. I wonder if you could get a baby monitor and set it up in the rooms and use that as a threat to make sure they comply with rules. :evilsmile::evilsmile::loudcry: