Tamarind Restaurant

mcrcruiser

For that reason we will not be eating in the Tamarind. :eek:

As stated, you can order it on the side or without. I am not fond of wasabi but ordered it “as is” anyway. I didn’t find it the least bit spicy. The steak was the best I’ve ever had onboard any of our cruises, though. My hubby, who doesn’t like this type of food, went because he knew how much I wanted to. We went back 2 more times on our 11 day cruise in February and each time was excellent. Don’t let one dish deter you from enjoying the Tamarind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, can any of you tell me what dishes we might like to order, if we like 'Americanized' asian foods.

I don't think I am into the more pungent ginger and tamarind.

I like spicy, but not hot. We like the flavor but don't want our mouths on fire!

I have heard about the spicy shrimp, might not be too hot?

The sea bass or barramundi might be really good. (if it is the good barramundi, not the farm raised fish that can be called barramundi)

Plenty of flavor, like soy, sweet, garlic, is good!!!! Just not to too hot or pungent.

I have eaten at the Tamarind twice: Once on the Koningsdam and once on the Eurodam. I love Chinese food. I go to Chinese restaurants in the US regularly and I have been to China eleven times. I know what real Chinese food is and I know what American Chinese food is. I like both. The Tamarind does not serve and does not specialize in Chinese food. They advertise their menu as Asian fusion. The Spicy Shrimp dish, which I ordered last month on the Koningsdam, would not be served at any Chinese restaurant that I know of and neither would the sea bass! Perhaps, I do not like Asian fusion cuisine. I think is worth trying the Tamarind but I am not as wowed by their food as others are.

I have eaten at the Tamarind twice: Once on the Koningsdam and once on the Eurodam. I love Chinese food. I go to Chinese restaurants in the US regularly and I have been to China eleven times. I know what real Chinese food is and I know what American Chinese food is. I like both. The Tamarind does not serve and does not specialize in Chinese food. They advertise their menu as Asian fusion. The Spicy Shrimp dish, which I ordered last month on the Koningsdam, would not be served at any Chinese restaurant that I know of and neither would the sea bass! Perhaps, I do not like Asian fusion cuisine. I think is worth trying the Tamarind but I am not as wowed by their food as others are.

ITA- this is westernized pan-asiian dining. And it does offer some fun new flavors during the shipboard dining experience. I don't think it ever presented itself to be authentic - it needs to hit middle of the road and be something different from the standard ship board fare. And it succeeds as this limited dining novelty.

Why not check it out on our Eurodam sailing to Mexico in December? ;):)

Ah yes we did not think of that :confused:

We though that Tamarind Rest was only on the Koningsdam:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up :p

Nieuw Statendam will also have a Tamarind on the Panorama deck. We like Tamarind for the total experience. The food is certainly the main draw however the dining room is also beautiful and the dining staff is first rate. When we get around to sailing on the Nieuw Statendam we'll certainly eat in Tamarind again (although I suspect our next encounter will be on Eurodam next summer).

For that reason we will not be eating in the Tamarind. :eek:

Please don't let that stop you! Wasabi is an Asian condiment (sort of like horseradish, or mustard in other parts of the world), and is typically served on the side. But as has already been mentioned you can order any dish without the wasabi if you want to.

So again, please give Tamarind a try, it's an awesome experience, and the food is excellent (with or without the wasabi). ;)

I choose our next cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam specifically because it includes this restaurant. We experienced it on the Eurodam a few years back, and I suspect we will enjoy at least two meals out of seven there. So many things on their menu are calling my name!

Just so long as you don't get a big chunk of raw wasabi root in the paste. :o
I order it with the wasabi so that it gets the flavoring while cooking but scrape most of it off to eat on the side, just a little bit at each bite!

Although tasty the Tamarind can never be Hong Kong. We go for the overall ambience and some tasty flavors. Fun time.

It is not Japan, Vietnam or Indonesia either. Just a fun take on all of the above. Love it.